Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2010, 03:41 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times

Advertisements

Some of our Framers uttered some really nasty words in the minds of all progressives of today that must be dealt with if we are to become a progressive nation. Here is an example of the words to be found in the following link:

The survival of the American republic, Hamilton maintained, depends upon "the preservation of a national spirit and a national character." "To admit foreigners indiscriminately to the rights of citizens the moment they put foot in our country would be nothing less than to admit the Grecian horse into the citadel of our liberty and sovereignty."

Some more words like these can be found in this link. Townhall - Assimilation and the Founding Fathers

Ok, lets hear about only the words I posted from progs since it has to be nasty to click on something written by Michelle Malkin. She is a nasty anti-prog woman, you know. Why not just read one hateful thing that may be made up of words you have never seen before? Yes, I know it will be very tough on many of you to lower yourself that much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2010, 04:12 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,055,553 times
It's all just random quote mining of framers to give credence in an argument from authority to the wingnut views Beck adores, written by W. Cleon Skousen. That is that the US was founded in religion only, without secular or enlightenment ideas, and that the US cannot exist without being a Christian theocracy.

It's to say what they thought, which can only be mined and cherry picked from as many sources as possible and lined up to seem like they agree, instead of what the founders actually did. Which is to found a country with the separation of church and state, and protect everyones rights. They knew as well as anyone the abuses of religious zealotry in political power.

Old 07-05-2010, 04:14 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,474,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Some of our Framers uttered some really nasty words in the minds of all progressives of today that must be dealt with if we are to become a progressive nation. Here is an example of the words to be found in the following link:

The survival of the American republic, Hamilton maintained, depends upon "the preservation of a national spirit and a national character." "To admit foreigners indiscriminately to the rights of citizens the moment they put foot in our country would be nothing less than to admit the Grecian horse into the citadel of our liberty and sovereignty."

Some more words like these can be found in this link. Townhall - Assimilation and the Founding Fathers

Ok, lets hear about only the words I posted from progs since it has to be nasty to click on something written by Michelle Malkin. She is a nasty anti-prog woman, you know. Why not just read one hateful thing that may be made up of words you have never seen before? Yes, I know it will be very tough on many of you to lower yourself that much.
I am opposed to amnesty so I agree with you here, Roy.

Old 07-05-2010, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
It's all just random quote mining of framers to give credence in an argument from authority to the wingnut views Beck adores, written by W. Cleon Skousen. That is that the US was founded in religion only, without secular or enlightenment ideas, and that the US cannot exist without being a Christian theocracy.

It's to say what they thought, which can only be mined and cherry picked from as many sources as possible and lined up to seem like they agree, instead of what the founders actually did. Which is to found a country with the separation of church and state, and protect everyones rights. They knew as well as anyone the abuses of religious zealotry in political power.
Your manner of admitting that you failed to read the link was so roundabout. Why not just come out and admit that you didn't. How do I know? Well there is nothing in it about religion and therefore I thought it might be something that could entice some progs to read it, but it sure didn't get you, did it?

Old 07-05-2010, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
I am opposed to amnesty so I agree with you here, Roy.
Lots of us are opposed but most failed to read Malin's piece so they don't know what this is all about.

Old 07-05-2010, 04:52 PM

12,373 posts, read 13,194,417 times
I quit reading Malkin BEFORE I quit listening to Beck, two peas in a pod...

Old 07-05-2010, 05:40 PM

5,376 posts, read 5,346,581 times
Quote:

If you read all of Hamilton's papers not just selected quotes, he supported those who came to the country, to live and work for the building of the nation. He was against those who were here to influence (for another government) or take from the country.

I believe he wanted someone to be here for 14 years before obtaining citizenship. His main reasoning was to not to allow foriegn influence elections and legislation. (Its been 40+ years since I had high school civics class and 35+ since college level polisci, so Roy, please correct me if I am wrong in my remembrance of the Hamilton letters.)

Last edited by plannine; 07-05-2010 at 06:17 PM..

Old 07-05-2010, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post
If you read all of Hamilton's papers not just selected quotes, he supported those who came to the country, to live and work for the building of the nation. He was against those who were here to influence (for another government) or take from the country.

I believe he wanted someone to be here for 14 years before obtaining citizenship. His main reasoning was to not to allow foriegn influence elections and legislation. (Its been 40+ years since I had high school civics class and 35+ since college level polisci, so Roy, please correct me if I am wrong in my remembrance of the Hamilton letters.)
I couldn't quote Hamilton now if I wanted to. I haven't dealt with those things in a school context in nearly 30 years but I do remember that i agreed with most things he said about government, especially things like this one.

That quote I took from Malkin's piece is surely one that I liked for as long as I can remember. I especially like the part about the Trojan horse and how it is being used against us today by those who don't care whether aliens assimilate with us or not.

Did you read the article? Surely you aren't like my Canadian buddy and refuse to read anybody not of the left. I found that article to be edifying, even for me since so much of that stuff has left me long ago.

Old 07-05-2010, 08:34 PM

5,376 posts, read 5,346,581 times
Quote:
I couldn't quote Hamilton now if I wanted to. I haven't dealt with those things in a school context in nearly 30 years but I do remember that i agreed with most things he said about government, especially things like this one.

That quote I took from Malkin's piece is surely one that I liked for as long as I can remember. I especially like the part about the Trojan horse and how it is being used against us today by those who don't care whether aliens assimilate with us or not.

Did you read the article? Surely you aren't like my Canadian buddy and refuse to read anybody not of the left. I found that article to be edifying, even for me since so much of that stuff has left me long ago.
While I agree with some of her points, I disagree in her reduced take on Hamilton to the current immigration problem.(she made use the same quotes a few years ago in the national review).

I would like to hear a scholar on Hamilton explain what his words and thoughts were, rather then someone who has a fan base to please.

While millions of illegals would need to go using Hamilton's 'words' quoted by Malkin, millions more have met his requirements elsewhere in his papers and would need to be offered some path to citizenship. What that path is, should not be examined until the borders are secure from future breaches.

(Please note, I consider separate issues, those who came here illegally, and those who came here legally, and didn't leave. And anchor babies of the one group should not be citizens, while of the other group, should be considered as such)

Last edited by plannine; 07-05-2010 at 08:45 PM..

Old 07-05-2010, 08:35 PM

7,168 posts, read 5,366,055 times
Quote:

Well Roy,you know I am far far from a progressive and you also know that I do not like Malkin.But that was a well written article and she did a good job of pointing out what the founders said on immigration.The one that sticks out in my mind is from Hamilton{who I like the least of the founders} that describes mostly {D} leaders with some {R}s sprinkled in :
The permanent effect of such a policy will be, that in times of great public danger there will be always a numerous body of men, of whom there may be just grounds of distrust; the suspicion alone will weaken the strength of the nation, but their force may be actually employed in assisting an invader."
Yep I think that describes the situation today where our leaders have assisted the invaders.We have gave them such a helping hand that 85 miles inside our border is a warning to Americans about the dangers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies