U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 05:40 PM

5,320 posts, read 1,980,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastlady View Post
It is interesting that everyone who has posted so far agrees that they would vote for an agnostic/atheist candidate. I don't think that's indicative of the majority of the country- or am I wrong?
Its hard to say. The corporate media outlets like to inflate small movements, to seem like large ones, when it suits their political interests. Its very easy to do so, and it has the effect of unnaturally growing the movement through the power of the "magnified" social influence alone. Its hard to know if "most" of the country is as die hard and zealously religious as certain media outlets would have us believe. My experience with the average American says no.

I'd like to believe most of the country has enough sense to believe in free thought, if only when it comes to their political leaders, but its hard to know.
I sure as heck wouldn't trust a media outlet, especially Fox News, to inform me as to how most of the country thought.

An agnostic or an atheist (they are very, very different) is free from moral control and influence from religious folk. Its been prove that time and time again religious leaders are, at the very least, fallible. They are not subject to review by the voting public. This influence over a political leader equates to political power. That is not right in a democratic sense, nor is it right by any other philosophy that chooses to preserve a free and democratic republic for and by the people.

Morality comes from inside the man / woman, and not from external sources. If you choose to take external cues for your morality, then this leaves you subject to immoral influence and someone else's control. How this can be looked at as a good thing is beyond crazy to me. Especially when it comes to high level political leaders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2010, 05:44 PM

972 posts, read 1,125,314 times
A 2007 Gallup poll revealed that only 45% of Americans said that they would be willing to vote for a qualified candidate who happened to be atheist. This compares to 55% who would be willing to vote for a candidate who happened to be homosexual, 57% who would vote for a candidate who happened to be over age 72, and 67% who would vote for a candidate who happened to be married for the third time.

When results are tabulated by political ideology, liberals are more likely to say they would vote for an atheist (67% say they would) compared to moderates (48%) and conservatives (29%).

Tabulating by educational level reveals that 52% of those who have attended some college would be willing to vote for an atheist, whereas only 32% who have not attended college would be willing to do so.

Would you vote for an atheist for president? Why or why not?

http://positivethought.org/index.php/blog/2-religion/22-would-you-vote-for-an-atheist-for-president
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or