Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 03:56 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,828,058 times

Advertisements

If communities know that their elected official(s) is/are corrupt, has/have been convicted of corruption, even serve prison time, why do they get re-elected? Is it because what they have accomplished while in office is greater than their corruption scandal? Is it because some people are gluttons for punishment or is it because we are so used to reading about corruption that we determine that it is a matter of degree re: their corruption? Am interest in having your thoughts about this topic.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2008, 04:03 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,691,351 times
I'm gonna say they are gluttons for punishment and have a problem learning from their past mistakes. Could also have something to do with a society that is too permissive.

Old 10-24-2008, 04:36 PM

In some ways, I think we are too permissive; and sometimes I wonder if 'we' are the ones who are gluttons for punishment cuz we re-elect them...do we think they learned their lessons...hmmm. Perhaps it depends upon the degree of corruption I don't get it.

Old 10-24-2008, 04:42 PM

638 posts, read 1,918,185 times
sheeple... the keep voting for who the media is telling them... or who their friends tell them they should vote for... regardless it's the same people who are voting in the same douchebags over and over again.. .I HATE TO VOTE REPUG... I HAVE TO VOTE DEMOCRAT... those people make me ill.

Old 10-24-2008, 04:54 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Because we's have to switch party affiliation to vote them out, and that violates the spirit of American cultural traditions.

Old 10-24-2008, 04:57 PM

Do you really think it is simply that?

Old 10-24-2008, 05:02 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarmaple View Post
Do you really think it is simply that?
Yes. Most people vote a fairly straight party ticket, at least for important federal offices. They identify themselves with the philosophy of one party or the other, and vote that for party until they become completely disaffected with it, and even they, keep on voting for that party while bitterly complaining.

Old 10-24-2008, 05:20 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,878,282 times
Thumbs up .

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinCarl View Post
sheeple... the keep voting for who the media is telling them... or who their friends tell them they should vote for... regardless it's the same people who are voting in the same douchebags over and over again.. .I HATE TO VOTE REPUG... I HAVE TO VOTE DEMOCRAT... those people make me ill.
Something went wrong over the last 28 years with having 20 of those being “republican” administrations. I guess I HATE TO VOTE REPUB ,,,,, EVER AGAIN ~ AND HAVE TO VOTE DEMOCRAT,,,,, now don’t get ill but that’s were many many votes are going. Too many criminals in these administrations over the last three decades ~ time for a change.

Old 10-24-2008, 05:34 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,471,463 times
Is there a list of all these people convicted of corruption who keep getting re-elected? Even the legendary Marion Barry was busted in a cocaine sting, and after all, how nasty can you be to a guy who only barely survived being shot by Muslim Terrorists?

Old 10-24-2008, 05:57 PM

638 posts, read 1,918,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
Something went wrong over the last 28 years with having 20 of those being “republican” administrations. I guess I HATE TO VOTE REPUB ,,,,, EVER AGAIN ~ AND HAVE TO VOTE DEMOCRAT,,,,, now don’t get ill but that’s were many many votes are going. Too many criminals in these administrations over the last three decades ~ time for a change.

Sorry but it's not just the repugs that are criminals.It's most politicians.. primary in the 2 party ticket.

sheep need to quit looking at the "party" and look at the DAMNED PERSON running for office... look at the issues that person is standing for.. what their record and background show .. instead sheep see (D) or (R) after the douchebags names and that's all that matters with them.

Libertarians, Constitutionalists, Green, etc.. these are all parties.. some have good men and women running and some have asses. just like the repugnants and democraps.

I'd rather look and throw my vote to a third party candidate than a (D) or (R) as they always seem to have the more "honest" individuals in them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies