U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-30-2008, 01:39 PM
 
26,297 posts, read 17,198,522 times
Reputation: 10273

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Thousand View Post
Capitalistic. Competitive. Following the theory of pricing that encourages consumption rather than limiting production to encourage short supply.



Unless you own a press, there are no manufacturing jobs that are "ours". But, to the point, yes. The supposed American spirit of ingenuity and claim to be "the greatest workers in the world" would lead one to believe that Americans can compete with the workers of other countries... but we can't. However, that just means we've lost the American spirit, but allowing competition is American.



No one forced mom'n'pops out of business. Mom and pop refused to adapt to the changing market. In his book "Made in America", Sam Walton explicitly explained how small timers could compete with him.

Let me pass it back to you: Does "American" to you mean forcing consumers to buy a product when there's something else they'd prefer, comrade?



I don't know what the Chinese employees are getting paid, but I do know that Walmart is doing awfully well over there. If they weren't making money, I don't think anyone would be buying.



Yes. When you buy cheap from developing countries, you assume a risk.

You have addressed my points, but I am not going to agree with you on your points at all. Time is not on my side at the moment to thoughtfully and articulately address your response, but I will later to be sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-30-2008, 01:48 PM
 
Location: Santa Monica
4,708 posts, read 7,701,403 times
Reputation: 1029
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfjtm View Post
I applaud the House Republicans and 40 Democrats who voted against the bill. It was an AWFUL bill last Tuesday and only slightly improved today. If the Fed wants to have a bill of a 5 year loan on 2% interest, that would be more reasonable, but none of these ideas of giving the Treasury 100% power in dictating where the money goes, since Paulson is NOT to be trusted.

Be aware that many of the Dems who voted 'no' did so because they think the bill doesn't go far enough to help the citizens. Kucinich, for instance, a far-left guy, voted 'no'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2008, 09:29 PM
 
26,297 posts, read 17,198,522 times
Reputation: 10273
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
Be aware that many of the Dems who voted 'no' did so because they think the bill doesn't go far enough to help the citizens. Kucinich, for instance, a far-left guy, voted 'no'.
When were Americans ever forced to buy a product?...the point is that Walmart is discouraging competition by knocking out the competition Prices are so low that you cannot compete. The one thing that I will praise NYC for, is not allowing a Walmart to open there. That is not what stimulates our economy. Less than half of Walmart employees have health insurance and the ones that are insured have deductibles as high as $350.

Americans are crazed with consumerism and our teens are ranking among the lowest in the world in math and science. This is truly the "dumbing down of America."

We are in debt to China for $407.4 billion as of May, 2007.
U.S. merchandise trade deficit with China is indeed large and growing.
The U.S. has gone from being the world's number-one creditor to being the world's number-one debtor.

I do not need to assume a life or death risk when I shop. I'd rather not take a chance on poisonong my kids or my pet, thank you very much! I purchase many organically produced products from fair trade companies whose products are safety regulated. Sorry, but your statement was obtuse.


Fight your enemy - Consumerism The Penny Saved
Wal-Mart Watch - Battle-Mart: Economic/Small Business (http://walmartwatch.com/battlemart/go/cat/economic_small_business - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-30-2008, 10:02 PM
 
Location: DFW, TX
2,935 posts, read 6,115,100 times
Reputation: 571
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
When were Americans ever forced to buy a product?...the point is that Walmart is discouraging competition by knocking out the competition Prices are so low that you cannot compete. The one thing that I will praise NYC for, is not allowing a Walmart to open there. That is not what stimulates our economy. Less than half of Walmart employees have health insurance and the ones that are insured have deductibles as high as $350.

Americans are crazed with consumerism and our teens are ranking among the lowest in the world in math and science. This is truly the "dumbing down of America."

We are in debt to China for $407.4 billion as of May, 2007.
U.S. merchandise trade deficit with China is indeed large and growing.
The U.S. has gone from being the world's number-one creditor to being the world's number-one debtor.

I do not need to assume a life or death risk when I shop. I'd rather not take a chance on poisonong my kids or my pet, thank you very much! I purchase many organically produced products from fair trade companies whose products are safety regulated. Sorry, but your statement was obtuse.


Fight your enemy - Consumerism The Penny Saved
Wal-Mart Watch - Battle-Mart: Economic/Small Business (http://walmartwatch.com/battlemart/go/cat/economic_small_business - broken link)

YouTube - P&T Bull**** Wal-Mart Hatred Part 1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2008, 01:14 AM
 
Location: At my computador
2,057 posts, read 3,084,235 times
Reputation: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
When were Americans ever forced to buy a product?
As long as there are no trade wars or limitations on imports, no one. However, if an effort is made to limit imports, then our options are limited by force. Although we may not be forced to by a certain product, force is used to limit our options.

Quote:
...the point is that Walmart is discouraging competition by knocking out the competition Prices are so low that you cannot compete.
That's good. We benefit from it.

If Walmart starts to do something bad like forcing suppliers to not sell to competitors, then the government needs to intervene.

Quote:
The one thing that I will praise NYC for, is not allowing a Walmart to open there. That is not what stimulates our economy. Less than half of Walmart employees have health insurance and the ones that are insured have deductibles as high as $350.
What claim to fame, in regard to economics, do you have to make such a claim?

Quote:
Americans are crazed with consumerism and our teens are ranking among the lowest in the world in math and science. This is truly the "dumbing down of America."
Yes, yes, and it's all the western devil... Walmart.

Quote:
We are in debt to China for $407.4 billion as of May, 2007.
U.S. merchandise trade deficit with China is indeed large and growing.
The U.S. has gone from being the world's number-one creditor to being the world's number-one debtor.
Sounds like you should contact your Congressional reps and let them know it's time to reduce spending and start paying down the debt.

Quote:
I do not need to assume a life or death risk when I shop. I'd rather not take a chance on poisonong my kids or my pet, thank you very much! I purchase many organically produced products from fair trade companies whose products are safety regulated. Sorry, but your statement was obtuse.
I guess you're saving the planet one sheet of TP at a time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2008, 06:38 AM
 
4,089 posts, read 4,705,738 times
Reputation: 1251
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Less than half of Walmart employees have health insurance and the ones that are insured have deductibles as high as $350.
I am not going to get into the Wal-Mart debate, but on this point, you are wrong. Furthermore, more employees of Wal-Mart (as a percentage) have health insurance than do those working for "Mom and Pop". These reports are all over the internet. Spend a few minutes with your friend Google and learn for yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2008, 08:08 AM
 
26,297 posts, read 17,198,522 times
Reputation: 10273
Besides the fact that this is way of the OP's original topic...let's agree to disagree and be done with it.
I am finding it increasingly nauseating to debate an issue about a corporation that is obviously riddled with the greed of its board of directors. Keep buying there and help us on the road to corporate ruled America! Very unpatriotic!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2008, 08:51 AM
 
9 posts, read 10,407 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Thousand View Post

Walmart is the finest company in America because they're philosophically American.
If by that word American you mean greedy and self interested, then yes. If thats all 'American' means now, we should be better served in the "Would you favor a new revolution thread"

But back to the bail out- Lets give the Government more power. They've done such a good job and everyone knows the Government can control private interests such that regulation works.

Maybe Paulson should suggest that Social Security numbers become employee ID numbers in the United States Corporation, of whose board is Chinese/Arab.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2008, 01:02 PM
 
Location: At my computador
2,057 posts, read 3,084,235 times
Reputation: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Besides the fact that this is way of the OP's original topic...let's agree to disagree and be done with it.
I am finding it increasingly nauseating to debate an issue about a corporation that is obviously riddled with the greed of its board of directors. Keep buying there and help us on the road to corporate ruled America! Very unpatriotic!
I'll agree that you don't know what you're talking about. Bueno?

If you want to close this topic, then don't offer a truce and then try flatulating more of your opinions on the subject... and don't start arguments you clearly lack the knowledge to support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASmithWasCorrect View Post
If by that word American you mean greedy and self interested, then yes. If thats all 'American' means now, we should be better served in the "Would you favor a new revolution thread"
You haven't read Smith, have you? What Walmart does is facilitate bringing markets together which serves the poor by giving them affordable goods. Rather than price their goods for making the greatest profits, they price their goods at the lowest possible price to attain a reasonable ROI.

I don't think you'd find another major company in America who is so American... and so in line with Smith.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-01-2008, 08:15 PM
 
Location: Ohio
19,679 posts, read 14,144,272 times
Reputation: 15858
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Thousand View Post
Capitalistic. Competitive. Following the theory of pricing that encourages consumption rather than limiting production to encourage short supply.
That is neither Capitalism nor Capitalist.

Capitalism is simply an economic theory that supposes that the means of production should be in the control of private individuals, rather than the government or an oligarchical group.

Prices are set by Supply & Demand as determined by the Market in Market Economics (aka the Free Market). If there is no demand for an item, then the price is irrelevant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top