U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-01-2008, 10:54 PM

2,057 posts, read 2,173,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvcgal View Post
As a democrat, I am pro-choice! I believe that every woman has a right to determine what happens to her own body without the government stepping in (something most Republicans should be for since you all like LESS government).
As a libertarian leaning Republican, we're for less centralized government-- States should have the right to decide for themselves.

You say you should be able to do what you want with your body without regard to the child. Would you also support that I can walk anywhere I want and if someone interferes with my path-- interferes with my free rule of my body-- I should be able to murder them? What if I actually invited that person to interfere with my body, does that change my right to murder them?... I guess that's sort of saying "Come stand over here" and when they do, I kill them for getting in my way.

Would you please explain the difference?

Quote:
I do not believe, personally in abortion for myself, but then again...
If I said I personally don't believe in rape myself, but I'm opposed to it being illegal, would there be any difference between our opinions? How so?

Quote:
I also think that people who are anti-abortion need to step up and become foster parents and adoptive parents. When young girls are forced into having these children that they do not want, many of these children go up for adoption and are never adopted and instead spend their lives in foster home after foster home.
How do you define "many" children? Do you have any sources citing the number of babies that don't get adopted? My understanding is that there are so few babies that people go overseas.

Quote:
That is not a life worth living for many of these kids.
Why not wait until they become unhappy to kill them? Some of them might be happy, right? Let's give them an abortion option. At, say, ten yrs or so, if they're not happy, you can go ahead and ram something into their skulls? Bueno?
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2008, 10:59 PM

49,280 posts, read 45,802,045 times
im a democrat. i support capital punishment. it is important to remember that it is women, not men that want abortion and pushed for it. it is a womens issue not a GOP or demo issue.

Old 10-01-2008, 11:07 PM

1,385 posts, read 1,970,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by big mean bear View Post
This is the ultimate hot topic thread... Why do Democrats support the killing of fetuses (living, breathing human beings) and yet they always raise hell about executing the most bloodthirsty murderers???
Ummm....inmates are not living, breathing humans?

Old 10-01-2008, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
im a democrat. i support capital punishment. it is important to remember that it is women, not men that want abortion and pushed for it. it is a womens issue not a GOP or demo issue.
It's an issue about babies-- not men or women.

Old 10-01-2008, 11:20 PM
YBF

1,260 posts, read 2,062,012 times
If a woman wants an abortion let her to do it. Why do the Pro-lifers care so much about babies that arent here yet but the kids in foster care that are being molested, abused, raped no one is protesting about? Would ppl rather mothers get wire hanger abortions again? Ppl spend thousands of dollars to adopt a "baby" from China but wont become a foster parent or adopt one of the needy "kids" here. Why is that? The foster care system is a joke. Lots of ppl only sign up for it so they can get the extra income fro mthe govt. I've seen this many times. I know plenty of kids who were molested and abusive in our foster care system. Who cared about them? Who helped them? No one...

As for not supporting the death penalty.....with all the coruption in the our govt and legal system how can you be so sure than everyone convicted of murder actually did it? I've seen plenty of cases being over turned over the years because of dna evidence that wasnt available before. Everyone locked up maynot be guilty. But every woman getting an abortion has to carry, deliver and provide for that child. I dont support abortions I support a womans right to choose. You may not like abortion but you dont have the right to say what happens to the other millions of women in this country.

Old 10-01-2008, 11:27 PM

1,372 posts, read 2,360,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Thousand View Post
It's an issue about babies-- not men or women.
Exactly. It's 50/50, even though the woman is the beast of burden. Abortion shouldn't be legal because some women want it to be.

Old 10-01-2008, 11:34 PM

2,384 posts, read 4,022,883 times
Quote:
As a libertarian leaning Republican, we're for less centralized government-- States should have the right to decide for themselves.

You say you should be able to do what you want with your body without regard to the child. Would you also support that I can walk anywhere I want and if someone interferes with my path-- interferes with my free rule of my body-- I should be able to murder them? What if I actually invited that person to interfere with my body, does that change my right to murder them?... I guess that's sort of saying "Come stand over here" and when they do, I kill them for getting in my way.

Would you please explain the difference?

If I said I personally don't believe in rape myself, but I'm opposed to it being illegal, would there be any difference between our opinions? How so?

How do you define "many" children? Do you have any sources citing the number of babies that don't get adopted? My understanding is that there are so few babies that people go overseas.

Why not wait until they become unhappy to kill them? Some of them might be happy, right? Let's give them an abortion option. At, say, ten yrs or so, if they're not happy, you can go ahead and ram something into their skulls? Bueno?
1. Many Republicans I know, and living in Va I know plenty, want less government. Period. End of story. They are tired of the government taking over education, they certainly do not want the government to take over the healthcare system and they want less and less government involved in our everyday lives.
2. Again, you are assuming that the fetus is a person. I stated that many clinics and myself do not determine the life of a fetus until there is a heartbeat. I did not go past that point and nor was I asked my opinion past the 9 week mark but so you know, I do have a more difficult time accepting abortion after the 9 week mark. Once a heartbeat has formed, I, consider the fetus a person. Your example here is ridiculous!
3. Just because I believe that a woman has a right to do what she wants with her body does not mean that I am going to do the same thing. Now, if I were raped, this might be a different discussion. I would NEVER have a child if it were conceived during a rape! That said, if I am single and out drinking and having a good time and happen to have a one night stand and get pregnant, I am not going to abort the child BUT that is what is best for me. That is not always the case for these women and you would be shocked to find out who has the most abortions!!! White women with careers!!! Oh yes!!! I do have the research, and will pull it out for you. I spent 4 months researching this topic and can tell you that this is an upper class issue not a lower class issue!!!!
4. First, the adoption in the US is so difficult and expensive that many people go overseas. I can provide you all the info that you would like. Coming from a family that has adopted twice in the last 5 years, I can tell you that there are kids out there with special needs that never get adopted. There are kids out there that are born addicted to cocaine that never get adopted. The numbers of children that never get adopted is alarming. More caucasain kids get adopted than african-american children. The older a child is when he/she enters the foster system, the less likely he/she is to be adopted. Again, this is all coming from research that I have done over the years but I will get you the sources.
5. WHAT??? That is the most exaggerated argument I have ever heard. First of all, you are again assuming that the fetus is a person and I have already stated my view on that. Secondly, at 10 you feel pain and know pain. That is the key! You know pain at 10. Your brain is formed and your sensors are connected to the brain so when pain is inflicted, your brain sends signals stating that you are in pain. When a fetus is a few weeks old, there is no brain, no sensors to connect to the brain to alarm the fetus of pain so there is no pain. You are talking about inflicting pain on a child that he/she would feel and not only that, but you would have to research all the women that wanted to abort but didn't in order to make that statement work in your favor.

So have you become a foster parent or adopted since you have such a strong opinion on the matter???

Old 10-01-2008, 11:37 PM

1,385 posts, read 1,970,348 times
I think the op is way off track if he thinks only democrats have had abortions.

Old 10-01-2008, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvcgal View Post
Secondly, at 10 you feel pain and know pain. That is the key!
It doesn't have to be painful. You could just have a doctor (because we wouldn't want an amateur handling this... back alley murder and such) walk up behind and jam a knife in the back of their skull. A doctor could make it quick and painless.

That makes it okay, right?

Old 10-01-2008, 11:55 PM

2,384 posts, read 4,022,883 times
Quote:
It doesn't have to be painful. You could just have a doctor (because we wouldn't want an amateur handling this... back alley murder and such) walk up behind and jam a knife in the back of their skull. A doctor could make it quick and painless.

That makes it okay, right?
Is this the only argument you have. A hypothetical 10 year old being murdered by a doctor? A 10 year old, who again, can feel pain unlike a 6 week old fetus???
Again, when was the last time that you became a foster parent or adopted a child in order to stop this and become part of the solution rather than the problem???
All talk, no action!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies