Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should we continue the Alcohol Ban on San Diego Beaches ?
YES 47 40.17%
NO 70 59.83%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 05:43 PM

58 posts, read 105,597 times

Advertisements

There MUST BE and better compromise to Prop D
  • Holiday Ban
  • Higher Fines for breaking the laws we have
  • family friendly zones...
DO NOT Let the PROHIBITIONST Scare you into Voting away your CIVIL RIGHTS!

This is an ENFORCEMENT ISSUE ~Not~ a public safety issue!

Get the FACTS: http://www.NoOnPropD.org

VOTE NO on PropD!

Attached Thumbnails
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2008, 05:45 PM

Just saw this on eBay!

The rich land owners and developers paying for the yes on d.

Recipient Committee Campaign Contribution Statement California Form 460 shows Wealthy Land Owners, Developers, Real-estate Companies and even Former United States Governor's!

San Diego Coastal Shoreline Beaches and Bays *FOR SALE* - eBay (item 170274221221 end time Nov-04-08 10:19:52 PST) San Diego Coastal Shoreline Beaches and Bays *FOR SALE* - eBay (item 170274221221 end time Nov-04-08 10:19:52 PST) (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=170274221221&ssPa geName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=007 - broken link)

This is Public Record Information. Form 460 is a Legal Document and shows who is contributing to the yes on d side. This is a shame! The wealthy continue to run our City Council and push new restrictive laws on honest taypaying citizens of San Diego.

Vote No on "D" GET THE FACTS!www.NoOnPropD.org (Link)

Old 11-01-2008, 05:45 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
only thing worse than a dirt bag is a drunk dirt bag.

Old 11-02-2008, 12:25 AM

Just saw this on eBay!

The rich land owners and developers paying for the yes on d.

Recipient Committee Campaign Contribution Statement California Form 460 shows Wealthy Land Owners, Developers, Real-estate Companies and even Former United States Governor's!

San Diego Coastal Shoreline Beaches and Bays *FOR SALE* - eBay (item 170274221221 end time Nov-04-08 10:19:52 PST) (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=170274221221&ssPa geName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=007 - broken link)

This is Public Record Information. Form 460 is a Legal Document and shows who is contributing to the yes on d side. This is a shame! The wealthy continue to run our City Council and push new restrictive laws on honest taypaying citizens of San Diego.

Vote No on "D" GET THE FACTS!www.NoOnPropD.org (Link)

Old 11-02-2008, 12:26 AM

• Holiday Ban

VOTE NO on PropD!

Attached Thumbnails

Old 11-02-2008, 08:06 AM

267 posts, read 1,288,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
Please look up the definition of "grammar" before you incorrectly use it in a sentence.

Regarding the word "riot" ... if you put the phase "san diego labor day riot 2007" into a Google Search, see what comes up.

You will see there previously were articles on two NBC websites which referred to the San Diego Labor Day Riot in 2007. Apparently these weblinks are now archived, since they are more than a year old.

Below you will see "riot" is mentioned in an article in The San Diego Union Tribune online website.

It was written by Ken Hewitt - The CHIEF of the San Diego Lifeguard Service.

You can read the full article here:

Dry beaches | The San Diego Union-Tribune

You will also find it in places like Surfer Magazine:

BAN ON BOOZE: San Diego Beaches Instate Year-Long Alcohol Ban

And before you refer to my post as "borderline hysterical" ... you might want to re-read how yours sounds!

Also, I would greatly appreciate if you could please respect my initial request:
>the San Diego Union Tribune article you submitted doesn't count. It was written by Ken Hewitt. Hello. Anybody home? Main point: Ken Hewitt is not a professional journalist. Ken Hewitt doesn't work for the SDUT (San Diego Union Tribune). Ken Hewitt is not a news reporter now, nor was he a news reporter the day the SDUT published his opinion. So Ken Hewitt might not be as keen a wordsmith as a writer would be, and I'm being nice to Mr. Hewitt when I say that.

>Surfer Magazine? Lol... no one, except for you, a YES on D advocate, would call Surfer Magazine a "credible, professional news organization". Main point: Surfer Magazine is not a professional news organization, end of discussion. In an earlier post I challenged you to post one or more links that represent credible, professional news organizations. Those were my exact words: "credible" and "professional". Surfer Magazine is not in the business of reporting local, state or national news. They are not a credible news organization. Their main existence is to further the cause of riding the ocean wave. They're no more credible a news organization than a skateboard magazine is.

>lets get real here: you have a plethora of local news agencies that covered the 2007 Labor Day melee, too many to count. You have access via Google to all of the radio and television station news articles, plus you have each and every article ever written by a San Diego Union Tribune journalist literally almost at the tip of your fingers. And yet you couldn't provide me with one link that represents a credible professional news organization that shows them using the word "riot" to describe the Labor Day incident. The links to each and every one of those stories are available to anyone who can boot up a computer and type. But yet you failed to provide one link from a credible, professional news organization. What links you did provide, Ken Hewitt and Surfer Magazine, had Mickey Mouse written on them. And then you had the audacity to highlight them in bold, as if they were all that. Look, did you try KPBS? How about KNSD? Or KFMB? Or ****? There are many other sources available to you. Shouldn't take you more than a few seconds, right? If Google can't help you locate them, try using a different search engine. AskJeeves is good, as is Lycos. Good luck the second time around.

>the well-well whatta ya know department: as fate would have it, the Union Tribune has an article in todays paper (Sunday, 11-2-2008) about proposition D. The article deals with the booze ban and talks about the 2007 Labor Day incident. Did the author of todays article call the 2007 Labor Day incident a "riot"? Drumroll please: No, the writer did not call the 2007 Labor Day incident a "riot". The writer used a word that was factually ACCURATE, a word that was definitively correct. But please, don't believe me, okay? Check the article for yourself. Todays article proves my point and I'll do so without highlighting anything in bold text: no credible, professional news organization ever uses the word "riot" to describe the 2007 Labor Day melee. Not even the San Diego Union Tribune. And they're on record as supporting YES on D!

Thanks UT, for being honest.

The latest most recent SDUT article - hot off the press - note that the writer does not use the word "riot" to describe the 2007 Labor Day incident: SignOnSanDiego.com > News > Metro -- Booze-ban backers rally at beach

Last edited by hotornot; 11-02-2008 at 08:30 AM..

Old 11-02-2008, 09:44 AM

50,239 posts, read 46,997,454 times
The paper today calls the incident a melee, the coining of riot needs to be reserved for things like what happened in LA where people died and the City had millions of dollars of damage.

Old 11-02-2008, 11:26 AM

• Holiday Ban

VOTE NO on PropD!

Attached Thumbnails

Old 11-02-2008, 11:27 AM

I just saw this on another chat page...

By Money on 11/02/2008 at 10:02 a.m.

FOLLOW THE $$$$$$$$!

WHO IS PAYING for yes on d? Recipient Committee Campaign Contribution Statement California Form 460 shows Wealthy Land Owners, Developers, Real-estate Companies and even Former United States Governor's!

FULL LIST of Cotributors on eBay:

San Diego Coastal Shoreline Beaches and Bays *FOR SALE* - eBay (item 170274221221 end time Nov-04-08 10:19:52 PST) (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=170274221221&ssPa geName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=007 - broken link)

No on "D"

Old 11-02-2008, 11:39 AM

5,319 posts, read 8,981,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotornot View Post
>the San Diego Union Tribune article you submitted doesn't count. It was written by Ken Hewitt. Hello. Anybody home? Main point: Ken Hewitt is not a professional journalist. Ken Hewitt doesn't work for the SDUT (San Diego Union Tribune). Ken Hewitt is not a news reporter now, nor was he a news reporter the day the SDUT published his opinion. So Ken Hewitt might not be as keen a wordsmith as a writer would be, and I'm being nice to Mr. Hewitt when I say that.

>Surfer Magazine? Lol... no one, except for you, a YES on D advocate, would call Surfer Magazine a "credible, professional news organization". Main point: Surfer Magazine is not a professional news organization, end of discussion. In an earlier post I challenged you to post one or more links that represent credible, professional news organizations. Those were my exact words: "credible" and "professional". Surfer Magazine is not in the business of reporting local, state or national news. They are not a credible news organization. Their main existence is to further the cause of riding the ocean wave. They're no more credible a news organization than a skateboard magazine is.

>lets get real here: you have a plethora of local news agencies that covered the 2007 Labor Day melee, too many to count. You have access via Google to all of the radio and television station news articles, plus you have each and every article ever written by a San Diego Union Tribune journalist literally almost at the tip of your fingers. And yet you couldn't provide me with one link that represents a credible professional news organization that shows them using the word "riot" to describe the Labor Day incident. The links to each and every one of those stories are available to anyone who can boot up a computer and type. But yet you failed to provide one link from a credible, professional news organization. What links you did provide, Ken Hewitt and Surfer Magazine, had Mickey Mouse written on them. And then you had the audacity to highlight them in bold, as if they were all that. Look, did you try KPBS? How about KNSD? Or KFMB? Or ****? There are many other sources available to you. Shouldn't take you more than a few seconds, right? If Google can't help you locate them, try using a different search engine. AskJeeves is good, as is Lycos. Good luck the second time around.

>the well-well whatta ya know department: as fate would have it, the Union Tribune has an article in todays paper (Sunday, 11-2-2008) about proposition D. The article deals with the booze ban and talks about the 2007 Labor Day incident. Did the author of todays article call the 2007 Labor Day incident a "riot"? Drumroll please: No, the writer did not call the 2007 Labor Day incident a "riot". The writer used a word that was factually ACCURATE, a word that was definitively correct. But please, don't believe me, okay? Check the article for yourself. Todays article proves my point and I'll do so without highlighting anything in bold text: no credible, professional news organization ever uses the word "riot" to describe the 2007 Labor Day melee. Not even the San Diego Union Tribune. And they're on record as supporting YES on D!

Thanks UT, for being honest.

The latest most recent SDUT article - hot off the press - note that the writer does not use the word "riot" to describe the 2007 Labor Day incident: SignOnSanDiego.com > News > Metro -- Booze-ban backers rally at beach
#1 - You asked for me to find occurances of the word "riot" in major newspapers, and I did. I'm not going to waste anymore time trying to make everything precisely to your liking. If you don't like that the Chief of Lifeguard Services wrote the UT article, then that's your prerogative. I also mentioned that my Google search showed that NBC had a few articles with "riot" as well ... but they apparently were either archived or deleted since the Google provided links no longer work.

#2 - 70 San Diego police responded on Labor Day 2007 in "Riot" gear. Not "Melee" gear. Not "Brawl" gear. They weren't wearing ballerina costumes! I believe that you and other Prop D opposers are so hung-up on having the decision go your way, that you will do anything necessary ... even play with semantics.

#3 - The vote is now two days away, and I have no desire to provide any more information than I have already provided in this thread.

I believe the Vote Yes on Prop D endorsement by the Chief of Lifeguard Services Ken Hewitt says all that needs to be said from the Vote Yes on Prop D side.

Ken Hewitt is responsible for the daily safety of San Diego beaches. He deals with beach issues every day of his life, and I think his endorsement significantly outweighs most other opinions on this matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies