Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many guns do you keep at home for personal use?
More than 20 19 14.29%
Between 10 and 20 10 7.52%
Between 1 and 10 54 40.60%
None 50 37.59%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 09:43 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,936,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
I hope I never need to use one, but it's there if I do need to.
I have a car with a speedometer that goes up to 140. I hope I never need to drive that fast, but it's there if I ever NEED it, and it gives me a certain inner manly thrill to feel that power.

You have confirmed exactly my point. You do not have a gun because of a prospective need, but only because you just like having them. You rationalize a hypothetical but never realized need for them, but there really isn't any need, is there? You just want the gratificaion of feeling and smelling and hearing and hefting and stroking your guns. What is the most frequently-used word that a gun enthisiast uses to describe a gun? "BEAUTIFUL". What does that tell you? It's a sex object.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
There's a lot of hunting going on where you live.
That does not fill me with a sense of security.

Last edited by jtur88; 10-17-2008 at 09:57 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2008, 09:44 AM

5,012 posts, read 7,870,090 times
Just two right now, but I'm going to double up during Christmas.

20 gauge remington semi auto (my dove and quail gun)
.270 remington bolt action (deer gun)

Christmas
.22 semi auto rifle (will purchase a couple 30 round clips to go with it)
12 gauge (something that'll shoot 3.5 inch shells for turkey, geese, duck)

Future purchases
A revolver (.357?)
A semi auto pistol
some kind of assault rifle
sawn off double barrell

Old 10-17-2008, 09:46 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,560,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
Just a quick poll for those who post and read this forum.
No guns, why would I need them? Having a gun doesn't solve anything.

Old 10-17-2008, 09:55 AM

3,454 posts, read 7,408,173 times
Seldom does having a gun "solve anything". But on those few occasions, it's kind of a black-and-white thing. Those who find themselves in that situation are either really glad they're armed, or really wish they were.

But you're right; the simple possession of a gun only serves as peace of mind. (And entertainment and investment value, for many).

Until "that moment" comes.

Old 10-17-2008, 10:00 AM

23,856 posts, read 24,096,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I have a car with a speedometer that goes up to 140. I hope I never need to drive that fast, but it's there if I ever NEED it, and it gives me a certain inner manly thrill to feel that power.

You have confirmed exactly my point. You do not have a gun because of a prospective need, but only because you just like having them. You rationalize a hypothetical but never realized need for them, but there really isn't any need, is there? You just want the gratificaion of feeling and smelling and hearing and hefting and stroking your guns. What is the most frequently-used word that a gun enthisiast uses to describe a gun? "BEAUTIFUL". What does that tell you? It's a sex object.
Sex object? LOL.

Quote:
You do not have a gun because of a prospective need, but only because you just like having them.
Every person has a prospective need for a tool to defend themselves from either an attacking criminal or a tyrannical government. The 2nd Amendment guarantees each citizen the right to choose for themselves whether or not to keep and bear arms. You have apparently chosen not to, and that's your right, and I respect your choice. I have chosen to exercise that right, and your belittling of that decision demonstrates your ignorance of the reason we have that right in the first place.

Old 10-17-2008, 10:05 AM

6,218 posts, read 7,726,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Where do you people live, that you have to turn your house into an armed fortress? I've lived in 14 states, and never felt any need to own a gun. How lucky do you have to be to go to 14 different places, and never hit a single one where you need to defend yourself with a gun. The odds must be astronomical.

I have never known one single person who had a gun because he needed one, but did not like guns and did not want to own one. Doesn't that seen a little bit odd?

I get a feeling that the people who love guns all need them, but people who don't love guns don't need them at all. It's almost enough to make me feel like nobody really needs a gun. Like coffee. Nobody needs coffee except people who love coffee. .

Well, many of us DO NOT live in Victoria, Tx, that appears to be a relatively small to midish size town(only judging by a quick search on Google maps). It's a different world today than it was even twenty years ago. When I was in high school, in a town similar to Victoria, but just outside of Detroit, 30 years ago, weapons in school was front page headline news, IF it ever happened at all. I live in a very similar city now, no where near a large urban area comparable to Detroit, or Houston, or Tampa...and guns, knives are a very real, everyday sort of thing, not just in schools, but around almost every corner you turn. Look closer around Victoria, you MAY find the same is true.
I abhor guns, and violence. Want nothing to do with either. That doesnt change the fact that I may have to defend myself at some point. Earlier this year, for the first time in my life I got a gun. Nothing big, and I frankly rarely even take it out of the house, even though I have a CCW, and could legally carry it almost every where I go. I had the same mindset you have, a year ago. After having my eyes opened to how many guns are around me, and the character and age of those carrying them, everytime I leave my front door, on a daily basis, I've changed my attitude.
Do I have a gun? YES
Do I "love" my gun? NO
Am I looking for an excuse to use my gun? NEVER
Would I use my gun to defend myself? Most would simply answer YES, I would say, I sincerely hope I never have to find out. Odds are pretty good, I wont have too.The next to last thing I would ever want to do is take some(any)one's life. The last thing I would want to do, is ALLOW someone to take mine, without having had a chance to do something about it. There's a very fine line in there somewhere....

Old 10-17-2008, 10:06 AM

3,454 posts, read 7,408,173 times
And what exactly is the problem with people having guns because they like having them?

Old 10-17-2008, 10:08 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,411,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Movie Lover View Post
Like they always say, "America loves its guns". Biggest gun nuts in the world. Got a problem - go for the gun, Having an arguement - go for the gun, Wife nagging you to death - go for the gun.

Its all about guns with you lot over the pond. Can't you settle anything without your piece?

Oh and I almost forgot - when the riots start and you reach for your gun, just remember one thing: The looters will also be armed - protection from YOU.
America loves melodramatic idiocy too.

Old 10-17-2008, 10:08 AM

20,326 posts, read 19,912,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
.....Sex object? LOL..
That had me scratching my head.

I think mountain sunsets, autumn leaves and the sound of a screaming 12 cylinder engine are beautiful but they don't make me horny.

Old 10-17-2008, 10:11 AM

20,326 posts, read 19,912,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Movie Lover View Post
...... I think you may find that AMERICAN CITIZENS OWNING GUNS OUTNUMBERS THE NUMBER OF WEAPONS THAT THE AMERICAN MILITARY POSESSESS.

That's the plan. Our founding fathers had no problem with that notion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies