Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 09:43 AM

4,173 posts, read 6,686,719 times

Advertisements

Realistically, I do not think outsourcing will stop. However, we do not need to add insult to injury by giving these companies tax breaks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2008, 09:46 AM

8,577 posts, read 7,849,699 times
the jobs aren't coming back. if corporate taxes go up again, expect massive layoffs.

Old 10-28-2008, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarquise View Post
the jobs aren't coming back. if corporate taxes go up again, expect massive layoffs.
And this is the truth neither parties can talk about - jobs are gone for good. We need to invest in industries we are ahead in - biotech, micro-machines, etc - and train our workforce to produce higher value goods. We cannot compete with others in making cheaper consumer products - just look at what is inside Walmart. Besides, most people will not pay more to get the same quality product.

The problem needs to be looked at from a higher level - and this is where spending comes in. Think about it - if we did not spend $600 billion (and counting) in un-needed Iraqi war, we could have invested it in our industries, in health care and other more useful places. We are close to collapsing because we had Bush-Rumsfeld who love our shiny military toys and were warmongers - time for Joe 6-pack to pay as Joe 6-pack is not very involved and was distracted by more important things like Brittany Spears.

Markets are down now as they are forward-looking and indicate many job cuts over the next year (at least) - we are just starting. Hold on tight.

Old 10-28-2008, 12:42 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,637,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calmdude View Post
And this is the truth neither parties can talk about - jobs are gone for good. We need to invest in industries we are ahead in - biotech, micro-machines, etc - and train our workforce to produce higher value goods. We cannot compete with others in making cheaper consumer products - just look at what is inside Walmart. Besides, most people will not pay more to get the same quality product.
You have a point that the jobs are not coming back......but do not underestimate the power of 'offshore resources' aka outsourcing by another name....
The problem needs to be looked at from a higher level - and this is where spending comes in. Think about it - if we did not spend $600 billion (and counting) in un-needed Iraqi war, we could have invested it in our industries, in health care and other more useful places. We are close to collapsing because we had Bush-Rumsfeld who love our shiny military toys and were warmongers - time for Joe 6-pack to pay as Joe 6-pack is not very involved and was distracted by more important things like Brittany Spears.
I'm sorry, did joe 6pack vote 'present' or 'aye' to invade Iraq? I believe that was the reps and dems in congress which would include mccain, hilary and biden.
Markets are down now as they are forward-looking and indicate many job cuts over the next year (at least) - we are just starting. Hold on tight.
Too true, which makes outsourcing a very important problem that the candidates need to really start focusing on.

Old 10-28-2008, 12:48 PM

Camping - the Joe 6-pack comment is a reflection of the fact that a common person on the street is not too interested in national and international affairs. If we held both D & Rs to higher standards, we would have asked many questions before W threw the UN inspectors out in a hurry, claimed he knew locations of WMDs, did not find it later, was still re-elected, etc. As a collection, we deserve the leadership we get. And yes, this includes some spineless Dems who did not stand up to W.

The economy is not going to be pretty for some time now. Plus, having lost 35+ percent in my 401k means that many like me will need to work an extra 4-5 years to make this up.

The best either candidate can do is to stem the tide. The economics are not in our favour for manufacturing consumer goods. Like I said before, we need to fight battles we can win - in higher end industries - and leave the shoe-making to others.

Last edited by calmdude; 10-28-2008 at 12:58 PM..

Old 10-28-2008, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Camping - the Joe 6-pack comment is a reflection of the fact that a common person on the street is not too interested in national and international affairs. If we held both D & Rs to higher standards, we would have asked many questions before W threw the UN inspectors out in a hurry, claimed he knew locations of WMDs, did not find it later, was still re-elected, etc. As a collection, we deserve the leadership we get. And yes, this includes some spineless Dems who did not stand up to W.

The economy is not going to be pretty for some time now. Plus, having lost 35+ percent in my 401k means that many like me will need to work an extra 4-5 years to make this up.
Look, the bailout was not a few spineless dems who couldn't stand up to a lame duck president like W....it was Nancy Pelosi, Harry Reid and Barney Frank that wrote it and pushed it! I do not lessen any responsibility for the idiot republicans who were shamed into signing the damn thing...why do you try to minimize your parties responsibility?
As to the reelection of W, I don't think it had a lot to do with joe sixpacks short attention span, but more to peoples dislike and distrust of John Kerry. The dnc completely screwed itself by sending in Kerrey as its nominee. I recall republicans were already getting disillusioned by W prior to the 2004 election. Had the dnc picked a better nominee, the last four years may have been vastly different.

Sorry to hear about your 401K --- we seem to be in the same boat on that one. I have some time to see it rebound prior to retirement, but I don't think it is going to be as much as we originally thought.

Old 10-28-2008, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Look, the bailout was not a few spineless dems who couldn't stand up to a lame duck president like W....it was Nancy Pelosi, Harry Reid and Barney Frank that wrote it and pushed it! I do not lessen any responsibility for the idiot republicans who were shamed into signing the damn thing...why do you try to minimize your parties responsibility?
As to the reelection of W, I don't think it had a lot to do with joe sixpacks short attention span, but more to peoples dislike and distrust of John Kerry. The dnc completely screwed itself by sending in Kerrey as its nominee. I recall republicans were already getting disillusioned by W prior to the 2004 election. Had the dnc picked a better nominee, the last four years may have been vastly different.

Sorry to hear about your 401K --- we seem to be in the same boat on that one. I have some time to see it rebound prior to retirement, but I don't think it is going to be as much as we originally thought.
I was talking not about the bailout but the fact there was more furor over Sanjaya than the Iraqi war - i.e. Joe 6-pack's priorities. I have already voted Obama mainly becuase of Wingnuts, my lack of trust in McCain-Palin ticket, and I have had enough of the "stated" Republican philosophies that were not put in action. Like many Independents, I am very anti-Republican at this point and very willing to give Dems a chance.

Actually, the 401k is allocated ok, and I too have time to catch up - but it sucks to lose that much in such a short while.

What do you think either candidate can do about outsourcing without subsidies (which may be self-defeating in the long run as they make us less competitive)?

Old 10-28-2008, 01:19 PM

3,047 posts, read 9,033,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman08 View Post
With the election just a few days away. Is there any hope that whoever gets elected will bring jobs back to the United States that have already been outsourced?
Yes, the problem is it could lead to even millions of more mexicans flooding America's job market, thus lowering the wage of nearly all of America's current jobs. i know the whole "North American Union" may sound far fetched, but we'll see what happens now that our Legislative and Executive branches are Democratic (no way mccain wins) and can pass anything that they want.

Last edited by At1WithNature; 10-28-2008 at 01:51 PM..

Old 10-28-2008, 01:31 PM

Quote:
I was talking not about the bailout but the fact there was more furor over Sanjaya than the Iraqi war - i.e. Joe 6-pack's priorities. I have already voted Obama mainly becuase of Wingnuts, my lack of trust in McCain-Palin ticket, and I have had enough of the "stated" Republican philosophies that were not put in action. Like many Independents, I am very anti-Republican at this point and very willing to give Dems a chance.

Actually, the 401k is allocated ok, and I too have time to catch up - but it sucks to lose that much in such a short while.

What do you think either candidate can do about outsourcing without subsidies (which may be self-defeating in the long run as they make us less competitive)?
I am also disgusted by the republicans. They shot themselves in the foot when they turned from the conservative principles of smaller government and fiscal responsibility in favor of moral majority and corporate welfare politics.

I don't know what the best way to stem the tide of outsourcing is. My first reaction is to heavily penalize companies that outsource more then 5% of their workforce through taxes......but I admit that I am not an economics expert. The thing is...neither obama nor mccain are either.

Old 10-28-2008, 01:47 PM

5,562 posts, read 5,682,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman08 View Post
With the election just a few days away. Is there any hope that whoever gets elected will bring jobs back to the United States that have already been outsourced?

Outsourcing is nothing more then cause and effect.
Washington and business have been pushing for Globalization of goods and services for sometime now. Washington wants US workers dependant on them for education and govenrment services and corporation business wants access to cheap labor. Which is why we have open borders, IT jobs in india and American Car companies calling themselves AMERICAN when in fact mostly everything comes from MEXICO AND Canada.
American jobs are gone because of big government and the corporations who pad the laws to benefit them. Loyality and American liberty has been replaced by corporate greed, big government and third world labor.
If you can stamp out big government you have a chance at American liberty and jobs at home until then your just asking for more of the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies