Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 08:26 PM

4,250 posts, read 10,433,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylalou View Post
That is one aspect of American culture - the accent on youth. I agree with what Judge Judy said: She wants to create a magazine for middle-agers because when she, like me and many people my age, notice in most magazines is that they (we) don't even know who the people are because they are all mainly twentysomethings who really haven't accomplished anything noteworthy. Our culture has always emphasized youth and superficiality and not paid attention to the older wisdom that comes with experience and which might really be something youth can look up to. Of course they can't do this if all they see is themselves.
So how does one change this? I think it's not possible. All I know is I want OUT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2008, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
America's culture is defined by its induced addiction to distraction. I'm convinced that those who had the desire to steer our culture have conducted tremendous research on us to see what makes us tick. Theirs was a campaign on many levels and included what foods we were driven to crave, what music we were encouraged to listen to, etc. Distractions like Paris Hilton, Timmy fell down the well, white lady missing in Aruba, etc. were all blown out of proportion to dissuade us from seeing reality. America's culture is a hologram of what life would be like if people allowed themselves to be turned into human cattle to get fat on excess and luxury while the conveyor belt leads them to slaughter.

What to do? Simple. Determine what has real value and focus on those things. Everything outside of yourself could potentially be misleading, so trust your gut and discern reality for yourself. If you don't benefit from it, pay it no heed. The way out is WITHIN.
Very astute observations. My issue is that I live HERE - in the day to day world - as does anyone who happens to be 40 or older. I detest what this country stands for. I always have. I was ready to renounce my US citizenship 24 years ago, and I was only 25, but I knew there was a better way of living. Unfortunately, I did not leave.

I just want to go some place to where people are not held hostage to this crap we are. I just want to be a human being at my age. Does such a place exist?

Old 10-26-2008, 08:43 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,127,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movin'on View Post
Very astute observations. My issue is that I live HERE - in the day to day world - as does anyone who happens to be 40 or older. I detest what this country stands for. I always have. I was ready to renounce my US citizenship 24 years ago, and I was only 25, but I knew there was a better way of living. Unfortunately, I did not leave.

I just want to go some place to where people are not held hostage to this crap we are. I just want to be a human being at my age. Does such a place exist?
Well, I'm not one to give out much information about myself, but I feel like the loneliest person in the world at 47. My family shares almost none of my values. My job involves no real human contact. Sad to admit, but this forum is almost my entire social life. Like you, I have long rejected America's culture, and I cry real tears at the ease with which people are distracted by unreal things. Not to say I have or know the truth, but I try my darndest to stand back and look at the bigger picture so it can be understood first on a symbolic level and then on a practical level (how to counter the powerful influences designed to ensnare me). I'm alone because I haven't met anyone who thinks like I do and I can't handle the anger of people who defend what logically is indefensible. Ask most people "Why?" and they look like deer in the headlights. I'm different because that's what I'm always doing. I guess what I'm saying is, I don't know where that place is but I do know that while it may not yet exist, it can indeed be created. When the time comes and the opportunity is ripe, dream away. You partly created this culture, now actively create its replacement. Perhaps we'll meet up then.

Last edited by mhouse2001; 10-26-2008 at 08:52 PM..

Old 10-26-2008, 08:46 PM

61,289 posts, read 87,214,458 times
not a thing. everybody in the world likes it except us.
but one thing an american cant stand, american culture.
self hatred on a mass scale.
if these folks had a clue what living in a foreign country was like that would stop that stuff.

Old 10-26-2008, 08:47 PM

713 posts, read 1,861,520 times
Quote:
I am thinking this could pertain to other cultures as well, but more so in American culture. I have never cared for American culture, and this goes back to when I was 25 years old - the same thing I am going to complain about right now.

I am sick of seeing 20 somethings dominate the media, as if Lindsey Lohan or Paris Hilton's antics really matter in the big scheme of things. So who is responsible for this? Since when did wisdom go out of style? I know the answer, as it's always been out of style in American culture.

My question is...what to do? There is probably no way to reverse this "thing." Maybe I should ask why this "thing" exists and how to deal with it? Any countries I could move to where life is not this way? If so, I will gladly go.
We're superficial because we CAN be. Modern medicine gives us a false sense of immortality and security. We don't have to ponder the ultimate meaning of our lives, the reality of death, the human condition, etc. We don't have to ponder whether human life is worth carrying on, because today we can have sex without producing more of it. If our ancestors fell in love, that meant babies, that meant a family, that meant a family oriented culture. Now, the culture is all about seeking personal pleasure, often at the expense of others.

Part of the problem is mass media. As Lenin said, repeat a lie often enough, and it becomes the truth. Lies can be produced and spread faster than ever before, in mass quantities, at the speed of light. Whoever controls the mass media outlets has tremendous power to shape our beliefs and ideas, for good or for ill. I'm of the opinion that those who seek power rarely have good intentions, so I suggest that the latter is probably true.

Right after 9-11, a lot of Americans, including me, woke up to the reality of their own mortality. Briefly, Americans became interested in Christianity and/or the search for ultimate truth again. Briefly, our heroes were those firefighters who gave their lives selflessly trying to save others, instead of Brittany Spears.

But alas, we've returned to our previous state again.

So, in my view, it's sort of a paradox. As life gets better, life gets worse.

Old 10-26-2008, 08:48 PM

5,553 posts, read 6,727,364 times
Quote:

I'm not being facetious but people love Bali because the people are decent and lovely. They can't be bought with money and have a strong sense of community and respect for age.

Old 10-26-2008, 08:50 PM

2,057 posts, read 3,406,152 times
Quote:
My question is...what to do? There is probably no way to reverse this "thing." Maybe I should ask why this "thing" exists and how to deal with it?
Smart people don't watch TV. Why put smart people on TV?

Old 10-26-2008, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
not a thing. everybody in the world likes it except us.
but one thing an american cant stand, american culture.
self hatred on a mass scale.
if these folks had a clue what living in a foreign country was like that would stop that stuff.
Well, I've lived in another country, so I speak from experience. And you?

Old 10-26-2008, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Thousand View Post
Smart people don't watch TV. Why put smart people on TV?
I don't watch TV. I do have cable, and am keeping it through the election. Still, I cannot even navigate the Net without being bombarded with this crap.

Old 10-26-2008, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylalou View Post
I'm not being facetious but people love Bali because the people are decent and lovely. They can't be bought with money and have a strong sense of community and respect for age.
Hmm, thank you. I wonder what it takes to live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies