U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 12:35 PM

16,268 posts, read 9,072,751 times

Advertisements

I am for deregulation.... when regulation is bad.

I am for regulation... when no regulation is bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2011, 12:40 PM

13,072 posts, read 11,393,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
regulation is fine...its just liberals overregulate and stiffle business
I have no problem with regulation when it is a mere formality of statement. For instance, we have laws that deem murder a crime. There is nothing infringing of such, its existence is rational as for someone to commit such is a violation of another.

The problem I have with regulations are those that restrict based on the perception that a business or person "could" do wrong if they weren't restricted. This form of regulation is oppressive and a violation of liberty. It follows the same reasoning as demanding people have their freedoms completely removed for some may actually harm others with such freedom.

The essence of such regulation is a violation of freedom, an infringement that exists under the claim that it protects from infringement. It is an absurdity.

Regulation should go no farther than outlining the direct violation and actions that will be taken if such an occurrence of infringement is found, past that it has no grounds.

Last edited by Nomander; 09-30-2011 at 01:09 PM..

Old 09-30-2011, 01:23 PM

29,512 posts, read 16,414,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
The problem I have with regulations are those that restrict based on the perception that a business or person "could" do wrong if they weren't restricted. This form of regulation is oppressive and a violation of liberty. It follows the same reasoning as demanding people have their freedoms completely removed for some may actually harm others with such freedom.

Yes, regulations such as these;

1. Regulations prohibiting flavored cigarettes
  2. Regulations on when I can operate my business
  3. Regulations on what prices I can charge
  4. Regulations on how much profit I can make
  5. Regulations on how I must package my products
  6. Regulations on who can sell alcohol
  7. Regulations on what I can sell on selected days
  8. Regulations that require every friggin business to have a license
etc, etc.

Old 09-30-2011, 01:29 PM

16,268 posts, read 9,072,751 times
Anyone that thinks Sarbanes Oxley is good regulation is just not that bright.

Old 09-30-2011, 01:30 PM

13,072 posts, read 11,393,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Yes, regulations such as these;

1. Regulations prohibiting flavored cigarettes
  2. Regulations on when I can operate my business
  3. Regulations on what prices I can charge
  4. Regulations on how much profit I can make
  5. Regulations on how I must package my products
  6. Regulations on who can sell alcohol
  7. Regulations on what I can sell on selected days
  8. Regulations that require every friggin business to have a license
etc, etc.
Pretty much. It is shocking how much infringement we have allowed over the years all based on "fear" that something or someone might possibly infringe on another. Any infringement can then be justified under that pretense.

Old 09-30-2011, 03:07 PM

27,903 posts, read 34,337,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Refugee56 View Post
It seems like every time an industry is deregulated chaos starts.

Energy and Utilities are deregulated and prices go way up and Enron creates an energy crisis in CA.

Airlines are deregulated and we have an industry that treats its customers like dirt and loses billions.

The Financial Services Industry is deregulated and we have a trillion dollar bailout.

Where has deregulation actually helped?
You got here by "deregulation" or lack of regulations. That is the whole point of natural selection. It wasn't till you got a brain big enough to understand what is going on around you did you immediately start trying to stop, move, change, alter, regulate and inhibit it.

Old 09-30-2011, 03:49 PM

29,512 posts, read 16,414,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
Anyone that thinks Sarbanes Oxley is good regulation is just not that bright.
I agree. But I have certainly made a lot of money selling software services to companies that were forced to comply with SOX.

So, I guess I can't complain.

Old 10-09-2011, 11:42 PM

4,126 posts, read 4,452,047 times
Regulation creates monopolies. Haven't you ever noticed it's always the big companies that support regulation? Big companies can absorb the expense while smaller companies (the competition) cannot.

Old 10-09-2011, 11:46 PM

4,398 posts, read 9,016,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
If it weren't for deregulation your monthly phone bill would be running $300/month and that only if you didn't make any long distance phone calls.
You are confused... The justice department forcing Att to break up is not deregulation, it was very much the opposite.

Old 10-10-2011, 12:02 AM

23,810 posts, read 11,833,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Refugee56 View Post
It seems like every time an industry is deregulated chaos starts.

Energy and Utilities are deregulated and prices go way up and Enron creates an energy crisis in CA.

Airlines are deregulated and we have an industry that treats its customers like dirt and loses billions.

The Financial Services Industry is deregulated and we have a trillion dollar bailout.

Where has deregulation actually helped?
The railroad industry. One of the few things Carter did right. He deregulated the railroad industry and they took off recording record profits despite the downturn of the economy. I was an engineer for Burlington Northern. When our industry was deregulated, BN was maybe the 4th largest Class 1 RR around but BN looked at Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe railroad which was still failing. BN and ATSF merged to become BNSF (Burlington Northern and Santa Fe) the second largest RR in the US behind Union Pacific. During our current squatter in the White House term, BNSF was still hiring when everybody else was laying people off. BNSF is a very strong company so much so that Warren Buffet and his holding company Berkshire Hathaway bought BNSF.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies