Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: is this a good idea?
this is a great idea! 13 44.83%
this is a horrible idea! 10 34.48%
how dare you, parents need that money! they can raise taxes to pay for my child's health care. 1 3.45%
not sure, but it should be researched. 5 17.24%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 05:22 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,500,101 times

Advertisements

I don't understand why it's considered acceptable to discriminate against the childfree.

Here's a concept: everyone pays for their own health care. That means that a child has to live to a working age before they get ANY.

Second idea: Healthcare is free to EVERYONE. No charge. You provide it for altruistic reasons, and not for what it can get you.

Last edited by TKramar; 10-02-2008 at 05:25 PM.. Reason: additional information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2008, 05:24 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,790,221 times
there is no doubt about it. the child free get the poop end of the stick for their personal choices. I think it's BS, but those with children always come up with weak arguments. I can't see any problem that someone with kids would have with this plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I don't understand why it's considered acceptable to discriminate against the childfree.

Old 10-02-2008, 05:27 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,629,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfjtm View Post
Tobacco is definitely not a necessity to live in this country, and it's not a necessity for a high quality of life. If someone has to pay $5 for a pack of cigarettes, smoke less often or reduce the need for future healthcare by quitting. Smoking contributes to many health issues, which require healthcare funds to treat. I have no problem at all with implementing tobacco taxes to fund healthcare programs.

I would have a problem with raising taxes on anything that is necessary for living - inexpensive clothes, food, and shelter, since that would directly affect every poor family in the country. However, tobacco and alcohol are used by every social group in the country, while not being a necessity for a good quality of life, so I have no problem with healthcare taxes being implemented to them.
That is still an unfair attack on a certain group of people. Driving is not a necessity for a good quality of life judging from your list of items, so would you be for an increased fuel tax? Not fair, you say, because smoking is bad for you and driving is not. Tell that to the hundreds of thousands of people who have been hurt or lost a friend in a car accident. To constantly raise taxes to target a specific group of people begins to look like prejudice.

Old 10-02-2008, 05:40 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,629,565 times
I am a 29 year old father of 2 who has never really been able to keep up with a $500 dollar a month insurance payment. It just isn't in the books for me right now. When someone in my family gets sick, they go to the doctor and I pay the bill. Sure, there may come a day when something is wrong that I can't handle like that. But maybe by then I will be in a better way as far as my finances go and I will have health coverage. I believe it is my responsibility to care for my own, and I won't lie and say that pride has nothing to do with it. If my family was starving, I would take the help of a neighbor. But I bet I'd be out back cutting their lawn or something before the day was out. As far as J's plan goes, it does sound workable except for the fact that contrary to popular belief not all parents get these huge checks back every year. The most I ever received was $1900 dollars as a parent and that was mainly because I was working an $8.00 an hour job so I got most of my taxes back. That wouldn't cover 4 months of healthcare. You are better off just living your life and taking care of the bumps when they pop up. I'll tell you something else too, if parents would stop taking little Timmy to the doctor every time he gets a bruise or a runny nose they'd see it really doesn't cost that much to see to your child's health. Real healthcare begins at home, and as long as you take proper care of them mind, body, and soul most parents will have relatively few problems. Broken limbs happen, but you can pay for them without some multi billion dollar insurance conglomerate. The core of my statement here is to state that I believe in the responsibility of the parent in taking care of their child.

PS I would also like to say that most insurance companies are simply bottomless pits you toss money into and when you need them most they find a way to leave us hanging. So really, who needs them anyway.

Old 10-02-2008, 05:56 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,179,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
this seems to be a big issue. who is responsible for paying for a child's health care? I have a solution that will ensure all children health care, and will not raise taxes on anyone. this plan will also ensure that only those with children are paying for children's health care. the SCHIP programs was to be financed on increased taxes on tobacco, which is an indirect tax on the poor. it's simple, we get rid of the child tax credit. instead of the government writing large checks for parents each spring, they can use that money to finance guaranteed health care for all kids. an easy solution with no tax increase. I can't believe this has never been proposed.
Is that you Gov. Perry ? Did you leave Texas?

Old 10-02-2008, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
this seems to be a big issue. who is responsible for paying for a child's health care? I have a solution that will ensure all children health care, and will not raise taxes on anyone. this plan will also ensure that only those with children are paying for children's health care. the SCHIP programs was to be financed on increased taxes on tobacco, which is an indirect tax on the poor. it's simple, we get rid of the child tax credit. instead of the government writing large checks for parents each spring, they can use that money to finance guaranteed health care for all kids. an easy solution with no tax increase. I can't believe this has never been proposed.
Also a $1.50 tax on a six pack of beer and $2.00 on a bottle of wine..

Old 10-02-2008, 06:04 PM

why are you adding taxes? my proposal does not raise taxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
Also a $1.50 tax on a six pack of beer and $2.00 on a bottle of wine..

Old 10-02-2008, 06:06 PM

He did for more money for the school system.

Why do some people want everyone else to support their children?

Old 10-02-2008, 06:06 PM

you know how I am about personal responsibility, so this is my compromise. I need to hear from a liberal parent! I want to see how much they want the government to provide for the children if it comes directly out of their pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reads2MUCH View Post
I am a 29 year old father of 2 who has never really been able to keep up with a $500 dollar a month insurance payment. It just isn't in the books for me right now. When someone in my family gets sick, they go to the doctor and I pay the bill. Sure, there may come a day when something is wrong that I can't handle like that. But maybe by then I will be in a better way as far as my finances go and I will have health coverage. I believe it is my responsibility to care for my own, and I won't lie and say that pride has nothing to do with it. If my family was starving, I would take the help of a neighbor. But I bet I'd be out back cutting their lawn or something before the day was out. As far as J's plan goes, it does sound workable except for the fact that contrary to popular belief not all parents get these huge checks back every year. The most I ever received was $1900 dollars as a parent and that was mainly because I was working an $8.00 an hour job so I got most of my taxes back. That wouldn't cover 4 months of healthcare. You are better off just living your life and taking care of the bumps when they pop up. I'll tell you something else too, if parents would stop taking little Timmy to the doctor every time he gets a bruise or a runny nose they'd see it really doesn't cost that much to see to your child's health. Real healthcare begins at home, and as long as you take proper care of them mind, body, and soul most parents will have relatively few problems. Broken limbs happen, but you can pay for them without some multi billion dollar insurance conglomerate. The core of my statement here is to state that I believe in the responsibility of the parent in taking care of their child.

PS I would also like to say that most insurance companies are simply bottomless pits you toss money into and when you need them most they find a way to leave us hanging. So really, who needs them anyway.

Old 10-02-2008, 06:07 PM

I don't want it. this plan ensures that the parents are responsible for it. the money comes from them. the money that used to go out to them in the spring, is now going to pay for health care. if I had my way, we would get rid of WIC, and many other social services.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
He did for more money for the school system.

Why do some people want everyone else to support their children?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies