Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 12:57 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,845,782 times

Advertisements

I get kind of tired of reading threads and posts bashing places like the south for being uneducated racist white red states. it's ignorant stereotyping. so I have decided to combat that ignorant stereotyping with more ignorant stereotyping. this should boil the blood of the overly sensitive liberal types. let's take a look at some of the most educated states. VT, CT, MA, NJ, ME, and MN. these states all have something in common which I will get to in a minute. now how about the least educated states. AZ, MS, NM, NV, CA, LA, AL, and AK. now what do these states have in common? keep in mind, I said I was going to combat ignorant stereotyping with more ignorant stereotyping.

percentage of white people in the educated states.
VT-98%
CT-87%
MA-90%
NJ-80%
ME-98%
MN-88%

percentage of white people in the uneducated states.
AZ-59%
MS-62%
NM-50%
NV-65%
CA-58%
LA-65%
AL-72%
AK-69%

so what does this suggest? the whiter the state, the more educated the state. perhaps it's not uneducated racist whites that are bringing down the national test scores, it's the minorities. maybe mississippi should chuck a few minorities up to maine the next time they do the standardized testing. I bet that would drag down the test scores!

if this thread has taught us anything, which it hasn't, it's that an ignorant stereotype is an ignorant stereotype. perhaps those who consistently bash the south as being uneducated and racist will look at this thread and realize how stupid it sounds when the script has been flipped. racist white people don't bring down test scores, nor do minorities. stupid people bring down test scores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2008, 01:11 PM

7,526 posts, read 11,358,025 times
Where does class/income fit into this?

Those educated whites are probably largely middle class and up and those uneducated are mostly low income poor people. States like Massachusetts may have large numbers of wealthy white people and Mississipi has large numbers of poor Black people. This can be shaped by economic opportunities in both states. I'd assume that Mississipi's unemployment is much higher than Massachusset's.

Old 09-29-2008, 01:14 PM

education can fit in wherever you feel like inserting a statistic. this was more a response to all the bashing of the "uneducated racist south."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Where does class/income fit into this?

Those educated whites are probably largely middle class and up and those uneducated are mostly low income poor people. States like Massachusetts may have large numbers of wealthy white people and Mississipi has large numbers of poor Black people. This can be shaped by economic opportunities in both states. I'd assume that Mississipi's unemployment if much higher than Massachusset's.

Old 09-29-2008, 01:19 PM

7,526 posts, read 11,358,025 times
Anyway it was a bad move for those red state voters(mostly whites) to have overwhelmingly re-elected George Bush in 04. They re-elected a mess.

Old 09-29-2008, 01:23 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
this should boil the blood of the overly sensitive liberal types.
Not really.

We're quite accustomed to everything equating to race with many white Americans.

Last edited by 18Montclair; 09-29-2008 at 01:39 PM..

Old 09-29-2008, 01:29 PM

liberals are also quite accustomed to blaming obama's poor numbers in certain states on lack of education. like I said, this was a sarcastic response to the 50,000 posts I read about how obama is losing the south to those ignorant racist rednecks. the stereotyping on both sides gets a little old, does it not? do you fail to see the irony in the thousands of posts about ignorant white voters in the south, and this one post that minorities bring down test scores, and I'm the one who brought up race. gotcha.

[quote=18Montclair;5475700]
Quote:
this should boil the blood of the overly sensitive liberal types.[?QUOTE]

Not really.

We're quite accustomed to everything equating to race with many white Americans.

Old 09-29-2008, 01:31 PM

they made a mistake electing him in 2000.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Anyway it was a bad move for those red state voters(mostly whites) to have overwhelmingly re-elected George Bush in 04. They re-elected a mess.

Old 09-29-2008, 01:36 PM

65 posts, read 112,884 times
jmarquis,

You're absolutely right. You stated what I have always thought. Thank you.

Old 09-29-2008, 01:41 PM

36,653 posts, read 67,476,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
liberals are also quite accustomed to blaming obama's poor numbers in certain states on lack of education.
Just 2 states got headlines for that.

Kentucky and West Virginia.

And that was in the primary.

Old 09-29-2008, 01:49 PM

I am talking about this forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Just 2 states got headlines for that.

Kentucky and West Virginia.

And that was in the primary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies