Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 05:36 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times

Advertisements

Hate and fear are two different things.

Hate has no prejudices.

Fear is a natural human emotion that indulges in self preservation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2008, 07:16 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,828,603 times
Hate is also deeply rooted, sometimes without solid basis...to loathe, to feel extreme hostility towards....sometimes it has no rhyme or reason...and sometimes it is easier to hate than to let go of false impressions and mistaken information...we use the word hate a lot in our day to day lives....I can easily say I hate cooked spinach, not to compare cooked spinach with hate against others....I went to prep schoool, long time ago, and there was a very eclectic group of students who attended from all walks of life, some children of very famous people and others, just 'kids'...there was one girl from the deep South who believed very strongly and deeply certain ideals and principles about where different groups 'stood', and how things were supposed to be...I had never really witnessed prejudice to this degree before, from washing faucets after being used by a non-white students...etc....by the time the four years of school were over, the person who had the most difficult time going 'back home' was the southern belle because she had learned, through experiences and education and basically living together, that the things she had learned in the south, been raised to believe, were simply not true...she became horrified at the way her 'housekeepers' were treated even though they were 'like familiy', they clearly were not...she had a rough time with this...thus, to me, it illustrates when we are exposed to new things, when we learn that there is no basis for these stories about others....we have to then figure out what to do with that hatred and venom because it does not fit in to that belief system any more....certainly we are all not going to like everyone just as not everyone is going to like us, but that is a distinction concering a person, not branding an entire group.

Old 10-28-2008, 07:38 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,828,603 times
Where are most contributors to this thread from? NE, mid-west, south, Pacific area...just wondering...

Old 10-28-2008, 08:43 PM

1,658 posts, read 3,039,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarmaple View Post
Where are most contributors to this thread from? NE, mid-west, south, Pacific area...just wondering...
I'm British.

Old 10-28-2008, 08:54 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times
Charlotte, NC

Old 10-31-2008, 10:24 PM

102 posts, read 350,326 times
Quote:
Did anyone watch the documentary on the KKK last night? Actually I could not sit through the entire program... it was truly scary to me and I am not sure if it upset me more that there are more and more people, especially young ones, showing an interest in this type of fraternal organization.

I remember, years ago, when reading Gone with the Wind and reading the part about the group of guys who 'went out at night' to protect the South...and initially thought, wow, how gallant they are defending their families, etc., never realizing, of course that it was = to the KKK although it was written a bit more graciously and delicately...

Is it really upbringing; is it really fear of someone being different; is it really a belief system that only certain people are afforded certain rights...

There were actually young children, probably 6 or 7 in white robes and hoods chanting and participating in these activities....

Or are there people who just choose to hate because it is easier....
Yes, I did watch this and I thought it was very interesting. You probably won't like me saying this, but I think we should let them be as long as they don't break the law. In one part of the show, they even had a baby wearing the Klan robe. Maybe you missed this part, but the man who started the Ku Klux Klan didn't mean for it to be anything remotely like the way it is today. Originally,. it was basically just a social club that had meetings, and didn't do much else. They did ride on horses at night to intimidate the newly freed slaves, but didn't actually hurt them.
Here are a couple web pages you should read.
SPLCenter.org: Hate Groups Map
Nathan Bedford Forrest. Who is Nathan Bedford Forrest? What is Nathan Bedford Forrest? Where is Nathan Bedford Forrest? Definition of Nathan Bedford Forrest. Meaning of Nathan Bedford Forrest.

Old 10-31-2008, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Jarrett View Post
There is only an estimated mere 8,000 Klan members in the ENTIRE United States today, a country with over 300 million people. Meanwhile in Los Angeles county ALONE there are a whopping over 152,000 gang bangers. If you count nationwide those numbers are closer to 1 million according to America's Most Wanted. So you have a significantly better chance of bumping into a gang banger than you have of bumping into a klansmen. So I wouldn't worry too much about the klan today. Groups like MS-13 for example are a much bigger threat to American society than they are.
Those are very interesting statistics. Thanks for sharing.

Old 10-31-2008, 10:35 PM

Quote:
I am from the midwest. The Great Plains, to be real specific.

Old 10-31-2008, 11:34 PM

1,385 posts, read 3,006,628 times
Let the KKK think they're better than some others (they're wrong though lol) as long as they aren't lynching or hanging people from trees.

Old 11-01-2008, 06:35 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,859,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringTheContent View Post
By the way, only a LIBERAL would just assume that someone who disagrees with them must automatically be from MONTANA.

There are MANY good people in Montana. You fear Montana because you have never been there. And if you've never been there it must be full of people who are different than you. And if people are different than you, they must be BAD PEOPLE! That of course is the Obama way.

I don't see a difference from your stance than any of the other ignorance espoused. You broad brush liberals and Obama supporters, seems to be the edge you are intolerant of. I don't have a problem with the KKK expressing their views though I find their views ignorant. Their ability to express is taking a pulse on the system to make sure it lives... after Bush I wonder.

My issue with any of these groups comes when they violate the rights of others through fear, intimidation or violence, at that point they need to be dealt with quickly and with severity. Many in these groups are cowards, requiring anonymity or groups to carry out their message of hate. For them I have little compassion, for those they injure I do.

For the record I would be classified as a WASP, male, liberal, Nder supporter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies