U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 04:01 PM

1,535 posts, read 1,172,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
I bet Palin knows the difference between a medical research organization and the USDA. What's Maddow's excuse?

Buy the way, the question was are you tired of paying the normal operating expenses of millionaire's farms in Napa Valley?

How is research to eradicate a certain pest a normal operating expense? If that is the case we should have shut the door on the Dept. of Agriculture years ago, and while we're at it all of those tax draining colleges of agriculture that provide research for the agricultural sector of the US. Hey, we would have saved tax payers money and had an agricultural sector that resembles Namibia, how cool would that be?

Old 10-28-2008, 04:08 PM

13,544 posts, read 6,403,931 times
Thread #3 from you today on the SAME subject.

You do know that you can go to page 2 and post in the thread you already started right?

Rachel Maddow is a Rhodes Scholar with a degree from Oxford. She is one of the smartest people on television. She is as far from being a moron as the sun is from Pluto.

I do agree, however, that Gov. Palin is qualified to talk 'pork' - she certainly knew how to hire lobbyists to get some for AK.

Like I said in that earlier post, CA sends a lot money to D.C. in taxes - if they want to subsidize their own agriculture, absolutely, I think they should be allowed to do so.
At least we can say that something is still produced in the U.S. of A.

16,620 posts, read 12,946,277 times
All pork is important to someone. Palin probably thought money for special needs programs was pork, too, until it affected her personally. I don't agree with everything Maddow says, but overall, I think she's quite intelligent and well spoken. That's more than I can say for Palin.

3,353 posts, read 1,342,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigr View Post
Maybe she might be a brain in the liberal circle but the rest of the world might not agree with you.
Just because you don't share her opinions doesn't mean she's a moron. She's extremely well-respected on both sides...much in the way Tim Russert was (though not as beloved...yet). Even Pat Buchanan thinks she's a brain.

Why don't you use yours and google ...

Old 10-28-2008, 04:11 PM

1,531 posts, read 1,266,140 times
Default Obama/Biden08

Quote:
And your point is?
Their is only one MORON here and all you have to do to find it is to look in the mirror...

Old 10-28-2008, 04:23 PM

4,007 posts, read 2,999,153 times
Oh...My...God.

Another fruit fly thread.

Obsession: a persistent disturbing preoccupation with an often unreasonable idea or feeling; the domination of one's thoughts or feelings by a persistent idea, image, desire, etc.; compulsive preoccupation with a fixed idea or an unwanted feeling or emotion, often accompanied by symptoms of anxiety; an unhealthy and compulsive preoccupation with something or someone.

Dude - seek help, fast!

Old 10-28-2008, 04:24 PM

20,532 posts, read 8,843,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterinAmerica View Post
How is research to eradicate a certain pest a normal operating expense? If that is the case we should have shut the door on the Dept. of Agriculture years ago, and while we're at it all of those tax draining colleges of agriculture that provide research for the agricultural sector of the US. Hey, we would have saved tax payers money and had an agricultural sector that resembles Namibia, how cool would that be?
Farmers purchase equipment and pesticides with which to combat insects. Other businesses produce these products that the farmers purchase. Prior to producing the products, research is performed on new experimental products to make sure the new products are safe and effective. Their is no need for the taxpayers to foot the bill for this research and the world won't end if the government stops wiping the noses of wealthy farmers. Private sector competition does wonderful things when left to run its own course. It's called "capitalism" and it won't hurt you.

But that is not the subject of this thread.

Old 10-28-2008, 04:26 PM

707 posts, read 766,160 times
Hear, hear, scorp200!
There was much concern expressed when Rachel Maddow was offered her own show. I read several accounts about how media honchos expressed concern that she was "too smart for tv" where, traditionally, the lowest common denominator (think hollering and ranting and screaming "we'll do it LIVE!!") was thought to appeal to the teeming masses.

Granted, these media types don't hold very high opinions about the intelligence of the average viewer, and I'm sure they'd have some research to prove their point, but I don't have to agree with them.

I do, however, welcome a quieter, more thoughtful approach like hers, even if I don't agree with everything she says. I respect her qualifications (Political Science PhD, Rhodes Scholar, etc.) and prefer her intelligent approach to discussing issues, as opposed to mindless frothing at the mouth and repetitive, brainless use of talking points that we see/hear on so many other shows. What's sad is that the screamers/ranters/mouth frothers seem to get the big ratings because they inflame the emotions of their viewers using easily digested bits of vitriol and class envy. Rachel Maddow makes viewers think.

Old 10-28-2008, 04:27 PM

20,532 posts, read 8,843,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorp200 View Post
Just because you don't share her opinions doesn't mean she's a moron. She's extremely well-respected on both sides...much in the way Tim Russert was (though not as beloved...yet). Even Pat Buchanan thinks she's a brain.

Why don't you use yours and google ...
You're comparing Tim Russert with Rachael Maddow. That's revolting.

Old 10-28-2008, 04:29 PM

3,353 posts, read 1,342,733 times
Quote:
You're comparing Tim Russert with Rachael Maddow. That's revolting.
I'm ok with that, fruitfly man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies