Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 05:59 PM

5,041 posts, read 6,202,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
I hope McCain was never tortured as much as your logic.
Back up your statement. Your opinion isn't worth very much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2008, 05:59 PM

38,614 posts, read 26,270,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
Hmm, I think he said the same thing after Enron too.

An economy flush with cash from extremely low interest rates and rock-bottom tax rates is just ripe for bubbles. The chum was thrown in the water and then we wonder why we all ended up getting trashed by the sharks.

Quick someone raise interest rates and tax rates before it's too late!

Old 10-16-2008, 06:03 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,376,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
frontline: the wall street fix: mr. weill goes to washington: the long demise of glass-steagall | PBS
Re-Regulating Banks? (http://www.aier.org/research/commentaries/410-re-regulating-banks - broken link)

By 1987, in a 3-2 vote, the Federal Reserve Board gave its sanction to ending the Glass-Steagall divide. As it happened, one of the two dissenters was Paul Volcker, then Fed Chair. In his view, Glass-Steagall still served a useful function. (Indeed, after stepping down later that year, he would eventually be appointed to clean up the savings-and-loan mess of the late 1980s, itself a result in part of a botched approach to deregulation.)

In 1999, after the urge-to-merge CEOs of Citibank and the Travelers Insurance company had personally lobbied President Clinton, Glass-Steagall was formally, once-and-for-all repealed. This opened the door to “full-service” or “smorgasbord” or “one-stop” universal banks. (For a timeline of this sequence see the 2003 PBS Frontline piece, “The Long Demise of Glass-Steagall,” at their website.)

After 12 attempts in 25 years, Congress finally repeals Glass-Steagall, rewarding financial companies for more than 20 years and $300 million worth of lobbying efforts. Supporters hail the change as the long-overdue demise of a Depression-era relic.

Then we get to connect the dots. Not forgetting how long each person has been in their elected positions where they could or might have influence from lobbyist.

Lobbying Contributions | OpenSecrets
http://www.opensecrets.org/news/2008...d-freddie.html

Could not be more clear.

Old 10-16-2008, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
This is true. The repeal of Glass-Steagall has a lot to do with how we got here, and Clinton deserves blame for signing it. He shouldn't have. But it was still a CONSERVATIVE effort that he went along with.

That's why I say it isn't a GOP failure, or a Democratic failure. It's a CONSERVATIVE failure.
Yeah, that Maxine Waters and Barney Frank sure are right wing loons!

Old 10-16-2008, 06:08 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,376,565 times
The top 10 are tied with 5-5 ratio not counting the amount of money each got or comparing that.

On Sunday the government completely took over the two government-sponsored enterprises, and we've returned to our data to bring you the updates, this time providing a list of all 354 lawmakers who have gotten money from Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac (in July we posted the top 25). These totals are based on data released electronically from the FEC on Sept. 2 and include contributions to lawmakers' leadership PACs and candidate committees from the floundering companies' PACs and employees. Current members of Congress have received a total of $4.8 million from Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, with Democrats collecting 57 percent of that. This week we also wrote about how much money lawmakers had invested of their own money in the companies last year--a total of up to $1.7 million.

Mise well say split down the middle.

Old 10-16-2008, 06:11 PM

5,041 posts, read 6,202,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Yeah, that Maxine Waters and Barney Frank sure are right wing loons!
You are aware that there is significant overlap between the political parties and philosophy? That someone can be a Democrat and a fiscal conservative? Or a Republican and a social liberal? You've heard of that before?

Still waiting for you to back up your earlier statement. Or are you just a drive-by sniper with nothing to contribute other than snark?

Old 10-16-2008, 06:49 PM

5,696 posts, read 6,192,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erma View Post
Most of us know the truth, but many are suckered into believing something else. Just the other day, a woman for the Obama campaign came to our door. When we mentioned the crisis, she went on a tangent saying that people who lost their homes are at fault. What? Oh okay, so losing your job, being activated to war duty and losing your job and home is their fault? Well, I was able to see first hand the mind set of this supporter. I was not pleased.

BINGO
they are nuttier than a fruitcake
and meaner than a rattle snake.
No offence to rattle snakes

Old 10-16-2008, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
This is true. The repeal of Glass-Steagall has a lot to do with how we got here, and Clinton deserves blame for signing it. He shouldn't have. But it was still a CONSERVATIVE effort that he went along with.

That's why I say it isn't a GOP failure, or a Democratic failure. It's a CONSERVATIVE failure.
So if I apply your logic to the Kennedy assassination, it's not really Oswald's fault he was assassinated. It was the fault of the pilot of Air Force One who landed in Dallas that day because it was a transportation issue, right?

Old 10-16-2008, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
Adjustable rate mortgages had nothing to do with the current crisis? How strange that you don't think that this has anything to do with things. Though I don't necessarily agree in toto with what the person at the door said, I think you've cherry-picked your causes.
I guess people are, as usual, seeing more than is really there. My point was that before the train went over the cliff, some in the White House, congress and the senate were sounding the alarm. Others chose to willfully ignore that alarm due to a conflict of interest with the public.

Old 10-16-2008, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
Of course not!

It must have been Bill Clinton. Or Ted Kennedy.

Oh! I know! It was Dennis Kucinich who really caused the mess.

Those rotten democrats! Forcing the Dubya administration to bend to their will.
I thought Johnny Cocrain was dead. GWB?

Link? Quote? Proof?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies