Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2008, 10:57 PM

826 posts, read 1,625,470 times

Advertisements

Once you are 18, out of high school, you are not eligible to stay on your parents plan (I wasn't). Since I was 18 and almost out of high school it was better for me to drop off my mom's plan and get my own because I wouldn't be starting college for a while and did not want to have no insurance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2008, 11:00 PM
YBF

1,260 posts, read 3,358,477 times
[quote=mommytotwo;5413044]I am sorry, I question the validity of these posts......

You were in high school, and you got insurance from your job at a fast food restaurant?

Did you not mention the great rates your family/parents got for insurance? (can't remember if it was you or someone else).

(this ques is not for seven of nine, it's in response to their post responding to Slash83's post)

Why would a high school student be buying his/her own health insurance?[quote]

You know you might be the smartest one on here...My mom worked for the state and her insurance paid for everything!!!! I was very sad to have been dropped from that when the time came. So why would a HS student pay for something they already have? I know I spent my hard earned money on clothes and saved to buy a car..

Old 09-24-2008, 11:02 PM
YBF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slash83 View Post
Once you are 18, out of high school, you are not eligible to stay on your parents plan (I wasn't). Since I was 18 and almost out of high school it was better for me to drop off my mom's plan and get my own because I wouldn't be starting college for a while and did not want to have no insurance.
Incorrect....once you are 18 and out of school period..if you went to college you would still be eligible for your parents benefits.

Old 09-24-2008, 11:04 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,716,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytotwo View Post
The insurance for my family is $550 BIWEEKLY. That is 1100 PER MONTH. The alternative was $750 BIWEEKLY or 1500 PER MONTH.
Welcome to regulations prohibiting purchase of health insurance across state lines. Your insurance cost would be 1/3rd of that for the same plan here in Texas.

You bring up a good point from your example... the state where you live has much to do with your options.

Old 09-24-2008, 11:04 PM

826 posts, read 1,625,470 times
I didn't go to college for almost a year after graduation, when I got to college there was no point to hassle with the insurance companies with getting me back because I wasn't paying that much for my health insurance anyways.

Old 09-24-2008, 11:12 PM
YBF

OP you really need to do your research. With this economy ppl are lucky to have a job whether they have benefits or not. Alot of places only offer part time or do other sneaky trick so they dont have to pay for benefits...or a family may not be able to afford insurance. And yes maybe some should re-evaluate their priorities and rid themselves of extras so they can afford insurance. But I doubt this is the case with the majority. Most of those part time after school jobs benefit plans you keep speaking of are not worth the paper they are written on. Lets say from a part time jobs you can make 1000/month how much insurance do you think you can afford with that? Then lets say insurance costs you 100/month you still cant afford the co-pay or the deductable so you might as well save that 100/month and pray you dont get hurt/sick.

Old 09-24-2008, 11:16 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,566,362 times
Quote:
We have MILLIONS in this country without health insurance. I pay $80 a month for my health, dental, and vision insurance. My student loans from college are more each month. My internet bill is more than that. Where is this "health insurance is too expensive" coming from?? My mom has health insurance and covers herself and my sister. Her car payment costs more than her and my sister under the insurance plan.

Honestly, ever job (that I've worked at) offers insurance, do people choose not to sign up with it and then get upset when they have to pay a $1,000 doctor bill that would of cost you a $15 copay if you payed $80 a month?
I am a teacher. It would cost me 410 a month to get vision/medical/dental. I thank God my wife has a job with good insurance. If this is how we treat teachers, I am pretty certain there are many much worse off than us.

Old 09-24-2008, 11:21 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,349,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwine View Post
So Slash83 is a naive baby and don't understand how life works. If he/she did he wouldn't argue everybody's posts. I know it is annoying but it is pointless to continue because it would be easier to teach a pig how to fly.
By the way, I reped your post.
You're right. I wonder if 83 is when this person was born?

And to keep arguing the point after people have pointed out "why people cannot afford health insurance" is beyond me. Question asked, Question answered.

Moving on.............................

Old 09-24-2008, 11:25 PM

24 posts, read 61,864 times
My husband works for a small business with only a few employees. They cannot yet afford health insurance for their employees. We have none. And we live in a state where the cheapest insurance we can buy is about $600/month for our family of 3, and that covers almost nothing except a complete medical disaster. I'm a stay at home mom right now, but I do go to school online in my spare time so we can hopefully be making more at some point in the future. But even when our income doubles, we will still probably not be able to afford health insurance. We live very much within our means. I don't enjoy shopping for clothes or trinkets, so I don't do it. We have a thrift store TV. We don't buy processed foods. We don't have cable, don't go to the movies. We live as simple and thrifty a life as any American I have ever met.
We are newly married, and about a year ago, I passed a kidney stone. I was in unbelievable pain, but ended up leaving the hospital before being treated because the nurse attending me kept pushing us as to how much money we had, and asking how we were going to pay. At one point she said we needed to talk to the hospital lawyer before I could be treated. I also had impacted wisdom teeth for about 7 months, until we could save the money to pay up front (doctor's policy). It isn't fun to not have insurance, and the assumption that we "choose" not to is downright rude. It weighs on us, especially as a couple just starting out. I'm sure at some point we will have some form of health insurance, but the fact is that at this moment we are one serious illness or accident away from becoming completely destitute. That is the reality of it, and I know it is the case for millions of people in this country. I don't feel like an exception.

Old 09-24-2008, 11:27 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,855,247 times
Quote:
That's not true, you are still under your parent's plan until you turn 25 if you are still in school...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies