U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2008, 03:56 AM

705 posts, read 1,128,871 times

Advertisements

Be interested if anyone has an opinion on Buchanon. I always thought he was way out there, but read Day of Reckoning and thought he makes some pretty valid points.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2008, 04:26 AM

19,179 posts, read 27,275,859 times
What were some of them? This isn't Book Club. Not everyone has a copy that he or she just finished reading. If this were typical Buchanan fare, there would be both good and stupid points raised, with some sound and much completely irrational analysis to follow. Does that about cover this particular work?

Old 10-25-2008, 06:43 AM

His points about diversity and immigration destroying the fabric of society were pretty compelling. We often celebrate our diversity as a strong point of American culture. Buchanon makes some pretty convincing arguments for just the opposite.

By the way, I know it's not book club and didn't ask if you read the book. Just was wondering about opinions in general of him.

Thks

Old 10-25-2008, 06:52 AM

1,238 posts, read 2,147,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyP View Post
His points about diversity and immigration destroying the fabric of society were pretty compelling. We often celebrate our diversity as a strong point of American culture. Buchanon makes some pretty convincing arguments for just the opposite.

By the way, I know it's not book club and didn't ask if you read the book. Just was wondering about opinions in general of him.

Thks
I agree that diversity of culture is destroying the fabric of society, but not diversity of race. I think culture has a time and a place, but at the end of the day we should all be Americans. In that regard I like his POV.

Old 10-25-2008, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronK View Post
I agree that diversity of culture is destroying the fabric of society, but not diversity of race. I think culture has a time and a place, but at the end of the day we should all be Americans. In that regard I like his POV.
I think his points about immigration without assimilation of culture is right on. He refers to it as the "balkanization" of America. We are losing our culture to a group of cultures that have little to do with what made America what it was.

Old 10-25-2008, 05:51 PM

19,179 posts, read 27,275,859 times
Actually, we are only just now getting back to having levels of the foreign-born amongst us that would be equal to what has been typical over long stretches of our history. There is no real reason to believe as Buchanan seems to that immigration poses any more threat today than what it did in other eras.

Old 10-25-2008, 07:00 PM

42,670 posts, read 69,784,860 times
I was in Tel Aviv once, long enough ago that the original settlers were still alive. It was the most cosmopolitan place I've ever seen. Israelis---nearly all of them---came from far flung places, where the people, although they were Jews, livid in a culture that had its music and cuisine and language. Many Israelis congregated in cafes and chatted in the old country language. Every type of restaurand could be found, every kind of music could be heard. But nobody can accuse them of not being Isrelis when the nation needed cohesion.

Old 10-25-2008, 08:04 PM

772 posts, read 1,047,815 times
If there were more Pat Buchanans' and Ron Pauls' within the republican party, not only would you not be the Iraqi mess you're in, you wouldn't be in bailout mess either. Pat has long supported the isolationist position of countries should mind their own business, but he has supported Ron Paul in the respected magazine 'American Conservative' against corporatism. My only criticism of Buchanan, would be his position on defending the religious right, as I have always believed that church and state must remain separate issues. Neither the pope nor the president has any right interfering with my liberty.

Old 10-25-2008, 08:15 PM

8,971 posts, read 14,391,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Actually, we are only just now getting back to having levels of the foreign-born amongst us that would be equal to what has been typical over long stretches of our history. There is no real reason to believe as Buchanan seems to that immigration poses any more threat today than what it did in other eras.
That argument is often made..but I disagree that it's relevant...it's not so much that the IMMIGRANTS today are 'bad' or 'worse than before'...it's that the society into which they're ARRIVING has now lost a good deal of the resolve and determination it once had, and thus, today's 'additions' are tearing apart a society already devoid of much of its former identity.

Call this a "good thing" if you wish (a lot less racism, less xenophobia, less 'mindless patriotism, etc)...or call it "alarming" (decades of PC have diluted our sense of 'oneness', and done away with most of our societal norms)..but the fact is that today's immigrants are arriving into a society that can barely define ITSELF...good luck on any focused 'assimilation'. So 'PC' have we become, we can't even agree that immigrants should arrive LEGALLY anymore (oh, it's 'OK', of course....but not really mandatory)...and even THAT fact causes no end of 'hand-wringing' and 'second-guessing' and heated debate.

To compare the immigration of past eras to today's, requires more than simple 'numbers' or even 'percentages'. Buchanan seems to feel (and I agree), that any society, including this one, if it loses sight of what it "is"..or what it "stands for", becomes in effect, no society at all...and thus will fall easy prey to any and all 'threats'. Unfortunately, this 'guilt-ridden', self-doubting scenario is becoming more and more our description with every passing year....and in THAT situation, immigrants certainly CAN cause turmoil and problems, if they want to...because there's no agreed-upon 'norm' for them to adopt, or to assimilate to.
Any large, 'directionless' group, arguing and seething in discord and disagreement, can very easily fall victim to a much SMALLER group....provided that the smaller group is determined, united, and not afraid to pursue its goals, nor embarrassed to 'state its case'. Such is the case in immigrant groups (many of whom FREQUENTLY and loudly 'state their case'. monotonously, repeatedly, and with ZERO sense of 'guilt'..even if they're not supposed to be here !)..

If 'we' (the 'locals') don't set the 'rules', the 'newbies' can, and will, make their own...to fit THEIR agenda. And lately, I'm afraid we've done a VERY poor job of 'setting the rules' (we're told that it's not 'nice' to set rules)....and for this neglect of our duty, I'm afraid we'll someday look back in deep regret.

Last edited by macmeal; 10-25-2008 at 08:55 PM..

Old 10-25-2008, 08:24 PM

6,237 posts, read 8,099,879 times
My mom loved Pat Buchanan. Voted for him twice back in the 90s. I thought he was nuts, until the iraq war and he actually made some sense. My opinion of him is better than it was then
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies