Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 08:49 AM

208 posts, read 476,334 times

Advertisements

Presidential candidate Sen. Barack Obama
http://worldnetdaily.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=77875

2008 WorldNetDaily
Obama believes women should register for draft
Also would consider opening combat positions to females

Posted: October 13, 2008
2:56 pm Eastern

2008 WorldNetDaily may not have drafted a woman to be his running mate, as his rival John McCain has, but he does believe that America's young women should be eligible for the draft and possibly combat duty.
"I think that if women are registered for service … I think it will help to send a message to my two daughters that they've got obligations to this great country as well as boys do," said Obama in a debate last year.
Obama's comments at the July 23, 2007, CNN/YouTube debate also suggested that while he doesn't support a draft and doesn't "necessarily" see women in combat roles, he does see restricting women from the battlefront as a breach of equality.
"There was a time when African-Americans weren't allowed to serve in combat," Obama replied when asked if women should register for Selective Service. "And yet, when they did, not only did they perform brilliantly, but what also happened is they helped to change America, and they helped to underscore that we're equal."
A recent interview of Wendy Morigi, Obama's national security spokeswoman, further confirmed that Obama would consider expanding the role of female soldiers in combat.
"Women are already serving in combat (in Iraq and , and the current policy should be updated to reflect realities on the ground," Morigi told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. "Barack Obama would consult with military commanders to review the constraints that remain."
Attached Thumbnails
Women should be eligible for the military draft-dgm-obamamilitary.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2008, 09:05 AM

3,454 posts, read 7,410,078 times
Hey, women's lib and all that. You have to take the bad with the good.

Contrary to popular belief, there's no such thing as selective equal rights. I want to be equal in this instance but not in that instance.

My only concern is women's ability to hold their own on the battlefield. It's a physical fact that women don't have the upper body strength, etc. that men do. If they can take care of business, though, I have no problem with it.

Old 10-14-2008, 09:13 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
The title uses a strange choice of words. "Eligible" for a compulsory, involuntary service? Like Sinners are eligible to go to Hell, or Gambians were eligible to be thrown in chains into slave ships, or Christians were eligible to be eaten by lions, of Jews were eligible to go to Dachau?

To use Obama's non-sequitur about blacks, there is a huge gulf of difference between being allowed to enter military service (as blacks were not then, but women are now) and being forced to under penalty of decades of imprisonment.

Old 10-14-2008, 09:24 AM

216 posts, read 290,584 times
There is still social inequality for women in America. Just because women have made progress in many areas, doesn't mean that the playing field is equal. I'm almost positive that every man in my office is earning more pay than I am. No shares their income, a highly guarded secret.

I disagree with women being drafted into the military, but for those who are willing and wanting to serve, they should be allowed to serve in combat.

Old 10-14-2008, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatinNJ View Post
There is still social inequality for women in America. Just because women have made progress in many areas, doesn't mean that the playing field is equal. I'm almost positive that every man in my office is earning more pay than I am. No shares their income, a highly guarded secret.

I disagree with women being drafted into the military, but for those who are willing and wanting to serve, they should be allowed to serve in combat.
We alrady have the problem of women in the quartermaster's corp handng out toothpast who are afraid to go to the latrine at night and suffereing kidney failure because of the frustrated 20-year-old testosterones that are raging all around them.

American women are afraid to make eye contact with 70-year-old men in the supermarket, and you think they ought to be doing night sentry duty in a foxhole next to Bubba with his cap on backwards?

Yes, some women can handle it. But the OP is about forcing women who can't.

Old 10-14-2008, 09:31 AM

144 posts, read 407,382 times
Quote:

This is is hypocrisy of the women's Lib, if we really want equality then we can't just fight for the "rosy" part of it all. Unfortunately, I think women have taken the movement too far, after all, there is a reason why we are 2 different genders and not an asexual species....

Old 10-14-2008, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
We alrady have the problem of women in the quartermaster's corp handng out toothpast who are afraid to go to the latrine at night and suffereing kidney failure because of the frustrated 20-year-old testosterones that are raging all around them.

American women are afraid to make eye contact with 70-year-old men in the supermarket, and you think they ought to be doing night sentry duty in a foxhole next to Bubba with his cap on backwards?

Yes, some women can handle it. But the OP is about forcing women who can't.
Just call me a coward, but I fully understand my limitations. This is not to say that I wouldn't do what it took to survive, but given a choice, my choice would be NO.

Old 10-14-2008, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Just call me a coward, but I fully understand my limitations. This is not to say that I wouldn't do what it took to survive, but given a choice, my choice would be NO.

I would never call anyone a coward if they are brave enough to stand up for principles that they believe in, and just say No.

Old 10-14-2008, 12:07 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,044,020 times
If men are eligible, then women should be too. Simply put. The draft should be across the board, regardless of race, sexuality, or gender.

Old 10-14-2008, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenSnow85 View Post
This is is hypocrisy of the women's Lib, if we really want equality then we can't just fight for the "rosy" part of it all. Unfortunately, I think women have taken the movement too far, after all, there is a reason why we are 2 different genders and not an asexual species....
As hypocritical as it may appear to you, not all women fought for women's rights, but benefited from it. As a woman, I do agree with the rights of women. But do really think that all women would have wanted equality if it included being drafted into the military? I agree that men and women are different in their capabilities.

I can't speak for all women
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies