Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the US withdraw troops from Iraq?
Yes, we should start withdrawing from Iraq 74 76.29%
No, we should not withdraw until we can claim "victory" 23 23.71%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 03:34 AM

30,421 posts, read 20,278,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by city414 View Post
his is a no brainer the iraqi goverment has already asked the US for withdrawal but the US wants to stay and colonize iraq.
Colonize Iraq? What left wing blog are you reading? Who ever said we want to colonize Iraq?

Quote:
but our officials are too stupid to realise that in this situation we cannot be blamed because they are asking us to leave, it wouldnt be abandoning iraq..
Huh? Blamed for what? That sentence makes no sense at all.

Quote:
americans officials are really dumb and egolistic
Egolistic?

Your posts would be much easier to read and decipher if you used proper capitalization and punctuation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2008, 03:40 AM

707 posts, read 1,292,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vickilynn View Post
Should the US start withdrawing from Iraq? I think we need to stop this "war" that should never have started. We keep spending 10 million US dollars a month while Iraq now has a 79 million dollar surplus. When will they start taking care of their own country>
Actually it's 10 billion per month. I heard a commentator say the other day that we just got used to saying "billions" and now we have to say "trillions". That's scary.

Last edited by jimmyP; 09-30-2008 at 03:42 AM.. Reason: mistake

Old 09-30-2008, 03:44 AM

48,062 posts, read 21,962,426 times
We have never had an exit stratagy as GWB had insisted was essential in any military action. Several times our troops have met our stated objectives even though the danger and level of violence has escalated. Our war of aggression has unfortunately cost us dearly in lives and treasure and loss of worldwide respect and influence; it has destabilized Iraq and played into Iran's hands making their dominance in the region inevitable; and it has given Al Quieda and Taliban in Afganistan/Pakistan the op to regroup and strengthen. Human Rights violations in Iraq against minorities are as bad or worse than under Saadam....the American backed government has merely picked new minorities to persecute, torture and murder. (Gays are shot in public; womens rights have suffered; Jews have been expelled; religious minorities are persecuted...the western multi-cultural urban culture has been swamped by fuedal tribalism and barbarism and under the government we installed that is only going to get worse.)

There isnt any more we can do to improve the situation; it is like Humpty Dumpty, we can't put the scrambled egg back together. It is way past time to get out. Bush made himself a "War President" and settled his family's fued with Saadam, which was his aim and why he was willing to sacrifice so much; we are unlikely to get access to its oil fields our other unstated reason for war.....it is past time to get out; whether we claim Victory or not...I suppose GWB could parachute onto another air craft carrier and declare victory.

Last edited by elston; 09-30-2008 at 03:54 AM..

Old 09-30-2008, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Colonize Iraq? What left wing blog are you reading? Who ever said we want to colonize Iraq?

Huh? Blamed for what? That sentence makes no sense at all.

Egolistic?

Your posts would be much easier to read and decipher if you used proper capitalization and punctuation.
I had no problem understanding the posts which you quoted and quibbled with. We are talking about the continued sacrifice of American lives and you choose to nit pick spelling and grammar......you had best re examine your priorities.

Old 09-30-2008, 04:38 AM

30,421 posts, read 20,278,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyP View Post
Actually it's 10 billion per month. I heard a commentator say the other day that we just got used to saying "billions" and now we have to say "trillions". That's scary.
Freedom isn't free, and it isn't cheap either.

Did any of you ever ask where we would be in this war on terror today if we had not taken out Saddam?

Do you not think he would have aided the terrorists, offering weapons, training facilities, money, etc?

You all simply (part of the problem is you are all too simple) think that all we needed to do was to find Bin Laden, arrest him and it would be over.

There is much more to this than any of you wish to learn. It starts with Islam, and the core beliefs of Muslims.

Old 09-30-2008, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Freedom isn't free, and it isn't cheap either.

Did any of you ever ask where we would be in this war on terror today if we had not taken out Saddam?

Do you not think he would have aided the terrorists, offering weapons, training facilities, money, etc?

You all simply (part of the problem is you are all too simple) think that all we needed to do was to find Bin Laden, arrest him and it would be over.

There is much more to this than any of you wish to learn. It starts with Islam, and the core beliefs of Muslims.
First off, I resent your insulting previous posters ....no one is "too simple". If you are going to try to convince anyone or engage them in dialogue, maybe you shouldnt start by insulting them!

It wasn't Muslim Iran that attacked us....it was Christian USA that invaded and continues to occupy a country that had not aggressed against us; we invented the Bush policy that rationalizes the invasion of other nations based on our feelings not on their actions! Based on that policy Iran has every right to attack America on her home soil...."Bomb-Bomb-Bomb Iran" justifies missle attacks under the Bush doctrine .

Old 09-30-2008, 07:15 AM

2,449 posts, read 5,943,452 times
I don't think we should never have started this war. I think it was justified, and I have my reasons why.

Regardless, we've done what we set out to do (which really had nothing to do with Sadam.. that was just icing on the cake).

Now, the Iraqi's have asked for us to leave, and we should do so. If we do so, however, they should not call us back in 6 months to a year when they realize their pride and egos failed their own citizens because they were trained to the level they thought they should be.

We will be able to go back.. but it would be on THEIR dime!

Old 09-30-2008, 07:22 AM

2,449 posts, read 5,943,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elston View Post
It wasn't Muslim Iran that attacked us....it was Christian USA that invaded and continues to occupy a country that had not aggressed against us; we invented the Bush policy that rationalizes the invasion of other nations based on our feelings not on their actions! Based on that policy Iran has every right to attack America on her home soil...."Bomb-Bomb-Bomb Iran" justifies missle attacks under the Bush doctrine .
Well.. I agree with you about not slamming others (although I have done it in the past).

That said, I also think that there are posters in here who don't understand (or refuse to?) the big picture.

You said it wasn't "Muslim Iran" that attacked us, but we are in Iraq. Okay... we'll call that a misspelling. They DO border each other.

Secondly, there are political factors at play along with protecting intelligence sources that may also play a part (that neither you nor I have access to). Let's remember who looked at the same intelligence and drew the same conclusion.... uh... EVERYONE.

Of course, but now... conspiracy theorists (the same one's who think Bush and the government were collaborators with the terrorists who flew their planes into buildings) say intelligence was faulty. The only fault I have is in the politician's whose agendas throw intelligence sources or methods under the bus for their own gains.

We went in there for WMD. We had satellite imagery that showed this (Colin Powell showed it). We can't make up what they have on the ground, and if Photoshop was used to bluff the best politicians in Washington...

That said, I think we've run our course there. They packed up and moved those Chem or Bio weapons. They are no longer in the hands of Sadam. Mission accomplished. Now, we need to pack up and go home. If Iraq wants us to stay, it's on their dime now.

Old 09-30-2008, 09:42 AM

24,623 posts, read 19,130,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathagos View Post
Secondly, there are political factors at play along with protecting intelligence sources that may also play a part (that neither you nor I have access to). Let's remember who looked at the same intelligence and drew the same conclusion.... uh... EVERYONE.
There's also a federal law that prohibits disclosure of certain things.

Quote:
We went in there for WMD. We had satellite imagery that showed this (Colin Powell showed it). We can't make up what they have on the ground, and if Photoshop was used to bluff the best politicians in Washington...
I'm more knowledgeable than Colin Powell, who I might add has never seen a nuclear weapon or a chemical weapon (I have and seen means touched using the hands).

http://www.gwu.edu/~nsarchiv/NSAEBB/NSAEBB88/iq13.jpg

I don't see any evidence of WMDs (snicker). I don't see security facilities, I don't see maintenance facilities, in fact I see the total absence of any support infrastructure for WMDs (snicker). The vehicles parked out there could be anything. The truck looks like a 2 ton German Mann (that's the name of a manufacturer).

Quote:
They packed up and moved those Chem or Bio weapons.
Do understand how silly you sound?

Do you understand it takes about 5 pounds of anthrax just for the hope of infecting 10 people?

Do you understand it would take about 40 Million pounds to infect the 8 Million people of New York City?

How do you propose Saddam should deliver his 2,000 tons of anthrax to the US?

Goodyear Blimps? Because he doesn't have any aircraft capable of reaching the Atlantic Ocean much less the US.

Didn't you see the Khamisiyah Depot home videos from the first Gulf War?

They aren't on the internet anymore, but if you saw them you didn't notice the US chemical warheads? Well, of course not. Let's face it, you could be sitting on a US chemical warhead (or nuclear warhead) and not even know it what it is.

That bunker was full of chemical warheads. The Arabic script was probably chemical weapons manufactured in Syrian. The Cyrillic script probably Czech. The Asian script probably North Korean (it was too blurry to see clearly but it wasn't Chinese so it had to be either Korean or Japanese script).

The ones in English with the fat green and yellow bands were US.

Old 09-30-2008, 09:47 AM

24,623 posts, read 19,130,118 times
Quote:

No, because Saddam was a megalomaniac and totally paranoid. He wouldn't dare fund, arm or train a group that could potentially be used to overthrow him. You do remember how he got where he was, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies