Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many guns do you keep at home for personal use?
More than 20 19 14.29%
Between 10 and 20 10 7.52%
Between 1 and 10 54 40.60%
None 50 37.59%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2008, 12:15 PM

9,059 posts, read 12,967,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stycotl View Post
and for the rest of the time, there is the ignore button, which with the website changes, i can't seem to find anymore...

as far as the post where kramer (could be someone else, but i think it was him) said that he would defend his home without guns, that's great. more power to you. for the most part, you will do well. kids and dogs don't generally need to have a rifle or a pistol in their face in order to be persuaded to back off. in fact, with dogs, rocks almost always work.

but when your private property is violated in the middle of the night by two or three men wielding guns of their own, you would be grateful for any weapon that you had on you, but the baseball bat, the pepper spray, and more often than i'd like to admit, even the home burglary alarm and the twenty-minutes-too-late police* just won't cut it (*note that this is not inherently the fault of the police, as the time it takes for you or the security company to contact the police is pretty often as long as the intruders are on your property; not to mention the time it takes for them to get to the scene).

if you make the personal decision to defend your own home with whatever knife-throwing, bo staff-fighting, way-of-the-samurai skills you might happen to be master of, that really is fine--no one here is going to try to tell you that you need to change (and if they do, then they are as wrong as they are proclaiming you to be). but that does not mean that you can expect others to be beholden to your decision. nor does it make your system inherently more valuable or ethical, except in your own eyes. your system might work for you; my system might work for me--and as much as some of us might be unwilling to admit it, neither system has to be wrong.

next, as far as the lame generalizations of gun owners as sociopathic, historically violent, criminally minded individuals, when are we going to grow up past that third grade 'neener-neener' mentality? the majority of red necks that i know (and i've spent 4 years in the usmc infantry, so i know quite a few), are the responsible, educated gun owners, who have gone to great lengths to make sure that their weapons are maintained, secure, and properly used, and whose children are taught from a very young age how to utilize and respect the weapons. we should only be so lucky as to have more gun owners like those that some of you people seem so quick to insult and denigrate.

for an example of what not to do, look to the great senator feinstein:

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y215/jbombelli/feinsteinAK47.jpg (broken link)

as far as safety rules go, she's disobeying almost all of them.

1) Treat every weapon as if it were loaded--obviously not.

2) Never point a weapon at anything you do not intend to shoot--unless there is a large part in the crowd off-screen, and an actual target beyond it, she fails again.

3) Keep trigger finger straight and off the trigger until you are ready to fire--try again, lady.

4) Keep weapon on safe until you intend to fire--i can't tell from here, but so far she's 1/4, which, in case any of you are wondering, is not a very good score.

5) Know your target and what lies beyond it--certainly doesn't seem that way to me.

1/5 for the safety rules (and we only allow her that by default since we can't actually see the safety). maybe if she would educate herself on the use of a firearm, she'd know better what their capabilities are, and what weapons are actually a common threat to the public. in fact, with a little brain matter and some hunter's saftey, she might just avoid shooting her buddy in the chest a la bushstooge--ahem...i meant to say, cheney.
Of course, she had to put a high capacity drum mag in for a dramatic effect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2008, 12:29 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,721,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
An underfolder and a saiga? If that is indeed a saiga, it's just begging to be converted

Have you fired an AMD-65? Love the fireball courtesy of the evil looking muzzle brake!
Norinco AK84s1
DPMS AR15
Berreta 38a semi (built it myself)
Norinco SKS
K98
K43

Haven' fired the AMD but that old K43 belchs fire!!!(yea thats me)

YouTube - Screw gun control

Old 10-20-2008, 12:35 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,453,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViewFromThePeak View Post
Of course, she had to put a high capacity drum mag in for a dramatic effect.
that way, when her finger *accidentally* slipped and the trigger depressed, not just one or two innocent bystanders would die to make her point, but the entire crowd. maybe that sacrifice was assumed direly needed in order to get the danger that is the rest of us responsible, educated, experienced gun-users out of the country.

Old 10-20-2008, 12:42 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
I think if that think went bang she would be more suprised than anyone in the room. I find this sort of ignorance unfathomable and intolerable. Lady, be careful with that thing!

Old 10-20-2008, 01:08 PM

3,454 posts, read 7,407,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stycotl View Post
and for the rest of the time, there is the ignore button, which with the website changes, i can't seem to find anymore...
I don't think this has been answered...I don't believe there's a button anymore. If you go to "my settings" (upper left) and then to "Edit Ignore list" (on the left hand list about halfway down) you can enter the user name you'd like to ignore.

Turns 'em into nothing but an annoying little buzz; like a mosquito.

It's kind of fun--you know they're saying something but can't quite tell what. And it's probably just as well!

Old 10-20-2008, 01:12 PM

too true. and unfortunately, too needed.

Old 10-20-2008, 03:14 PM

13,601 posts, read 21,385,992 times
Regarding Feinstein ,politicians like her and celebrities who champion and demand that everybody "turn them in" yet own or use bodyguards with the same weapons that they think everyone else shoudn't be allowed to own,thoughts on that?I have but one thought,elitist hypocrites.

Old 10-20-2008, 03:29 PM

23,850 posts, read 24,091,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian08 View Post
Guns are tools of death.
That's odd. Nothing has ever died as a result of one of my guns being fired.

I can't say the same thing about my hammer or the bottle of pesticide in my garage, though. Maybe we should outlaw those, instead.

Old 10-20-2008, 03:45 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,458,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
That's odd. Nothing has ever died as a result of one of my guns being fired.

Specious reasoning. Same thing can be said about the hydrogen bomb!

Old 10-20-2008, 05:23 PM

or cars, marbles, balloons, condoms, refrigerators, vacuum cleaners, nose hair trimmers, and ice cream cones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies