Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 06:42 PM

125 posts, read 187,633 times

Advertisements

Is Talk Radio a form of dangerous Propaganda?

No more dangerous than any other media source such as Television, Newspapers, Periodicals, Videos,continually updated stream of news through cable channels, Internet portals and news sites, social networking sites, mobile devices, and news screens on buildings and in public transportation and the list goes on and on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2008, 06:48 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,849,699 times
the problem with any kind of censorship is that people don't know where to stop and what is acceptable and what is not. censoring someone for thoughts is as bad as censorship of sexual orientation or religion or whatever else. people can't practice selective tolerance in my opinion. the second we start censoring opinions and thoughts, we are moving in the direction that george orwell warned us about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
How about when Rush talked on his radio show about the national convention in Denver and related to riots in the street, would be one of the hate messages from his studio that comes to mind, and another is when he talked about Mrs Edwards who is ill with cancer and having to deal with her husband John’s affair that made the news. Rush had some very very negative comments about Mrs Edwards should be taking care of John with her mouth and keeping him happy. It was not only the topic, but the way he delivered the comment. Totally uncalled for and inappropriate!

Old 09-29-2008, 07:04 PM

316 posts, read 692,757 times
John and Ken RULE !
AT KFI AM 640 IN SOCAL !!!

Old 09-29-2008, 09:39 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,556,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
If you can go out and find me three examples (from mainstream sources that are not commentary and are not links from blogs) of liberal spin and disinformation and point such out to us, I'll give you a rep point and I'd call on everyone else to do the same.

I'd offer you a million dollars, but I'm not Warren Buffett. The money's just not there for me.
Nobody's taking the jfre81 Challenge yet.

I suppose it's sort of like the Pepsi Challenge, except that you could actually lose. Not that you would really lose anything....

Old 09-30-2008, 05:54 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,692,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Nobody's taking the jfre81 Challenge yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81
If you can go out and find me three examples (from mainstream sources that are not commentary and are not links from blogs) of liberal spin and disinformation and point such out to us, I'll give you a rep point and I'd call on everyone else to do the same.

I suppose it's sort of like the Pepsi Challenge, except that you could actually lose. Not that you would really lose anything....
Thoughtful people who follow the news on all fronts, seeking a balanced view, can easily see the patterns of deception and spin on either the left or the right. They don't need a specific example to understand this.

Journalism as it ought to be is dead. Now news with a goal to influence and support an agenda passes for 'journalism'.

Those who can't see it have already had the wool pulled over their eyes.

Old 09-30-2008, 06:16 AM

1,833 posts, read 6,426,442 times
Let's see the loony libs calls Talk Radio biased and ultra conservative and want the FAIRNESS DOCTRINE to silence the right.

Meanwhile you have ABC, CBS, NBC, CNBC, MSNBC, CNN, etc etc.and every newspaper in the country.

I see where Obama gets his desire to silence those that don't agree with him.

Old 09-30-2008, 06:39 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,480,601 times
Rush is entertaining, even when I don't agree with him, but I don't think they get everything right. Like it's silly that they blame ALL of America's problems squarely on the Democrats. I'm pretty conservative, but there's just no way that's possible. If a cat gets stuck in a tree in Des Moines, rest assured they'll find a way to spin it against the Dems. Most of Talk radio is also way out there, but it's their right to speak, and my right to listen or turn off the dial.

Old 09-30-2008, 07:22 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,258,323 times
I find it very scary that ANYONE would even suggest that a certain form of media be censured IN ANY WAY!

Old 09-30-2008, 07:37 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,556,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Thoughtful people who follow the news on all fronts, seeking a balanced view, can easily see the patterns of deception and spin on either the left or the right. They don't need a specific example to understand this.
I'm interested to see what the people here declare to be "spin." If nobody can produce a specific example (Google is your friend - it's a big Internet out there), I can't help but think that people are parroting a talking point.

Quote:
Journalism as it ought to be is dead.
You're preaching to the choir there. You won't find a bigger critic of the corporate mass media than me, but probably for reasons that may not be the same as most people on this forum.

Old 09-30-2008, 07:48 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
With the exception of a few examples that are shamelesly right or left,. the mainstram media has a very glaring slant---toward the orthodox. The news media is very unwilling to rock the boat. In the early part of the Bush administration, the word "stenographic" was often used to describe the mainstram press. The media was slitting open press released from State and Defense and setting them into type uncritically. This is a very serious slant, The famous line "it could not be independently verified" meant only one thing: The relevant US government agency said "No comment". Nothing the White House said ever needed to be "independently verified". The recognized news media defaulted into what was virtually the White House organ. In Iraq and Afghanistan, for example, there was no coverage of anything except from embedded reporters who were being taken around by the hand. Some events, like the Saddam statue, were literally staged as photo-ops, and the networks dutifully interrupted regular programming to carry them live and without inquiry. If the media had become any more cheerleaders for the White House, pedophiles would have started taping them doing the splits.

Last edited by jtur88; 09-30-2008 at 08:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies