Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 12:12 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,426,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnamecanido View Post
Have you seen the movie or heard about the movie THE BRIDGE? About suicides on the Golden Gate bridge? Pretty good stuff.
CAN'T SAY THAT I HAVE

Last edited by mkfarnam; 10-07-2008 at 12:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2008, 12:26 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,450,941 times
Quote from CNN article: "He talked himself into the second strategy, believing that was, in effect, the honorable thing to do."

============================

Asians (East Indians also) typically have the mindset of performing an "honor" killing. This happens from time to time in Los Angeles among foreign born residents who keep close to their culture. The man was renting the house he lived in so it wasn't a matter of a foreclosure. Cultures clash and values clash in the USA all the time. He was highly educated but was out of work and made some poor money choices, so to save his family the "embarassment" which would be a social stigma in the nation they come from, he kills them all. Sad, but this has happened in Los Angeles many times before.

Old 10-07-2008, 12:26 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,716,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
Americanized, it's debatable as to whether they are Western or Eastern.
Interesting, you would think with all the talk of America being a nation with no culture, such a statement as you have just made would be non-existent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
In the free world, men take their debt to the grave. Spouses (not lineage) in many cases may be responsible but never children of the deceased.
I wonder why this has occurred?

Old 10-07-2008, 12:39 PM

3,860 posts, read 8,451,439 times
ABC News: 6 Die in Family Murder-Suicide in Los Angeles

Last edited by katzenfreund; 10-07-2008 at 10:39 PM.. Reason: quote you refer to has been deleted

Old 10-07-2008, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
I didn't realize that 7 and 12 year olds were that deeply entrenched in a political ideology.
Don't be fooled, children are raised based on political ideology.

Quote:
Nice way to advocate child killing.
Oh you, such a spinner...

Old 10-07-2008, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTraik View Post
Don't be fooled, children are raised based on political ideology.
So. I was raised in a pro-union democratic household. I voted for Ron Paul this year. What's your point?

Quote:
Oh you, such a spinner...
Well I admit that was inappropriate on my part so I changed it. He can answer if he wishes.

Old 10-07-2008, 12:57 PM

Quote:
So. I was raised in a pro-union democratic household. I voted for Ron Paul this year. What's your point?
My point is that children are entrenched from the get go.

Old 10-07-2008, 01:13 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,066,518 times
Quote:
Interesting, you would think with all the talk of America being a nation with no culture, such a statement as you have just made would be non-existent.
I don't know where people get the idea we have no culture. Our American culture is very deeply rooted in Western Europe. We have variances of course due to simply changing ideals and the influence of other cultures. Scotland is slightly different from England and Canada is Slightly different from the US. There are also many cultural variances within the US. Texans, like me for example, are generally very different form folks from the East coast though our basic culture is essentially the same. You took the fact that I was referring to Japan entirely out of context. Japan, though technically Eastern has adopted Western culture and combined it with their own. It really has no relevance to American culture and was used as an example of one of the few free nations that still practices multi-generational financing. Western culture at one time held progeny responsible for debt but that was a very long time ago. My western European ancestors thought the heads of their enemies made great decorations for the mantle but that too was a very long time ago. This guy is from a different culture where no doubt they still practice the "sins of the father" routine. If you wish to return to a biblical type of governing system then perhaps the West isn't the right place for you?

Sometimes the word honor is thrown around too randomly without consideration as to how different cultures define honor. Chinese "face" for example refers exclusively to how other people see you, not how you are, yet is frequently interchanged with the western concept of honor. Chinese Face is a reference to pride while in western culture, though often confused, pride and honor are two entirely different things.

Quote:
I wonder why this has occurred?
Does it really require an explanation?

Old 10-07-2008, 01:15 PM

Quote:
My point is that children are entrenched from the get go.
I highly doubt that a 7 and 12 year old are that deeply into politics. I wasn't at that age. My neices and nephews around that age aren't.

Old 10-07-2008, 01:19 PM

Quote:
I highly doubt that a 7 and 12 year old are that deeply into politics. I wasn't at that age. My neices and nephews around that age aren't.
Nip it in the bud... as they always say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies