U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the US withdraw troops from Iraq?
Yes, we should start withdrawing from Iraq 74 76.29%
No, we should not withdraw until we can claim "victory" 23 23.71%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 09:52 AM

12,984 posts, read 15,319,968 times

Advertisements

Again, what I see here on this board makes me KNOW we cannot elect Obama. It is dangerous for our country to withdraw troops, and you people and Obama obviously don't understand that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2008, 09:53 AM

19,683 posts, read 14,144,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
We have never had an exit stratagy as GWB had insisted was essential in any military action.
Why would the US have an exit strategy?

You falsely assume the goal of the US was to leave. The goal of the US is to stay there. Permanently.

Clinton's illegal wars got the US into Central Asia, but without the ability to exert pressure and influence on Central Asian governments and people, the US got kicked out.

The US must control the areas adjacent to the 5 Central Asian states in order to wield influence over them. That would be Iran.

In order to control Iran, the US must control Iraq. It's just that simple, sort of like to invade Germany in WW II the US had to control France, Belgium and the Netherlands.

Old 09-30-2008, 10:08 AM

2,769 posts, read 3,058,651 times
All this money spent in Iraq to take out Saddam to prevent him from aiding Al Queta. While at the same time, NOTHING is done to make the US borders secure. If Al Queta ever got a nuke, they could just roll it in here on a donkey cart from Mexico. $10 billion a month could of bought alot of fence and border guards.

Old 09-30-2008, 10:15 AM

41,505 posts, read 51,222,776 times
MIRCEA - Why must we control (what do you mean by control anyway) the five Central Asian states?

Which States are these?
What have they done to us already?
What might they do?
Why should we spend the time, lives and money to control what they do to themselves and their neighbors?

I really cannot follow your thinking on these matters and I would like to understand what you really mean. Thanks in advance for your answer.

Old 09-30-2008, 10:32 AM

2,441 posts, read 5,358,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Do understand how silly you sound?

How do you propose Saddam should deliver his 2,000 tons of anthrax to the US?
Mircea,

I'm curious as to why you think I sound silly? It sounds to me (unless you were being incredibly sarcastic and I can't see it) that you agree with me.

Also, I never said Saddam was going to deliver C/B weps to America. We know chem/bio weps were used in the Iran-Iraq war. There's pictures showing people killed from them. But no where did I infer he was going to use them against us.

I simply said that they were moved. And I don't believe he had huge quantities. I believe he was/may have been trying to procure more than he had... but what he had, he had 3 months to get rid of. That's all. Nothing more, nothing less.

Old 09-30-2008, 10:50 AM

3,325 posts, read 4,785,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mofford View Post
All this money spent in Iraq to take out Saddam to prevent him from aiding Al Queta. While at the same time, NOTHING is done to make the US borders secure. If Al Queta ever got a nuke, they could just roll it in here on a donkey cart from Mexico. $10 billion a month could of bought alot of fence and border guards.

The irony of it all is that Al Queda HATED Saddam and vice versa .

After Saddam invaded Kuwait Osama hated him for it .
Both men wanted the other dead for different reasons.

There was no Al Queda in Iraq with Saddam in power.

I notice you spell it the PC way Al Queta but think either spelling is correct.

Old 09-30-2008, 03:33 PM

7,922 posts, read 7,817,743 times
As soon as there is troop withdrawal and the level of troops drop, Al Quaeda and other fanatics will return to Iraq. The ONLY thing keeping them away is the troop surge. This war can never be "Won". It is now time for the Govt. of Iraq to take full charge of its country. All troops should leave and leave quickly. No matter when the troops leave, whether now or in 100 years, as McCain estimates, The country will revert back to the way it was. fractions inside Iraq fighting each other, a new Dictator will immerge and the Govt. will be overthrown. More American lives will not save Iraq.

Old 10-01-2008, 06:08 AM

30,194 posts, read 16,560,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
First off, I resent your insulting previous posters ....no one is "too simple". If you are going to try to convince anyone or engage them in dialogue, maybe you shouldnt start by insulting them!

It wasn't Muslim Iran that attacked us....it was Christian USA that invaded and continues to occupy a country that had not aggressed against us; we invented the Bush policy that rationalizes the invasion of other nations based on our feelings not on their actions! Based on that policy Iran has every right to attack America on her home soil...."Bomb-Bomb-Bomb Iran" justifies missle attacks under the Bush doctrine .
I stand by my comment, so I guess you will just have to feel insulted.

Wait a minute ... I thought the U.S.A. was not a Christian country (at least according to you guys)?

Did I say Muslim Iran attacked us? Apparently you did not read my post.

Clearly, you have no undersanding of what this is about, because you and your leftist anti-war, anti-America friends just keep repeating the same old cliches. You cannot have dialog with people who's only response is repeating irrational cliches.

Old 10-01-2008, 06:19 AM

30,194 posts, read 16,560,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
As soon as there is troop withdrawal and the level of troops drop, Al Quaeda and other fanatics will return to Iraq. The ONLY thing keeping them away is the troop surge. This war can never be "Won". It is now time for the Govt. of Iraq to take full charge of its country. All troops should leave and leave quickly. No matter when the troops leave, whether now or in 100 years, as McCain estimates, The country will revert back to the way it was. fractions inside Iraq fighting each other, a new Dictator will immerge and the Govt. will be overthrown. More American lives will not save Iraq.
McCain never estimated 100 years! He was not being literal in his comment. He was using hyperbole.

I disagree with your assesment of the future of Iraq. We'll see.

Old 10-01-2008, 06:23 AM

425 posts, read 599,367 times
For God Sakes! We're still in Korea, Bosnia, Kosovo, Germany etc...

US Troops are like the "accidental tourist"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies