Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 12:45 PM

Location: Wandering the halls aimlessly...Hello? Is anyone there?
307 posts, read 455,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by affi View Post
When I made that statement about Being afraid of whites, It was Sarcasm.I was responding to A poster That Said they were afraid Of Muslims because of 9/11.
Imagine that.....sarcasm on one of these posts. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Peace
Winter
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2008, 03:24 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,349,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winterscorpion View Post
I mean no disrespect here, but the Terrorist threat is very real in Britain. They have many acticve cells over there hiding behind the religious freedom facade. There have been documented videos made where they are openly promoting "Jihads" against westeners to include the US. I'm not saying that we should live in a paranoid state of mind, but we should not turn a blind eye to those extremist Muslim groups either.
The terrorist threat is real in Britain, as it is here in the US as well. I don't believe any rational person, including those of the Muslim faith, would say that we should turn a blind eye to extremist Muslim groups.
They can be and are very dangerous. Constant vigilance is necessary. But making a whole group out as terrorists is not.
Quote:
I'm of the mindset that many a crazy person hides behind the "Religious" freedom afforded them by our desire to show tolerance to that which we do not understand. The sad thing about this is that by doing so we are are basically setting ourselves up for failure.
Many a crazy person does hide behind religious freedom. Not only Muslims but Christians, too.

But often we are NOT showing tolerance to that which we do not understand, hence, this thread. People do not understand Muslims, have no idea what the average Muslim is all about, what they believe; they don't know any muslims, they hear Muslim and automatically think of 9/11 and terrorists. When in reality MOST Muslims are not terrorists.
Quote:
I have no dislike for Muslims, Jewish people, or any other religious sect. If they are all teaching or preaching that God (in whatever form they see him or her as) wants his people to be kind and caring to one another I see no reason not to be tolerant.
Excellent!
Quote:
I will say this, there are far more suicide bombers in the middle east killing not only themselves, but women, men, and innocent children for the sake of thier beliefs then there are anywhere else in the world.

If you look at history, they have been doing this longer than we (The US) have had our hands in thier business. These actions are designed to create that "Fear" that so many in this thread talk about. Then the News Media dwells on stories such as these and replays these stories numerous times throughout the day. Is it any wonder that westerners are afraid?
I am not sure what you are trying to say here? That we have had our hands in their business for only a short period of time and therefore we have nothing to do with what is happening in the Middle East? Before we had our hands in their business, another Super power did, Great Britain.

Before anyone had their hands in their business, there were not suicide bombings killing innocent people.

What exactly do you mean by that comment?
Quote:
I say that education is the key, but its really hard to educate oneself when each news station puts its own spin on what happened and fails to report "Just the Facts".
Agreed, which is why we cannot depend on the media for information.
Quote:
I do care what goes on in Britain/England, Canada, and any other country that is US freindly. We need to care because if we shut ourselves out of whats going on elsewhere, we expose ourselves to more events such as 911 (God rest thier souls).
I for one am not advocating shutting ourselves out to what is going on around the world. But shutting ourselves out of what's going on elsewhere is not the only way we are exposing ourselves to more events such as 9/11. Our policies have something to do with it as well.
Quote:
I dont want them to assimilate completely, because then they lose thier ability to see where they come from and who they were. (We forced the American Indians to assimilate and they lost a big part of thier history and tribal customs) I only ask that while living, working and functioning here in the US, they abide by our laws and respect the rights of others. Whats tolerant in thier country may not be tolerant in ours. If they choose not to respect that, they are free to go back to wherever it is that they came from. If they are born here and dislike this country, the cool thing about being here is you are always free to go elsewhere.
My sentiments exactly.

Thank you for your comments

Old 10-28-2008, 03:41 PM

34 posts, read 71,512 times
I'm afraid of marsians.

Old 10-28-2008, 03:45 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Why are Americans afraid of everybody?

Old 10-29-2008, 11:33 AM

432 posts, read 1,664,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Why are Americans afraid of everybody?

Like WHO?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies