U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2008, 11:36 PM

7,730 posts, read 12,711,155 times

Advertisements

Press TV - US offers pirates $7m bribe for Iran ship entry

Quote:
The US has offered USD 7m to the pirates, who hijacked an Iranian ship in the Gulf of Aden, to receive entry permission and search the vessel.
There's this ship that's been taken over by pirates off the coast of Somalia. It's an Iranian vessel. Now, it wouldn't surprise me if we really have offered a $7mil bribe. Here's why:

Quote:
A tense standoff has developed in waters off Somalia over an Iranian merchant ship laden with a mysterious cargo that was hijacked by pirates.

Somali pirates suffered skin burns, lost hair and fell gravely ill “within days” of boarding the MV Iran Deyanat. Some of them died.
The Times - Pirates die strangely after taking Iranian ship (http://www.thetimes.co.za/PrintEdition/Article.aspx?id=851953 - broken link)

Not only that, as you see in the caption:

Quote:
The Russian frigate Neustrashimy, which was sent to the coast of Somalia this week after a Ukrainian ship carrying arms, including 33 T-72 tanks, was also hijacked by Somali pirates Picture: AP
Something weird is going on off the coast of Africa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2008, 11:54 PM

19,895 posts, read 14,228,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post
Thomas Jefferson doesn't negotiate with pirates.
Yes, he most certainly did.

The US paid $Millions in annual tribute to the Barbary States every year for more than 10 years. Ever hear the phrase "From the Halls of Montezuma, to the Shores of Tripoli?" That's in reference to when the US attacked the Barbary States, but only after paying what would be about $12 Million a year in adjusted 2007 Dollars for over 10 years.

The US paid $Millions to France to bribe them to not harass US naval or merchant vessels.

The US paid $Millions in bribes/ransoms to Britain to recover US naval and merchant vessels and their crews, and to not raid US ships.

The US also paid $Millions in bribes to other countries in the Mediterranean not bother US ships.

Old 09-28-2008, 12:19 AM

7,730 posts, read 12,711,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Yes, he most certainly did.

The US paid $Millions in annual tribute to the Barbary States every year for more than 10 years. Ever hear the phrase "From the Halls of Montezuma, to the Shores of Tripoli?" That's in reference to when the US attacked the Barbary States, but only after paying what would be about $12 Million a year in adjusted 2007 Dollars for over 10 years.

The US paid $Millions to France to bribe them to not harass US naval or merchant vessels.

The US paid $Millions in bribes/ransoms to Britain to recover US naval and merchant vessels and their crews, and to not raid US ships.

The US also paid $Millions in bribes to other countries in the Mediterranean not bother US ships.
He didn't negotiate with them, did he? While he was ambassdor to France, he argued that we shouldn't pay. But we did pay their bribes because our countrymen were indifferent to fighting them. They would rather just pay the ransoms rather than raise an army and build a naval fleet. When he was President, he was able to declare that Bainbridge and Decatur's naval victories had successfully allowed us to end the bribe payments. So in the end, he got his way. Unfortunately, his own countrymen and Congressional leaders didn't realize the danger. In the end, it was his ability to send the right men and the right ships to defeat a handful of rogue powers that brought an end to the conflicts. There was no negotiations.

Anyway, that wasn't exactly the point of the article. Something is afoot in the waters off Africa. It's an Iranian vessel that left China heading for Germany. China has an agreement with Iran to help in their energy needs including gasoline refineries. Not sure what the German business man's deal is. Sounds like some of the pirates might have radiation poisoning.

Old 09-28-2008, 09:29 AM

3 posts, read 2,971 times
Some other great quotes from Presidents and Patriots. [Benjamin Franklin from "Articles of Belief and Acts of Religion", Nov. 20, 1728]"Belief in a cruel God makes a cruel man."[Thomas Paine]"Of all the tyrannies that affect mankind, tyranny in religion is the worst."[Thomas Paine]"As to the book called the bible, it is blasphemy to call it the Word of God. It is a book of lies and contradictions and a history of bad times and bad men."[Thomas Paine, writing to Andrew Dean August 15, 1806]"...Thomas did not believe the resurrection [John 20:25], and, as they say, would not believe without having ocular and manual demonstration himself. So neither will I, and the reason is equally as good for me, and for every other person, as for Thomas."[Thomas Paine, Age Of Reason, pg. 54]"The study of theology, as it stands in the Christian churches, is the study of nothing; it is founded on nothing; it rests on no principles; it proceeds by no authority; it has no data; it can demonstrate nothing; and it admits of no conclusion."[Thomas Paine]"The continually progressive change to which the meaning of words is subject, the want of a universal language which renders translation necessary, the errors to which translations are again subject, the mistakes of copyists and printers, together with the possibility of willful alteration, are of themselves evidences that the human language, whether in speech or in print, cannot be the vehicle of the Word of God. The Word of God exists in something else."[Thomas Paine, Age of Reason]"The adulterous connection between church and state."[Thomas Paine, _The Age of Reason_]"Whenever we read the obscene stories, the voluptuous debaucheries, the cruel and tortuous executions, the unrelenting vindictiveness with which more than half the Bible is filled, it would be more consistant that we call it the word of a demon than the word of God. It is a history of wickedness that has served to corrupt and brutalize mankind; and, for my part, I sincerely detest it, as I detest everything that is cruel."[Thomas Paine, _The Age of Reason_]"That God cannot lie, is no advantage to your argument, because it is no proof that priests can not, or that the Bible does not."[The Life and Works of Thomas Paine, Vol. 9 p. 134]"The NT, compared with the Old, is like a farce of one act..."[_The Age of Reason_, Thomas Paine, p. 153]"There are matters in the Bible, said to be done by the express commandment of God, that are shocking to humanity and to every idea we have of moral justice....".[Thomas Paine]"..but the Bible is such a book of lies and contradictions there is no knowing which part to believe or whether any..."[_The Age of Reason_, Thomas Paine, p. 104]"As to the book called the Bible, it is blasphemy to call it the Word of God. It is a book of lies and contradictions, and a history of bad times and bad men. There are but a few good characters in the whole book."[Thomas Paine, Letter to William Duane, April 23, 1806]"I do not believe in the creed professed by the Jewish Church, by the Roman Church, by the Greek Church, by the Turkish Church, by the Protestant Church, nor by any Church that I know of. My own mind is my own Church."[Thomas Paine, The Age of Reason]"The story of Jesus Christ appearing after he was dead is the story of an apparition, such as timid imaginations can always create in vision, and credulity believe. Stories of this kind had been told of the assassination of Julius Caesar..."[Thomas Paine]"What is it the Bible teaches us? - raping, cruelty, and murder. What is it the New Testament teaches us? - to believe that the Almighty committed debauchery with a woman engaged to be married, and the belief of this debauchery is called faith."[Thomas Paine]"There is nothing which can better deserve our patronage than the promotion of science and literature. Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."[George Washington, address to Congress, 8 January, 1790]"In those parts of the world where learning and science have prevailed, miracles have ceased; but in those parts of it as are barbarous and ignorant, miracles are still in vogue."[Ethan Allen, Reason the Only Oracle of Man, pamphlet, 1784]"While we are under the tyranny of Priests [...] it will ever be their interest, to invalidate the law of nature and reason, in order to establish systems incompatible therewith."[Ethan Allen, _Reason_the_Only_Oracle_of_Man_]"The Bible is not my Book and Christianity is not my religion. I could never give assent to the long complicated statements of Christian dogma."[Abraham Lincoln]"I am for liberty of conscience in its noblest, broadest, and highest sense. But I cannot give liberty of conscience to the pope and his followers, the papists, so long as they tell me, through all their councils,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies