U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-18-2008, 05:45 PM
 
Location: Neptune Beach, FL
1,145 posts, read 1,716,844 times
Reputation: 492

Advertisements

Ask yourself a question....if Democratic policies are going to be so great for the country, wouldn't they already be great for the States that have implemented them already?

The following chart is sorted by GDP Growth on a State by State basis. Is it simply a coincidence that the majority of the States that have the highest growth are Republican States, and the States doing the worst are primarily Democratic? Or, is it that there policies are working, and since Democratic economic policies tend to create a lot of joblessness and lower standards of living (a fact, not an insult)?

I would really like, if possible, to see some intelligent rebuttles to this.

Gross Domestic Product by State - sorted by 2000-2005 GDP Per Capita Growth
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-18-2008, 06:06 PM
 
Location: Neptune Beach, FL
1,145 posts, read 1,716,844 times
Reputation: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakenStirred View Post
Ask yourself a question....if Democratic policies are going to be so great for the country, wouldn't they already be great for the States that have implemented them already?

The following chart is sorted by GDP Growth on a State by State basis. Is it simply a coincidence that the majority of the States that have the highest growth are Republican States, and the States doing the worst are primarily Democratic? Or, is it that there policies are working, and since Democratic economic policies tend to create a lot of joblessness and lower standards of living (a fact, not an insult)?

I would really like, if possible, to see some intelligent rebuttles to this.

Gross Domestic Product by State - sorted by 2000-2005 GDP Per Capita Growth

Ahhh yes...here I am again answering my own post, since no one on this forum really wants to debate specific issues.

Answer anyone........anyone........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2008, 06:13 PM
 
1,613 posts, read 1,642,731 times
Reputation: 477
LOL. I think you better take a look again, you had it sort by GDP growth percentage, not by the GDP output. They all show growth from 2000 to 2005, some of them grew more than others, but the red states are still a long long way from ever overtaking blue states' GDP.

Your argument is like you make $30 and now make $60, a 100% increase, while others make $100 but now make $150, therefore you are doing better.
Gross Domestic Product by State - sorted by 2005 GDP Per Capita
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2008, 06:14 PM
 
Location: Iowa, Heartland of Murica
3,195 posts, read 3,305,541 times
Reputation: 3061
This has absolutely NOTHING to do with a state being Red or Blue, as you can see, the top 4 states: Wyoming, North Dakota, Alaska and Montana are going through a "boom" now because of energy related industries and due to its low populations, obviously their GDP per capita will be heavily influenced. Economically speaking, the East Coast and the West Coast, both mostly liberal areas carry the rest of the country in terms of GDP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2008, 06:15 PM
 
Location: USA
4,983 posts, read 5,317,232 times
Reputation: 2506
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakenStirred View Post
Ask yourself a question....if Democratic policies are going to be so great for the country, wouldn't they already be great for the States that have implemented them already?

The following chart is sorted by GDP Growth on a State by State basis. Is it simply a coincidence that the majority of the States that have the highest growth are Republican States, and the States doing the worst are primarily Democratic? Or, is it that there policies are working, and since Democratic economic policies tend to create a lot of joblessness and lower standards of living (a fact, not an insult)?

I would really like, if possible, to see some intelligent rebuttles to this.

Gross Domestic Product by State - sorted by 2000-2005 GDP Per Capita Growth

Come on, you know it doesn't work this way!
How simplistic....

A state may have Dems in office, but the companies that offshore and outsource do it despite who is in office.
There are no policies about companies leaving the US and employing foreign workers vs. Americans.

Okay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2008, 06:17 PM
 
171 posts, read 94,731 times
Reputation: 58
No, it is a simple matter of percentage growth. the most backward, undeveloped states would draw a higher percentage point for almost any growth at all. it would be very hard for say, california, to show any growth above , even 3 percent per year. it shows about 17 perc for the 5 year period. we are also talking per capita growth, another way of watering the statistic since it now includes population to the mix.. Similar case goes for China. once it s growth has levelled to a higher perc, it wont show the same figures it now does. it would be really difficult.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2008, 06:18 PM
 
1,535 posts, read 1,243,683 times
Reputation: 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakenStirred View Post
Ask yourself a question....if Democratic policies are going to be so great for the country, wouldn't they already be great for the States that have implemented them already?

Ah, if political economy were as easy as cutting an pasting a few numbers, mixing and matching them in an attempt to prove causality, we could all have PHD's in economics.

I'll love to get back to this after the wife and I return from watching W.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2013, 09:05 PM
 
1 posts, read 1,183 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakenStirred View Post
Ask yourself a question....if Democratic policies are going to be so great for the country, wouldn't they already be great for the States that have implemented them already?

The following chart is sorted by GDP Growth on a State by State basis. Is it simply a coincidence that the majority of the States that have the highest growth are Republican States, and the States doing the worst are primarily Democratic? Or, is it that there policies are working, and since Democratic economic policies tend to create a lot of joblessness and lower standards of living (a fact, not an insult)?

I would really like, if possible, to see some intelligent rebuttles to this.

[url=http://www.economics-charts.com/gdp/GDP-Per-Capita-by-gpc-growth.html]Gross Domestic Product by State - sorted by 2000-2005 GDP Per Capita Growth[/url]

It is indeed an opinion not a fact, look at the GDP per capita by state Liberal states have much higher gdp per capitas than conservative states. So yeah you are flat out lying. China has a high gdp growth rate, simply because they are a growing country, US as a whole have a low growth rate because we are a fully employed economy.

To put it in layman's terms, it is easy to convert a company that makes $100 in revenue to $1000 (100% increase) but it is hard to convert a company that makes $1 billion dollars in revenue to a $10 billion dollar company. If you cant understand that you really are not qualified to talk economics .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2013, 09:26 PM
Status: "Writing" (set 14 days ago)
 
Location: Lake Superior
2,535 posts, read 933,985 times
Reputation: 6035
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakenStirred View Post
Ask yourself a question....if Democratic policies are going to be so great for the country, wouldn't they already be great for the States that have implemented them already?

The following chart is sorted by GDP Growth on a State by State basis. Is it simply a coincidence that the majority of the States that have the highest growth are Republican States, and the States doing the worst are primarily Democratic? Or, is it that there policies are working, and since Democratic economic policies tend to create a lot of joblessness and lower standards of living (a fact, not an insult)?

I would really like, if possible, to see some intelligent rebuttles to this.

Gross Domestic Product by State - sorted by 2000-2005 GDP Per Capita Growth
Hilarious!

The OP posts a link of state GDPs showing that the high end of the list is more blue than red (d'oh!), bragging that red state GDPs are growing faster (oblivious to the fact that growth rate is always highest amongst those lagging well behind - in the same way that a 'D student' can improve their GPA a lot more in a given interval than can a 'B student'). Said poster then waits a mere 21 minutes before gloating that no one had yet dared to reply. Poster then receives five replies in 12 minutes - and just after sneering that no one was daring to reply, he then runs away, never to be heard from again.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-13-2013, 11:01 AM
 
994 posts, read 490,262 times
Reputation: 1934
Looks to me like you're paraphrasing a notion that's been making the rounds in the press this year.

So, I'll just link you to two interesting articles. One is a rebuttal, and the second is a closer look at the report you're talking about:

No, Red States Are Not Better Than Blue States by Froma Harrop on Creators.com - A Syndicate Of Talent

'Rich States, Poor States,' Red States, Blue States | Eye on ALEC, What Matters Today | BillMoyers.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top