Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 05:00 PM

399 posts, read 554,567 times

Advertisements

If you read the OP's other Posts. They all scream racism. He intended to be racist, and it doesn't matter if you are black, asian, or white.

The term "Negro" IS offensive. And people who don't think it is are most likely Caucasian who think Racism is ok. But then again we shouldn't be afraid. An African-American President will be the first president of minority decent. We moved a long pretty well since the 1960's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2008, 05:01 PM

223 posts, read 538,012 times
Oops...sorry...lol. What about making the word "noose" a hate crime?? Where do we stop with the PC crap??

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubynicholson77056 View Post
We've already been down that road...you're late...read the previous posts.

Old 11-04-2008, 08:52 PM

825 posts, read 2,820,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Just as every Italian has at least one pope in his family tree.
It couldn't be....I'm shocked.

Old 11-04-2008, 09:22 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,829,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canaliculus View Post
Why are they so different? American negros seem to have lighter skin and different physiognomy.
Interesting...
this isnt 100% accurate.....black people do not care about this only ignorant white people.

and most people like you dont know that black africa is diverse in color tones

Old 12-01-2008, 11:50 PM

3 posts, read 13,679 times
I co-sign with thoughts.

[quote=that1guy;5911403]Being half African and half white American, the difference is more cultural. Young Africans look towards African Americans for trends. But, we also still have our European culture handed down from colonialization and our parent's generation. There is less contention between African Americans and Africans, but the attitude goes both ways. Africans, esp. older generation middle/upper middle/upper class, see African Americans as less refined. This is because this group was raised with very French or English ideals. Every morning at my aunt's house begins with cofee and croissant. My cousins attended a French school. They speak with perfect Parisian accents and went two of them went to univerisity in Paris, the other two stayed in Ivory Coast. Modesty is high, flashiness is reserved for dancing and night clubs. Africans in America are expected to be either doctors or accountants. At my school, most Africans were pre-med. African Americans sometimes perceive Africans as snobbish and ignorant. Snobbish since we can at times look down, and ignorant since Africans in America do not know the norms of the nation. This is rapidly changing. More is being done to bridge the gap.

Okay those are the cultural differences. As far as genetics...well, let me start off by saying that it is inherently impossible to find a cut off point for a race. East Africans are lighter than West Africans. There is also significant populations of East Africans and Malians who have Arab blood since these places held significant Middle Eastern populations in the 1400s. My own family lore contains that we were descended from Arab traders and Malian traders that moved to Ivory Coast for farming/trade. I'm not even going to go into the whole mixed race thing (South Africa, Kenya, Ivory Coast, Senegal, etc...places with European settler populations). To be honest, the skin color is the least important aspect.

Old 12-02-2008, 12:21 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,082,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canaliculus View Post
Why are they so different? African Americans seem to have lighter skin and different physiognomy.
Interesting...
There's probably variations in skin tones within African people and different regions as well.
Example: my mother is from Russia, but her looks (skin tone, hair color, bone structure, facial features) resemble those of my father, who is from Germany (very typical Nordic features). A guy I used to work with, also a Russian immigrant, had very Turkic looks. Both are from the same country; yet they look vastly different.

Old 12-02-2008, 12:38 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,082,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
For the same reason why white Americans don't look like Eurpean Americans - we're all mixed up racially. I lived in Germany for 3 years and Europeans could just look at me and know I wasn't European. Most Germans (could be changing now with more immigration) are pure German, French are pure French, etc. I'm Irish, Danish, and French, so I don't look like any "pure" Europeans.

And unless you were born in the 1800s, the word "negro" sounds racist.
Strange. My parents are both immigrants and anytime I've ever met a European they've always said "You don't look like an American". What does an American look like????? And I'm considered 'racially-mixed' (German and Russian) so go figure.

Does anyone still use the term negro?
I was recently talking to some guys from Ireland, and they were asking me what the correct term for African Americans was in this country, and I wasn't sure-I told them we use 'black' or 'African American'.

Old 12-02-2008, 01:27 AM

3,127 posts, read 7,629,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
I'm black/African American myself and the term negro is very outdated. If you call a black/African American a negro, some(alot) of us will find it offensive/insult. You do not want to call a black person a negro, you might find yourself in a brawl/fight depending where you at and who you talking to. Alot of us use black/African American to describe are race , unless you're biracial or rather use a country of origin. Alot of Carribean and Africans describe themselve by the country of origin.
My question to you is, and please don't take this the wrong way, when are the blacks, negros, african american, colored or whatever you are calling yourselves gonna finally decide on a name for themselves and STICK WITH IT.
For some time they were called ni**ers, then it became Negro, few decades later Colored, then Blacks, now its African-American. When are they going to decide what name they classify themselves as. Sounds like an identity crisis if you ask me. Like I said please dont take it the wrong way, I am just curious why so many name changes?

Old 12-02-2008, 04:33 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,798,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXTwizter View Post
My question to you is, and please don't take this the wrong way, when are the blacks, negros, african american, colored or whatever you are calling yourselves gonna finally decide on a name for themselves and STICK WITH IT.
For some time they were called ni**ers, then it became Negro, few decades later Colored, then Blacks, now its African-American. When are they going to decide what name they classify themselves as. Sounds like an identity crisis if you ask me. Like I said please dont take it the wrong way, I am just curious why so many name changes?
This is such an ignorant statement.As a person of color i don't care what you call me as long as its not riddled with cultural indifference and historical inaccuracies.No black or whatever in this country has NEVER wanted to be called by the "N word with the 2 gs".So you are being nasty by the question you ask.What meeting would black people get together and decide this?And why and for whom?You?Use your common sense and TACT(which you obviously have little of) when dealing with people and no one will fault you.

Old 12-02-2008, 04:43 AM

9,067 posts, read 15,798,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Our point is that Negro is an acceptable term which is still used by English speaking people, especially older ones, who have no intention to disparage anyone. Why are YOU so concerned. Why are so many people so quick to attribute hatred to those who have no other intent but to be perfectly rspectful? Do you think your own intolerance of well-meaning people might, in itself, be a contributor to social tensions?

Is there anybody here who thinks the OP had the intention to unsult or disparage any group of people? Why is he being accused of the equivalent of a hate crime? The PC police want us to refer to Africans as "African-Americans who have never been to America", or something equally absurd.
Im black American.I have no objections to the word Negro.Its a legit scientific name like Caucasian.Although its not what I prefer.Its like here in the U.S.I am black,not because of my appearance only,but also by my American cultural and historical experience I am "black" unlike my African brothers and sisters,culturally we have very little in common but race which we are all Negroids-hence Negros.That said it also depends on the delivery of how it said or used and in what context.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies