Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2015, 07:07 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,936,147 times

Advertisements

We're losing our country and our values.

“To take from one, because it is thought his own industry and that of his fathers has acquired too much, in order to spare to others, who, or whose fathers, have not exercised equal industry and skill, is to violate arbitrarily the first principle of association, the guarantee to everyone the free exercise of his industry and the fruits acquired by it.”
-Thomas Jefferson, letter to Joseph Milligan, April 6, 1816

“A wise and frugal government … shall restrain men from injuring one another, shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government.”
-Thomas Jefferson, First Inaugural Address, March 4, 1801

Government has no business in the redistribution of wealth or the handing out charity.

We, as people, have an moral obligation to fund charity to help those less fortunate than ourselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2015, 07:15 AM

27,141 posts, read 15,318,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoppingCartLaw View Post
Obama preached to a roomful of people that you have an obligation to give to the less fortunate. I would imagine that he was talking to the audience who belonged in the middle class.

So how would OBAMA force you (as a middle class) to have an obligation to give to the less fortunate???

Pick one:
a) Through a tax increase for the middle class
b) Through a required deduction from paycheck where 10% of the income goes to the charity like how some churches do this
c) Do it on your own and the IRS will check your tax return to see if you gave to the less fortunate
d) none of the above - other ways_____________________

Charity is not the job of the government, did Obama say that too?

Old 11-28-2015, 07:16 AM

254 posts, read 145,931 times
We in the west have been feed this agenda for a long time, and you see the result now, widespread pathological altruism.

Old 11-28-2015, 07:25 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,306,967 times
Quote:
Obama preached to a roomful of people that you have an obligation to give to the less fortunate. I would imagine that he was talking to the audience who belonged in the middle class.

So how would OBAMA force you (as a middle class) to have an obligation to give to the less fortunate???

Pick one:
b) Through a required deduction from paycheck where 10% of the income goes to the charity like how some churches do this
c) Do it on your own and the IRS will check your tax return to see if you gave to the less fortunate
"Liberty" is the freedom to direct your own path, to do what you think best for yourself and your own well being. Therefore, no one has an "obligation" to give to the less fortunate. It is a personal choice.

No one will deny that "charity" is not a good thing. Christ taught charity. Government redistribution programs are not charity, because the government must take money by force (taxation) from the citizens. Secondly, you do not get to choose where that money will go.

Once again, Obama is completely wrong.

Old 11-28-2015, 07:45 AM

2,008 posts, read 1,248,178 times
How prophetic some of the early posts in this thread were...

Old 11-28-2015, 07:50 AM

23,559 posts, read 17,227,205 times
Quote:

Pick one:
there is no obligation.

By your own volition you may choose to HELP someone who is less fortunate. It is false that you need to GIVE, as in, give money. The HELP may include money, but to assume the only way to help is with money, is to not help at all.

We have an innate desire to help people that are less fortunate and tend to do so with people we know or in community or church setting.

the idea we have an obligation is the stuff of governments and profteering religious minions.

Old 11-28-2015, 07:51 AM

35,700 posts, read 21,054,375 times
what would Jesus do? I personally think with all our problems, we are a blessed country- because we do help the world.

Old 11-28-2015, 09:44 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,108,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG77 View Post
I think Obama is basing that statement on the Bible. We do have an obligation to help others in need.

Well that seems fitting since Obama seems to consider himself as some kind of God.

If that were the case, there are millions of people in need in America, starting with our vets and the homeless. While the government pours billions into other countries, that money could go towards people right here in the US. It's not as if the billions he hands out to other countries are coming out of his pocket. Oh, wait..........................

He's just preparing you for when thousands of refugees come to the US and will tell you to dig deep, very deep, into your pockets and help them.

I am not "obligated" to take care of anyone. I take care of myself and family that I choose to help. Outside of myself and family, I have no obligations to help anyone. Anyone I help and how I help them is by my choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies