Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 10:31 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,798,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
So, can I assume that you don't mind a CEO getting a big fat bonus after he/she ran a company into the ground enough for the government to bail them out?
No, it's none of my business. Your assumption is correct. My problem is with the government bailing out the business. It's not a function of the government to do this. Moreover, it is the business of the stakeholders of the company that vote for or con when it comes to CEO compensation. The CEO is not going into the board meeting with a gun and a ski mask.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2008, 10:32 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,798,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
I don't care what they do w/their money either, it is ADMIRABLE if they (meaning actors AND ceo's) actually help others who are less fortunate. You don't think that's admirable?
I think it's admirable, and especially so when the donor does not feel the need to make disclosure on the donation. Character is doing the right thing when others aren't paying attention.

Old 10-22-2008, 10:35 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,319,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
So, can I assume that you don't mind a CEO getting a big fat bonus after he/she ran a company into the ground enough for the government to bail them out?
That is not the question asked in this thread. It is" I do have a serious question for those who seemed just disgusted about what CEO's of companies make. Do you feel the same about actor/actresses and sports people? I mean, some of these people are making 20 million PER FILM. "

You didn't say CEO's of federally funded companies who have golden parachutes that are now defunct.
You also asked about actors and actresses and sports people.
Again, you sound like you are just begrudging other peoples money they have earned because you don't earn as much.
Are you suggesting that a factory line worker or McDonald's burger flipper should make as much as a CEO and held just as accountable for their businesses failings? Or are you suggesting that a CEO have the same qualifications as a burger flipper and get paid the same amount?

Old 10-22-2008, 10:36 AM

5,407 posts, read 7,794,317 times
I don't hate them, sure I would accept the money too. I do believe the majority make way more than what they actually are worth to their companies, if you are talking about multinational corporations. There are a few exceptions who are visionaries and actually turn companies around. The poster who talked about CEOs who run their companies into the ground and then bail with a golden parachute makes a great point too.

I think that athletes and Hollywood stars earn way more than what they actually contribute to society too, but I don't hate them for it. I do feel it is unfortunate that it is too expensive for families to go to sporting events any more and almost too expensive for families to go to a movie anymore, throw in popocorn and a drink.

Old 10-22-2008, 10:37 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,564,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
I think it's admirable, and especially so when the donor does not feel the need to make disclosure on the donation. Character is doing the right thing when others aren't paying attention.
I agree, there's plenty of people out there who quietly make donations. But I guess I don't care if they do it quietly or yell it out loud, at least they're doing it.

Old 10-22-2008, 10:38 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammy5 View Post
I do have a serious question for those who seemed just disgusted about what CEO's of companies make. Do you feel the same about actor/actresses and sports people? I mean, some of these people are making 20 million PER FILM.

Kristine

It's not so much what CEOs make that's annoyong as it is what some CEOs walk away with after running a company into the ground. You won't see actors/actresses continually making big $$$ unless their movies make big $$$, unlike a former executive of AIG who ran the company stock down 40% before walking away with $68M.

Old 10-22-2008, 10:39 AM

959 posts, read 1,824,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
It's not so much what CEOs make that's annoyong as it is what some CEOs walk away with after running a company into the ground. You won't see actors/actresses continually making big $$$ unless their movies make big $$$, unlike a former executive of AIG who ran the company stock down 40% before walking away with $68M.

I agree, but those are not the CEO's that I am talking about. I am talking about your run of the mill CEO. It just seems like there is such outgrage for any and all CEO's just because they hold that title.

Kristine

Old 10-22-2008, 10:41 AM

959 posts, read 1,824,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertsun41 View Post
And you dont work yours off?

I know for a fact you work harder then the CEO next to you. The difference is he makes a million dollars an hour and you make some pittance under $15/hr.

Yea....Im bitter.

Oh yea....I forgot. If you make one measly mistake, your fired. If your CEO friend ruins the company, causes the company to go under, gets hundreds of workers layed off, loses millions for the stock holders he is responsible for and in the end leaves another foreclosed empty building on the citys tax rolls......then he gets a hundred million dollar bonus.

Yea....Im bitter.
Oh, and FYI - my boss and the CEO this company used to work in the mailroom of the company he now owns while he was in college getting his MBA. Now THAT is the American dream and how life should be. He earns every cent he makes IMO.

Kristine

Old 10-22-2008, 10:57 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
I agree, but those are not the CEO's that I am talking about. I am talking about your run of the mill CEO. It just seems like there is such outgrage for any and all CEO's just because they hold that title.

Kristine

At least part of the outrage stems from management's hypocrisy. When United Air Lines came out of bankruptcy management asked for and received givebacks from the pilots' union, citing dire economic circumstances, and promptly voted themselves bonuses.

And much stems from the rewarding of jobs poorly done. Very few workers would keep their jobs, let alone receive bonuses if they performed as poorly as some very well compensated CEOs have. Performance should be rewarded, not seat time.

Old 10-22-2008, 11:02 AM

1 posts, read 1,095 times
Quote:
I do have a serious question for those who seemed just disgusted about what CEO's of companies make. Do you feel the same about actor/actresses and sports people? I mean, some of these people are making 20 million PER FILM.

Kristine
Some rich dude hit the nail on the head in his book. This is a scale issue for music and theater and sports. Not so for CEO's. I forget his name- but its in the store. Actors, therefore, are not to be compared with CEO's.

CEO's, not at all like actors, have created an oligarchical market for themselves which does not take virtue into account. CEO's did this because they could manipulate the system. You might be capable of running GE much better- but that has nothing, nothing to do with who gets the job.

An actor lives, eats, and breathes his craft. And must hold virtue else his market bends. Can't act and don't sell you get fired. Don't expect to get work if can't play a les Paul, nobody will play for you. But for the CEO, this is not so.

CEO's would like to beleive they are different than the worker. They've soemhow made it out of the general system. They'd love nothing more than to pull completely away from the society that built them. Actors do not wish this- indeed they, while annoyed greatly at times, still live amost the people when they can.

One group is in need of severe reality check. Guess which...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies