Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 08:04 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times

Advertisements

I have heard the story of Japanese soldiers who used waterboarding against US soldiers being executed for doing so. And while I don't support torture, I also don't support what I see as a political witch hunt nor do I believe that the nonuniformed terrorists we have at GITMO and perhaps elsewhere are entitled to the same treatment that legitimate enemy soldiers are. So I would like to settle the matter once and for all. I've searched the Internet for anything reliable on the subject and have only come up with editorial pieces from less than reliable sources. The question I am asking is, Were Japanese soldiers really executed for the act of waterboarding US soldiers? If so, were other actions also involved such as punitive amputations and summary executions, or was the crime that led to their execution waterboarding alone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 08:22 AM

1,653 posts, read 1,169,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
I have heard the story of Japanese soldiers who used waterboarding against US soldiers being executed for doing so. And while I don't support torture, I also don't support what I see as a political witch hunt nor do I believe that the nonuniformed terrorists we have at GITMO and perhaps elsewhere are entitled to the same treatment that legitimate enemy soldiers are. So I would like to settle the matter once and for all. I've searched the Internet for anything reliable on the subject and have only come up with editorial pieces from less than reliable sources. The question I am asking is, Were Japanese soldiers really executed for the act of waterboarding US soldiers? If so, were other actions also involved such as punitive amputations and summary executions, or was the crime that led to their execution waterboarding alone?
Oh for cripes sake.

Yokohama Reviews - Asano (http://socrates.berkeley.edu/~warcrime/Japan/Yokohama/Reviews/Yokohama_Review_Asano.htm - broken link)

Old 05-07-2009, 08:28 AM

3,555 posts, read 7,846,914 times
momonkey asked;
Quote:
Is The Execution Of Japanese Soldiers For Waterboarding An Urban Legend?
No, it's not an urban legend, although many on the right claim it didn't happen because "the U.S." didn't do it. The trials and executions were carried out as part of a "winning powers" coalition, just like the Nuremburg trials were. The name was The International Military Tribunal For The Far East. For further reference try watching; "Judgement At Nuremburg", or try your local library.

She also wrote;
Quote:
I also don't support what I see as a political witch hunt
Why, exactly do you consider this a "witch hunt"? The CIA admitted their agents and contractors did it, admittedly they acted on what they thought was legitimate legal advice from their superiors, we have solide evidence that the President's, Vice President's and Pentagon's legal counsel worked together to create the legal brief that led to that advice being given. The real question is; Were these lawyers giving their best legal advice, or were they giving their bosses what they wanted to hear?

Are you aware that the US has treaties wherein we agree that it's torture and we will not torture? This is why Spain's Attorney General is investigating, some of those held at Gitmo were Spanish citizens. Somehow those funny Spaniards have the quaint idea that torturing their citizens ANYWHERE, under ANY LEGAL FICTION is probably a crime against their citizens.

And;
Quote:
nor do I believe that the nonuniformed terrorists we have at GITMO and perhaps elsewhere are entitled to the same treatment that legitimate enemy soldiers are.
Two points regarding this statement; Why do you think they don't? Are they somehow sub-human? Also, you might have some (semi) legitimate point had those (or even a majority of those) held been "swept up on the battlefields" as GW Bush kept claiming. In fact more than a simple majority of them were "grudge" prisoners, with probably no relationship with terrorists or even those with terrorists sympathies (before they were tortured), but were picked up because a local village big-shot saw an opportunity to get rid of an enemy, or make some quick cash, OR BOTH.

golfgod

Old 05-07-2009, 08:34 AM

1,902 posts, read 2,467,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimw144 View Post
Oh for cripes sake.

Yokohama Reviews - Asano (http://socrates.berkeley.edu/~warcrime/Japan/Yokohama/Reviews/Yokohama_Review_Asano.htm - broken link)
Quote:
Specifications:beating using hands, fists, club; kicking; water torture; burning using cigarettes; strapping on a stretcher head downward
Didn't see waterboarding on that list

Old 05-07-2009, 08:43 AM

4,104 posts, read 5,307,711 times
Lets cut out the nonsense. Islamic radicals cannot be treated like any other country. First of all, there is no one country we are dealing with. I have yet to see a specific country (even Iran) take ownership for the Islamic radicals. Second, these terrorists will never play by the rule book. Never. The only book that matters is their bible, and according to their interpretation. you should die. You are an infidel - you must die. They blow themselves up in crowded marketplaces, ram jets into buildings, execute woman for crimes such as "getting raped", and hang suspected gays from bridges and leave them to mummify in the sun for months.

The same Left that frequently refers to the Christian-right as "superstitious idiots" now has a moral problem with our country using any and every action available to protect itself against a group who has hijacked Islam with the sole purpose of killing you? You guys make no sense.

The only thing worse to these radicals than a Christian is a non-believer. As long as they are not going to follow the rules, we have better be prepared to do the same.

Old 05-07-2009, 09:17 AM

3,555 posts, read 7,846,914 times
coastal rap wrote;
Quote:
Didn't see waterboarding on that list
But you did see "water torture" right? That's what waterboarding was called.

golfgod

Old 05-07-2009, 09:28 AM

5,041 posts, read 6,214,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPATTA2D View Post
Lets cut out the nonsense. Islamic radicals cannot be treated like any other country. First of all, there is no one country we are dealing with. I have yet to see a specific country (even Iran) take ownership for the Islamic radicals. Second, these terrorists will never play by the rule book. Never. The only book that matters is their bible, and according to their interpretation. you should die. You are an infidel - you must die. They blow themselves up in crowded marketplaces, ram jets into buildings, execute woman for crimes such as "getting raped", and hang suspected gays from bridges and leave them to mummify in the sun for months.

The same Left that frequently refers to the Christian-right as "superstitious idiots" now has a moral problem with our country using any and every action available to protect itself against a group who has hijacked Islam with the sole purpose of killing you? You guys make no sense.

The only thing worse to these radicals than a Christian is a non-believer. As long as they are not going to follow the rules, we have better be prepared to do the same.
The only thing worse than having Muslim extremists hijack Islam is this: Having extremists like you hijack my country.

We follow the rule of law in America. We don't wet our pants at the thought of terrorism. We don't need or want your cowardly reaction. Go someplace else if you want to live under a totalitarian government that has the right to torture people just because it thinks those people need to be tortured.

Your kind is not welcome here.

Old 05-07-2009, 09:33 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
Quote:

Islamic radicals cannot be treated like any other country, but when we fight them in a war and capture them, we cannot call them prisoners of war. They are our prisoners. They were captured during a war. But they aren't prisoners of war. Logic, please?

Old 05-07-2009, 09:38 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,319,675 times
Quote:
terrorists will never play by the rule book. Never. The only book that matters is their bible, and according to their interpretation. you should die. You are an infidel - you must die. They blow themselves up in crowded marketplaces, ram jets into buildings, execute woman for crimes such as "getting raped", and hang suspected gays from bridges and leave them to mummify in the sun for months.
I got news for you - neither did the Japanese.
You think it's unique that the terrorists ram planes into things?
Ever hear of the word Kamakaze?

You think it's unique that the terrorists blow themselves up so as to "take others with them"?
Ever hear of how the Japanese soldiers would pretend to be dead so they could lure American troops up close - then blow themselves up with hidden hand grenades?

Your arguments are the same tired old arguments that are made EVERY TIME there is a war - "Our enemy is not like other enemies, they are barbarians and deserve to be treated as such - so ANYTHING we do is OK".

SSDD.

Ken

Old 05-07-2009, 09:53 AM

4,104 posts, read 5,307,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
I got news for you - neither did the Japanese.
You think it's unique that the terrorists ram planes into things?
Ever hear of the word Kamakaze?

You think it's unique that the terrorists blow themselves up so as to "take others with them"?
Ever hear of how the Japanese soldiers would pretend to be dead so they could lure American troops up close - then blow themselves up with hidden hand grenades?

Your arguments are the same tired old arguments that are made EVERY TIME there is a war - "Our enemy is not like other enemies, they are barbarians and deserve to be treated as such - so ANYTHING we do is OK".

SSDD.

Ken
Ever hear of the Japanse Kamikaze pilots flying their planes into civilian targets? Ever hear of them killing innocent civilians on purpose?

The Japanse were ruthless in war, but they were honorable. They condemned the raids on Toyko, and stated they would never carpet bomb American cities. When it came to US troops, however, anything was fair game. Seems fair to me.

Anything else - a little more logical maybe?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies