Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 04:57 PM

8,488 posts, read 20,574,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK2Westchester View Post
whats useless is thinking more oil will fix our energy problems in the long run.
Where did I say that it is a long haul solution?

On the other hand if there was not such a resistance to drilling years back we would not be in as bad of shape as we are right now.

I am for alternative sources of energy. I have actually been working with a friend to find funding for his engine that runs on water. You would think this would be easy to find some funding for but it is not and he has a working model set up on his lawn mower that he cuts his grass with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2008, 05:14 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,157,625 times
(looks left, looks right... shifting eyes)

pssssssssst, hey buddy....

you know what this is! This is a plot by the evil terrorist to force a weakening economy in order to push more American voters towards Obama. Yes, I said, it is a global plot by a Muslim cartel to take over the world with the help of Obama!

But don't tell anyone because it is a secret!

Personally I hope they raise the price per barrel to 250 bucks. Forcing a lackadaisical US government into accelerating its development new energy technologies as it should be. There by in the long run leading the world by its technological achievement while at the same time achieving greater national security by no longer being beholden to the most hostile area of the world for its most critical piece of infrastructure. I'm willing to suffer a little more today to have an easier tomorrow for me and future generations.

Old 10-22-2008, 05:21 PM

3,219 posts, read 6,565,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
(looks left, looks right... shifting eyes)

pssssssssst, hey buddy....

Personally I hope they raise the price per barrel to 250 bucks. Forcing a lackadaisical US government into accelerating its development new energy technologies as it should be. There by in the long run leading the world by its technological achievement while at the same time achieving greater national security by no longer being beholden to the most hostile area of the world for its most critical piece of infrastructure. I'm willing to suffer a little more today to have an easier tomorrow for me and future generations.
IMO: You got a legitimate statement there.

Old 10-22-2008, 05:33 PM

1,535 posts, read 2,056,925 times
[quote=brokerdave;5808183]lol who? i have heard the EXACT OPPOSITE from everyone, lol.[/url]

Why do I think that your idea of "everyone" is more than a bit limited.

Life According to the Energy Information Administration

"At the present time, there has been no crude oil production in the ANWR coastal plain region. This analysis assumes that enactment of the legislation in 2008 would result in first production from the ANWR area in 10 years, i.e., 2018."

"Potential production from ANWR fields is based on the size of the field discovered and the production profiles of other fields of the same size in Alaska with similar geological characteristics. In general, fields are assumed to take 3 to 4 years to reach peak production, maintain peak production for 3 to 4 years, and then decline until they are no longer profitable and are closed. Identical production profiles were used in the prior EIA report."

EIA - Analysis of Crude Oil Production in the Arctic National Wildlife Refuge - Methodology and Assumptions

"The projections in the OCS (OUter Continental Shelf) access case indicate that access to the Pacific, Atlantic, and eastern Gulf regions would not have a significant impact on domestic crude oil and natural gas production or prices before 2030. Leasing would begin no sooner than 2012, and production would not be expected to start before 2017."

EIA - Impacts of Increased Access to Oil and Natural Gas Resources in the Lower 48 Federal Outer Continental Shelf

Old 10-22-2008, 05:34 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,561,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
I agree somewhat on OPEC, however you are wrong about the stations not making much money on gasoline. If they only make a couple pennies per gallon on gas, they wouldn't be in business. Most people don't even go inside to pay for gas anymore, so that rules out the owner making money on snacks. The bottom line is when the "boss" calls the station and tells them to raise the price three times in one hour, they are adjusting their profit. These station owners are in business for a reason. Like I said, if gasoline sales weren't profitable, they wouldn't sell it.
Not true. I worked as a convenience store manager for a while (worst job EVER btw...) and as a company we only made about 3-9 cents a gallon profit on gas. Gas prices locally are driven up and down by 1 or 2 stations, then the rest follow suit. The ones that drive the prices are the ones actually making profit on their gas (privately owned, who steal their gas... it's not as difficult as one may think). We only sold gas as a convenience to get more customers inside, and to earn 'customer loyalty'. In addition, I don't think drilling is the way to go, it just destroys the environment and forces us to be even MORE dependent on oil.

Old 10-22-2008, 05:54 PM

1,286 posts, read 2,909,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post
Untitled Document (http://cc.pubco.net/www.valcent.net/i/misc/Vertigro/index.html - broken link)

We could spend less money on this technology than we have spent in Iraq to fuel our growth with little adverse effect.

Also, hemp, switchgrass, and sugar beets need to be looked at.
actually one of Florida's biggest exports is sugar beets to Brazil for ethanol production its a byproduct of sugar 4:1 byproduct. other than that, i don't know if sugar beets and wheat are enough to supply the US with its demand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
That's why car makers are tanking. Toyota had the mindset to think ahead. That's why they are #1 in the world. There's a reason why GM is in the tank. They will come out with the Volt and it will be too late. It will be expensive and unreliable. Toyota will have something better by then, more than likely. No vision by U.S. automakers.

Hell, if the entire U.S. drove hybrids, we wouldn't have a problem.
well first of all, the US Car Company's have been making junk cars for years. they were specifically designed to fail after 3 years. but the european versons of the US cars have the same quality of BMW and Mercedes. americans just put up with this lower quality and the last 10 years it has really started to hurt the US company's. that and toyota and honda are more american made the gm, ford, and chrysler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njguy View Post
Still - IMO it would be a huge mistake to be complacent and think that the now lower gas prices will stay that way long term and go back to driving gas guzzlers. Prices will be back up and even higher than it was, because it only takes a small somewhere in the world problem or "if the breeze is not blowing quite right" to jack up oil per barrel prices almost instantaneously.
cruid oil drives the price of gas at the pump. price is down 50% from 2 years ago, since the DEMOCRAT CONGRESS STARTED oil skyrocketed, but we can ignore that fact. we haven't even seen the total decline yet. do you know why crude oil is down that much? because the US lifted bans for drilling in July i think it was. gas will be $2/gal by mid December.

one thing a lot of you don't seem to understand is that 60% of the oil imported isnt even for vehicles, this is why nuclear power is such a big ordeal in this election and for the next presidency.

alternative energy is a means, but does not offer any solutions for tomorrow. oil does. and to talk about supply, you really don't know. Alaska is said to have as much as the middle east, Venezuela has a oil shelf that is said to be 2-3 times that of the middle east. the Gulf of Mexico has large supplies as well. they can see the oil by satellite now.

demand for oil has been skyrocketing, that's why it has been so high. china and India are HUGE emerging markets for oil. please don't be so naive.

i actually have a patent on an alternative energy. we are still developing the applications and testing its usefulness but we are making it work so far. we are still probably 2-3 years out just on testing in different environments alone. we need to know its efficiency at different elevations and humidity's.

don't be so arrogant to think i don't know what i am talking about. you never know who you are talking to. while my career maybe real estate and mortgages, my education was in industrial technology with robotics engineering. i love this stuff and its been a life long hobby. i would encourage anyone of you to use your own hard earned money and time to develop technology's that may or may not work. my partner is a chemical and mechanical engineer and his father was one of the most well respected master welders in the world during WWII.

someone mentioned used cooking oil. that is not a bad idea. particularly with large cities. in case you didn't know, there is a company that has designed a way to make it usable as jet fuel. the technologies are out there. but the infrastructure isn't. not only to refine large scale amounts, but to supply for it and then to deliver it. there is a lot more to it. natural gas is another great technology that should get some feedback since all of our landfills produce a ridiculous amount of it.

our plan is to design everything head to toe and take it to Honda/Toyota to over see the project implementation. we are going to try to use solar power as a means to keep the battery always charged and/or perhaps to eliminate the need for a battery altogether. there is a lot of great technology available. we hope to be able to encompass ours not only in a car but in a home/building as well.

drjoey and bigjohn also know a great deal of alternative energy as well as energy. a lot of you are on here just making sh*t up as you go.

once again, here is a short 2 min clip that you should all watch
YouTube - 3 Ways to Lower Gas Prices

Old 10-22-2008, 06:03 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,876,303 times
Don't forget the politicians who take kickbacks from big oil and automakers to keep the little guy down.

Old 10-22-2008, 06:04 PM

3,219 posts, read 6,565,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokerdave View Post
actually one of Florida's biggest exports is sugar beets to Brazil for ethanol production its a byproduct of sugar 4:1 byproduct. other than that, i don't know if sugar beets and wheat are enough to supply the US with its demand.

well first of all, the US Car Company's have been making junk cars for years. they were specifically designed to fail after 3 years. but the european versons of the US cars have the same quality of BMW and Mercedes. americans just put up with this lower quality and the last 10 years it has really started to hurt the US company's. that and toyota and honda are more american made the gm, ford, and chrysler.

cruid oil drives the price of gas at the pump. price is down 50% from 2 years ago, since the DEMOCRAT CONGRESS STARTED oil skyrocketed, but we can ignore that fact. we haven't even seen the total decline yet. do you know why crude oil is down that much? because the US lifted bans for drilling in July i think it was. gas will be $2/gal by mid December.

one thing a lot of you don't seem to understand is that 60% of the oil imported isnt even for vehicles, this is why nuclear power is such a big ordeal in this election and for the next presidency.

alternative energy is a means, but does not offer any solutions for tomorrow. oil does. and to talk about supply, you really don't know. Alaska is said to have as much as the middle east, Venezuela has a oil shelf that is said to be 2-3 times that of the middle east. the Gulf of Mexico has large supplies as well. they can see the oil by satellite now.

demand for oil has been skyrocketing, that's why it has been so high. china and India are HUGE emerging markets for oil. please don't be so naive.

i actually have a patent on an alternative energy. we are still developing the applications and testing its usefulness but we are making it work so far. we are still probably 2-3 years out just on testing in different environments alone. we need to know its efficiency at different elevations and humidity's.

don't be so arrogant to think i don't know what i am talking about. you never know who you are talking to. while my career maybe real estate and mortgages, my education was in industrial technology with robotics engineering. i love this stuff and its been a life long hobby. i would encourage anyone of you to use your own hard earned money and time to develop technology's that may or may not work. my partner is a chemical and mechanical engineer and his father was one of the most well respected master welders in the world during WWII.

someone mentioned used cooking oil. that is not a bad idea. particularly with large cities. in case you didn't know, there is a company that has designed a way to make it usable as jet fuel. the technologies are out there. but the infrastructure isn't. not only to refine large scale amounts, but to supply for it and then to deliver it. there is a lot more to it.

our plan is to design everything head to toe and take it to Honda/Toyota to over see the project implementation. we are going to try to use solar power as a means to keep the battery always charged and/or perhaps to eliminate the need for a battery altogether. there is a lot of great technology available. we hope to be able to encompass ours not only in a car but in a home/building as well.

drjoey and bigjohn also know a great deal of alternative energy as well as energy. a lot of you are on here just making sh*t up as you go.

once again, here is a short 2 min clip that you should all watch
YouTube - 3 Ways to Lower Gas Prices
I don't doubt you but the ones in control whomever it is will probably NOT do right as far as oil production, oil markets, and countries controlling as such hence my thinking of future gasoline pricing.

Also I've seen many videos such as these if now the right ones in authority would heed.

Old 10-22-2008, 06:05 PM

1,286 posts, read 2,909,921 times
china also has gone full swing into solar power and is having great results with it. we may even see that pick up. there really is no reason why we don't have solar power on top of buildings.

Old 10-22-2008, 06:11 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,876,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokerdave View Post
china also has gone full swing into solar power and is having great results with it. we may even see that pick up. there really is no reason why we don't have solar power on top of buildings.

I looked into doing that for our home. It is so expensive. I guess in the long run it would pay off though. It makes alot of sense for commercial use however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies