Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many guns do you keep at home for personal use?
More than 20 19 14.29%
Between 10 and 20 10 7.52%
Between 1 and 10 54 40.60%
None 50 37.59%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 10:11 AM

5,232 posts, read 8,396,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Movie Lover View Post
Its only a right because its in the Constitution. Here in the UK, I would get a minimum five years. There has been more gun related murder in the US, but they are still owned. The law is farcial, and so are the laws which help cause this Credit Crunch, which I'm not sorry to say, has pissed all over the world.

Sorry, its a right in your country as well. You people just let that right get ignored. We inherited it from you. Funny thing is the only reason you are free, if you can call it that, is because the commoners had arms. One day you will cry the blues & wish you could take your country back. Course the US willsave your sorry ass,,,, again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2008, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Movie Lover View Post
Its the same principal: Gang A owns guns, so Gang B has to own them too.

The next door neighbour has one or two, so you have to have the same or more. I think you may find that AMERICAN CITIZENS OWNING GUNS OUTNUMBERS THE NUMBER OF WEAPONS THAT THE AMERICAN MILITARY POSESSESS.

As it should.

Old 10-17-2008, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
No guns, why would I need them? Having a gun doesn't solve anything.

Not until you need it.

People are very foolish if they think the only reason to own a gun is for protection.
It is a compelling reason but not the only one. I'd venture a guess that most guns are used for recreation. Need dont matter. People dont need to ski, skiing kills more people by far that guns in law abiding hands, probably in criminal hands as well. Pools dwarf guns for killing people. If folks cared about saving lives theres many more productive things to ban than guns. Add to that the fact that guns save lives too, which virtually no other recreational thing does. Its an olympic sport too.

Old 10-17-2008, 10:17 AM

558 posts, read 817,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I don't know of any people, animals or road signs that need to be shot.
Kim Jong-Il needs to be shot. The predators prowling our streets and neighborhoods need to be shot (whether or not they're armed).

What follows is a very personal story. And I feel uncomfortable posting it, but I believe an important point needs to be made.

When we were children, my brother and I lived in a very poor, dangerous part of the city for a few years. For this reason, unbeknownst to my parents, I had swiped one of my fathers largest pocket knives, which I used to carry with me to my friend's house. On these treks I always walked at a brisk pace with my eyes wide open while holding the knife in a reverse grip, its blade drawn and tucked under my sleeve, point and edge away from my body. I did it because I had learned the hard way (i.e. from defending myself and my younger brother from the neighborhood bullies on many occasions) that there was no way I could have effectively fought off a grown man—someone much bigger and stronger than me at the time—had the need to defend our lives arisen. I might not have fared well against an adult even with the knife, but it certainly would have helped to level the playing field, and with a little luck might have worked. Anyway, I was the more reflective and observant of the two of us while my brother was the happy-go-lucky one. Right or wrong, I always considered it a fault of his not to be more guarded around people. For that reason, whenever he wanted to go up the road I almost always made sure I went with him. These walks were a common occurrence, as we had a friend who lived in a small trailer park about a half a mile up the road whom my brother and I would visit once or twice a week.

Well, one morning, after having spent the night at our friend's house, my brother wanted to leave early so he wouldn't be late for church. We got into an argument about it that resulted in him walking off alone. (This was perhaps one of the worst decisions I ever made in my life.) On the way home a stranger pulled up in a car and told him to hop in, that he'd give him a ride. My brother, trusting though he was, wasn’t stupid, so he kept walking and told the man he was fine. The guy kept pace with him and proceeded to explain (lying) that our father was upset and looking for us and that it would be in my brother's best interest to hop in the car. My brother, while quickening his pace, told the man that he was almost home and would be there soon enough. At this point the guy quickly pulled the car off the road trying to block him, opened the door and jumped out after him. Joey escaped his grasp by inches and managed to run toward home at an all out sprint. While he was running the man had jumped back into his car, raced down the road after my brother and tried to cut him off yet again. This time though my brother slipped by and veered off into our little neighborhood at which point the man apparently thought better of his chances, turned and drove off.

Now I know this turned out ok for my brother, so maybe it doesn't matter, but I've lost many hours of sleep thinking about the fact that I wasn't there that day to stab that man mercilessly so my little brother could have escaped unimpeded. I’ve lain awake some nights thinking about what could have happened to him and even what my own life would have been like without Joey around. As I'm writing this I'm tearing up just thinking about how many children may have suffered at that man's hands. Maybe you think I’m a bad or cold-hearted person for saying this—maybe I am—but if I knew who that predator was or where he lived today, there is no doubt in my mind that I'd take his life.

Jtur88, you sound like a level-headed man, but make no mistake about it: there are people who need to be shot.

Not only do I believe some people need to be shot, I firmly support our right to bear arms.

Old 10-17-2008, 10:27 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,464,800 times
Never owned a gun, still alive.

Old 10-17-2008, 10:35 AM

558 posts, read 817,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostInTheShell View Post
Kim Jong-Il needs to be shot. The predators prowling our streets and neighborhoods need to be shot (whether or not they're armed).
...but make no mistake about it: there are people who need to be shot.

Not only do I believe some people need to be shot, I firmly support our right to bear arms.
And before anyone runs away with this, I'm not advocating vigilanteism. I'm simply saying that there are bad people in the world who do terrible things and that owning a handgun or rifle--and having the skill to use it--may help level the playing field under certain circumstances, even when the aggressors are armed.

Also, as has been said time and again, the 2nd amendment exists mainly to leave open the option for armed insurrection should the need ever arise.

Old 10-17-2008, 10:35 AM

54,485 posts, read 33,816,607 times
14 - 10 long guns (9 rifles and 1 shotgun) and 4 handguns, 2 semi-autos, and 2 revolvers.

All but one are locked up in a very heavy fireproof safe that's also secured to the concrete foundation of my house.

Old 10-17-2008, 10:40 AM

18,151 posts, read 15,578,521 times
I own a few firearms of various configurations. I have had to defend myself from both two and four legged predators. It's not something I enjoyed and I wasn't out looking for trouble but it found me nevertheless. Rather have them and not need them than need them and not have them.

Old 10-17-2008, 11:22 AM

27,290 posts, read 27,346,036 times
We dont have guns here nor will we ever. Having one might have its pros and cons, there are other forms of weapons, if needed, one can use.

Old 10-17-2008, 11:35 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,200,144 times
We have 8 - of various types.

I've had the occasion to use one for protection in the past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies