U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2008, 03:35 AM

4,714 posts, read 11,967,515 times

Advertisements

With the current economic crisis becoming global as we speak, I ask this question...

Because its beginning was contrived by a Liberal American Congress to stimulate its own Presidential election...should the culprits be recognized publicly and brought before a World Court to answer for their actions.

My feelings are this...a crime has been committed...America will not point a finger personally...millions will suffer and die because of a political stunt..

Because of the Global nature of our world now..does accountability mean anything at all?

Serious responses are encouraged...thank you...dk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2008, 10:07 AM

3,855 posts, read 5,309,072 times
You think like me. This crossed my mind the other day. My answer is that yes, something should be done on a large scale, not only to punish, but to discourage this from happening again. However, I seriously doubt that those responsible will ever have to pay any consequences. It's just the nature of our politically correct corner that we've painted ourselves into. We do not operate alone anymore as a country. I truly feel for those who have put their faith in this system, and have now lost savings and retirement funds. How do we fix it? Good question, D.K.

Old 10-11-2008, 11:25 AM

2,859 posts, read 9,939,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
Because its beginning was contrived by a Liberal American Congress to stimulate its own Presidential election...
Can you explain this claim further?

Old 10-11-2008, 02:15 PM
Status: "Be yourself. What's the alternative?" (set 24 days ago)

8,720 posts, read 10,857,046 times
I'm far from a polical expert, but I don't think so. The housing problem (sub prime mortgage rates) are at the core of it (most economists think this) and this has been building for quite a few years. It's interwoven with other problems, too.It's usually the liberal minded and democrats who are saying the republicans are playing dirty to win, not the other way around. Economy is cyclical and hasn't it always been, just much more magnified recently.

Old 10-11-2008, 02:25 PM

14,095 posts, read 23,699,405 times
As recently as two years ago members of the Republican party in the legislature (including Senator McCain) were calling for something to be done about Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac before they implode. Barney Frank and other Democratic Party legislatures were saying nothing was wrong. It's come to light that Senator Barney Frank was having intimate relations with an individual involved with these two groups and this relationship may have influenced his actions. Back in the mid to late 90s President Clinton pushed to force home lending institutions to lower their lending standards so that more people could have homes. Problem was that many of these people didn't have good credit rating and were among the ones who defaulted. One of Obama's advisers was in charge of one of these groups and through questionable practices, was able to leave the company with millions and now advises Obama in his campaign. When Senator Obama was a lawyer, he was on a legal team going after Fannie Mae/Freddie Mac to give loans to those people with bad credit.

Old 10-11-2008, 03:58 PM

29 posts, read 120,631 times
First of all, what is the crime? What American statute has been broken, for us to prosecute these "criminals" (as you are suggesting the culprits are)? If there isn't one, they aren't technically criminals, even if you think they should be. Bringing them to justice would be a civil case in American courts. You can sue them, so go ahead.
Although, don't fool yourself. People in both parties have contributed to the tanking economy, as well as lots of people on Wall Street and in lenders across the nation. There are individual examples popping up in the news all over the nation of mortgage companies lying outright about people's income and fraudulently approving them for a house they can't afford, not telling them that the rate will adjust, etc. There are far too many factors to blame a handful of people (that you just happen to oppose politically) for all of this disaster.

There is no legal basis to bring anyone in front of a world court for these financial shenanigans and their fallout, although I am sympathetic to your wanting some kind of justice (that, honestly, probably isn't forthcoming). There would have to have been an international agreement in place, and the US would have to be a party to it (having signed and ratified it), and there would have to be a statute in this agreement that was broken, for there to be a basis for what you are suggesting. That is the sole basis for international law - treaties and agreements.

Old 10-11-2008, 04:02 PM

3,929 posts, read 7,745,564 times
I'm curious as to why all of this political stuff is being posted in the "world" forums? Can't you take this talk to the politics and controversies forum?

Old 10-11-2008, 06:02 PM

6,745 posts, read 8,298,570 times
Quote:
With the current economic crisis becoming global as we speak, I ask this question...

Because its beginning was contrived by a Liberal American Congress to stimulate its own Presidential election...should the culprits be recognized publicly and brought before a World Court to answer for their actions.

My feelings are this...a crime has been committed...America will not point a finger personally...millions will suffer and die because of a political stunt..

Because of the Global nature of our world now..does accountability mean anything at all?

could you explain yourself further? what are you getting at....

Old 10-12-2008, 01:11 AM

4,625 posts, read 8,862,629 times
Quote:
Because its beginning was contrived by a Liberal American Congress ...

Rush rush rush ...

As soon as you stated ...

Quote:
Because its beginning was contrived by a Liberal American Congress ...
serious responses are far less likely to be offered.

However I'm sure some dittohead will be happy to post a link to an O'Reilly summary for you. Since you're a right-side thinker in the Left/Right puppet show, that's probably what you want anyways.

http://www.mediafire.com/imgbnc.php/320239fbbe77960b3f5da6193589a27c5g.jpg (broken link)

Old 10-12-2008, 01:13 AM

4,714 posts, read 11,967,515 times
With the demise of the 'Cold War, tremendous finiancial resources were shifted out of the mainstream military and into the growth of the American Economy...much of it was sent overseas to aid friendly allies.
With the money came the recomendations of American Financial Planners...Frameworks were set in place and this economy experienced great growth...Everybody made money in the international market...Russia, China...
As the 'Bubble grew...it became hollow...to keep it growing false practices were introduced...greed took over...
The American Financial Planners took the money and ran...Warren Buffet for one...What was he saying last year? 'Get Out!...and he did...Took his money and bought the biggest corporation in the world..

Could nobody hear him...We doctor with idiots...Greenspan and his understudy...

Yes, Pensions are lost to the advantage of the American Government...and the workers will be forced to work and offset any claim to Social Security...Who Won? Almost contrived...what better solution...work them to the grave and forget about retirement.

Globally? Social Programs will be put on the 'back burner...Clean Air will suffer...Sweatshop workers in the Pacific/China/others will make less money. Starvation/Food shortages will loom on the horizion...3rd world famines will be more prevelant.

The Domino's of this fiasco has just began to fall...

It began with corrupt practices in the U.S Congress...that legislation which prevented banks from demanding accountability began with a Bill to circumvent common safegards that had been in place for decades.

Blame can be fixed with this issue.

A money trail will lead directly to the criminals...

What we have in simple court jargon is called FRAUD...knowingly committed on a hundred/s billion dollar level.

We can hold these peope accountable for their actions...It's time to do so...

It's one thing to jerk the american economy around for political purposes in every election cycle, but when it reaches outside our borders it becomes an international issue.

Are there comments from anyone outside the USA?

Last edited by David Kennedy; 10-12-2008 at 01:26 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or