Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 04:52 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,636,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
gays arent rare. i know plenty of them. im sure lots of people know a gay. that cant be too rare when most people have access to one.

that aside. this thread seems like it either wants to bash the gays or the illegals.

it remeinds me of the folks who get mad when you compare the gay rights movement to the civil rights movement.

the funny thing is that they probably dont know who BAYARD RUSTIN was.
the architect of the march on washington. the man who stood behind MLK mouthing the i have a dream speech. the guy who refused to give up his seat before R.Parks so famously did.
the man who was not permitted to continue his efforts alongside MLK because the CIA threatened to expose a "homosexual relation" between him and MLK. (it was not true, mlk was not a gay, rustin was).

my point is that, tho these different movements have varied interests, they are all tied together by a single fight against social injustice.

the argument is that gays deserve to be here, illegals dont. so because some one is here "illegally" their humanity is denied? they can be killed without recourse? pretty slippery slope.
the denial of humanity is still perpetrated against gays, blacks and suspected "illegals".
none of that is justifiable.

arguing that illegals, unlike gays, dont deserve to be here, only makes it easier to put them in a "less than" category. a "less than human" category, and does make it easier to deny basic rights. (im not talking about rights to work or other stuff. im talking about the right to life).
thats never good.
The entire premise is flawed, and you know it.
Illegal immigrants are granted human rights in the US. They are not hunted down and killed, nor are they tortured. They are exploited for their cheap labor and they do get deported --- but I would hardly equate that to the firehoses of birmingham
Nonetheless, illegals will never and should never be afforded the rights of US citizenship because they are not US citizens. Why is that concept so very difficult to understand?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2008, 07:08 PM

1,603 posts, read 3,611,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
Sure it is... statistically, gays are a rare find.
Wow, where have you been? If I go out to the gay bars I can't get a seat to save my life. Standing room only. I see them working at most stores I go to. Everywhere!! Maybe being a lesbian I know my own kind so to speak! But as far as rights, there is no comparison between the gays and illegals. Where did that even come from??

Old 09-28-2008, 07:10 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,250,592 times
Huh? I've never heard of gays being equated to illegals. Anybody have articles regarding this allegation?

Old 09-28-2008, 07:29 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,715,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blutime View Post
Wow, where have you been? If I go out to the gay bars I can't get a seat to save my life. Standing room only. I see them working at most stores I go to. Everywhere!! Maybe being a lesbian I know my own kind so to speak! But as far as rights, there is no comparison between the gays and illegals. Where did that even come from??
Wikipedia cites that gay population worldwide is between 2-7%

Homosexual orientation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I don't consider those to be high percentages by any means. Also homosexuals tend to cluster in areas, this skews one's perception of their presence.

Old 09-28-2008, 07:33 PM

2,383 posts, read 6,057,085 times
Quote:

I don't consider those to be high percentages by any means. Also homosexuals tend to cluster in areas, this skews one's perception of their presence.

Umm, just so you are informed, Wikipedia is not a scholarly source! People can add and change what they want to on there so it is not, by any means of the word, considered a reliable source of info!

Old 09-28-2008, 07:37 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,783,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
In that case, I've never seen or heard anyone comparing equal rights for homosexuals to equal rights for illegal immigrants.
I haven't either.
I've heard people compare the gay rights movememnt with the civil rights movement, which I can see better.
I'm black and I certainly didn't choose to be black...I'm a lesbian and I didn't choose to be a lesbian either.

Old 09-28-2008, 07:38 PM

2,779 posts, read 7,521,097 times
How do you think gays are being counted? Some kind of national registry? I'm a lifetime decline to stater on alot of questions, my sexual orientation being one of them. The idea of having an accurate count of sexual orientation is sort of ridiculous....

Old 09-28-2008, 09:03 PM

1,140 posts, read 2,202,641 times
Quote:

Actually more reliable and scholarly sources, such as the APA, say it is a little over 10% which is by no means rare.

Old 09-29-2008, 07:54 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,562,391 times
Quote:

If, according to your source, the gay population is so small, then why the hell do you even care? What are you worried about, world domination? Why not go about your business instead of deliberately harassing people? Sad existence you live by, so exhausting trying to be morally superior & failing miserably isn't it?

Old 09-29-2008, 10:41 AM

3,150 posts, read 8,715,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvcgal View Post
Umm, just so you are informed, Wikipedia is not a scholarly source! People can add and change what they want to on there so it is not, by any means of the word, considered a reliable source of info!
Ok... how about this.... go back to the link, look where it says 2-7% and then look at all of the references that they used for that statistic. Wikipedia is citing information... I am referencing wikipedia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies