Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 05:40 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,044,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
I have no problem paying taxes either to make sure kids have the education they need when private schooling isn't an option. My reason for supporting the voucher system is to give parents who otherwise could not afford private education the option of sending their kids to private schools instead of having them waste away in a failing public school. It's about opening up choices for those parents who could not afford a quality education for their child otherwise.

Although I do not have kids, I was educated in the public school system and lost one precious year of education due to teacher strikes. I also endured many teachers that were burnt out and clearly demonstrated that they had no desire to teach. I would have had more options opened up for me had my mother received a voucher to send me to a private school. Parents who can afford a private education for their children aren't the ones that need the vouchers, it's the children of low income parents that need it the most.
It's a myth that voucher produce better educational results.

Old 10-12-2008, 05:48 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,166,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
It's a myth that voucher produce better educational results.
It is the truth that vouchers give far more choices to parents as to how to educate THEIR children

Old 10-12-2008, 05:49 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,752,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
It is the truth that vouchers give far more choices to parents as to how to educate THEIR children
Well why can't these parents use THEIR money to educate THEIR children?
If they make the wrong choice, it's on them.

Old 10-12-2008, 05:52 PM

39,031 posts, read 22,968,259 times
I give up! I don't even have kids and I do not need a refund of my tax dollars. I'm just advocating on behalf of the kids who are stuck in failing public schools because their parents cannot afford to send them to a private school and have no other options. I guess we should just continue to throw money at failing public schools and maintain the status quo then! I get the feeling that many people find that better than allowing one dime of taxpayer money to be spent in a parochial school because they hate religion.

Old 10-12-2008, 06:04 PM

Quote:
I give up! I don't even have kids and I do not need a refund of my tax dollars. I'm just advocating on behalf of the kids who are stuck in failing public schools because their parents cannot afford to send them to a private school and have no other options. I guess we should just continue to throw money at failing public schools and maintain the status quo then! I get the feeling that many people find that better than allowing one dime of taxpayer money to be spent in a parochial school because they hate religion.
I would be one of those people who wouldn't want taxpayer money to be spent in a parochial school because I hate religion.

I think throwing money at failing public schools is one of the many problems facing public schools today.

Old 10-12-2008, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Nothing wrong with choice, but let's not pretend that this improves the education process.

Old 10-12-2008, 06:07 PM

Quote:
What we've established is that it isn't the schools. It's the students who aren't succeeding. Give them vouchers and send them to private school and the performance is the same.

Old 10-12-2008, 06:13 PM

Quote:
What we've established is that it isn't the schools. It's the students who aren't succeeding. Give them vouchers and send them to private school and the performance is the same.
Sometimes this is true, sometimes it isn't.

I personally knew a lot of kids who cared less about school and I'm sure they'd have the same feelings in a private school as well.
The problem is we have this idea that EVERYONE is entitled to a free public education. I wouldn't object if EVERY KID in this country WANTED to learn.
We must also address the issues at home that affect a child's learning in the classroom. Some kids are more concerned with whether or not they will get a meal that night than if 8 times 2 is 16.

Symposium: Should public education be free?

I love this:
"

Socrates: I restate my original question: Should public school be free? In light of the evidence presented at this dialogue, the logical conclusion, the rational conclusion, the just conclusion based upon equality under the law and human nature is that a public school education should not be free, but that each family, using their own resources, should secure the proper education for their children as they deem proper. The government should no longer be in the education business, at least at the grade-school level. Property taxes should no longer be used to fund public education, and the money saved by each citizen should be used as a voucher for the family to send that student to any school they choose. The ubiquitous issue of "the poor" can be addressed by schools offering grants, scholarships or work-study programs similar to programs offered in college. This new educational system based completely on merit will weed out the lazy, the ignorant, the disinterested, the violent, the unqualified, the moron, and leave only those students who are truly interested in learning. "

Old 10-12-2008, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveTodayLez08 View Post
Sometimes this is true, sometimes it isn't.

I personally knew a lot of kids who cared less about school and I'm sure they'd have the same feelings in a private school as well.
My comment isn't based upon some anecdote about an individual student. I'm commenting on the implied assertion that vouchers are somehow the solution to poor educational performance in inner cities. We've tried vouchers on a large scale in enough schools systems now to know that there is no material change in academic performance. I'm not anti-vouchers, but lets not proceed down another of these Republican driven paths based upon some free market dogma which we already know is bogus.

Old 10-12-2008, 06:24 PM

Quote:
My comment isn't based upon some anecdote about an individual student. I'm commenting on the implied assertion that vouchers are somehow the solution to poor educational performance in inner cities. We've tried vouchers on a large scale in enough schools systems now to know that there is no material change in academic performance. I'm not anti-vouchers, but lets not proceed down another of these Republican driven paths based upon some free market dogma which we already know is bogus.
I don't disagree with you , I was just giving my personal experience.

I've done the research on vouchers and I know they don't work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies