Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 06:11 PM

3,255 posts, read 5,063,371 times

Advertisements

Tom Delay wants even the poorest to pay income taxes, so they feel they are part of America! He wants to lower the taxes of the rich and tax the poor! He is the voice of the Republican brand, so now we know the real plans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2008, 06:17 PM

69,368 posts, read 63,853,697 times
Why would the poor not be required to pay taxes? Do they not use police, roads, public transportation? Maybe when they pay a % of their income, they will then understand what America is all about..

Do you have a source for your dribble?

Old 10-29-2008, 06:18 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,026,369 times
Can you imagine that guy crawling back into power?!

Former House Majority Leader Tom Delay - avoided the draft, did not serve (1). "So many minority youths had volunteered ... that there was literally no room for patriotic folks like himself." = whoserved.com

(<off-topic>: looking for the above I found this: "In 1985, [Newt Gingrich] told Jane Mayer of The Wall Street Journal that he still believed that "Vietnam was the right battlefield at the right time." Why didn't he go? "Given everything I believe in, a large part of me thinks I should have gone over," he allowed. But, recovering, he added, "Part of the question I had to ask myself was what difference I would have made." - Slate)

Last edited by delusianne; 10-29-2008 at 06:36 PM.. Reason: couldnt find what I was looking for

Old 10-29-2008, 06:19 PM

472 posts, read 869,711 times
Delay is the poster child for what went wrong with the GOP. The mere sight of him on TV should convince McCain to send a memo to the entire GOP party "If you've been convicted on anything related to an ethics violation...please, please refrain from doing any interviews until after the election". Delay was one of the archeitects of Contract with America... and that contract is now a smoldering ember. When the GOP loses next Tuesday how will they regroup? As someone said earlier... the GOP will lose big like they did in 1964. In 64 they needed to lose to become stronger. In 2008 they will lose because they deserve to!

To be fair enough... I cringe in a similar way whenever I see Nancy Pelosi or Howard Dean.

Old 10-29-2008, 06:21 PM

3,255 posts, read 5,063,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Why would the poor not be required to pay taxes? Do they not use police, roads, public transportation? Maybe when they pay a % of their income, they will then understand what America is all about..

Do you have a source for your dribble?
He just said it on Chris Matthews. Scrap the current tax policy and tax everyone so it is fair. But then we know what happened to Tom Delay,,,,, BTW it is Delay's dribble, not mine. No one is talking about local real estate taxes which is what you pay for those things, or maybe state taxes, which only some pay.

Old 10-29-2008, 06:23 PM

472 posts, read 869,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janeannwho View Post
He just said it on Chris Matthews. Scrap the current tax policy and tax everyone so it is fair. But then we know what happened to Tom Delay,,,,,
I just saw it earlier... In Delay's defense he did admit the entire GOP is in trouble... and everyone is casting blame. The ironic part I thought was that he is a big part of his party's implosion.

Old 10-29-2008, 06:24 PM

15,218 posts, read 30,415,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Why would the poor not be required to pay taxes? Do they not use police, roads, public transportation?
Sales tax, gasoline tax. etc. - everyone who buys stuff or puts gas in the car pays.

What in the hell does DeLay have to do with anything anymore though? He's finished, and good riddance.

Old 10-29-2008, 06:30 PM

5,459 posts, read 12,193,813 times
I think the joke was "The Contract ON America." No kidding.

Look. The GOP is going down and they worked at it. It's sad to me because the GOP deserves to lose but America doesn't deserve the kind of leadership Obama offers. It deserves better. So maybe now the GOP can take this as a big, fat lesson and regroup so they have some real platform in 4 years. Either that or they'll splinter off into the ultra right wing, Neo Christian whackos and a more middle, fiscally and socially conservative groups. Maybe a true libertarian party will come from the break. Who knows. But what's evident right now is that they're a ship without a rudder, a sail, a captain, and on rough seas, fighting eachother. Excuse all the nautical terms. I'm a Navy gal at heart.

Old 10-29-2008, 06:53 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,026,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Can you imagine that guy crawling back into power?!

Former House Majority Leader Tom Delay - avoided the draft, did not serve (1). "So many minority youths had volunteered ... that there was literally no room for patriotic folks like himself." = whoserved.com

(<off-topic>: looking for the above I found this: "In 1985, [Newt Gingrich] told Jane Mayer of The Wall Street Journal that he still believed that "Vietnam was the right battlefield at the right time." Why didn't he go? "Given everything I believe in, a large part of me thinks I should have gone over," he allowed. But, recovering, he added, "Part of the question I had to ask myself was what difference I would have made." - Slate)
rep to you!

Old 10-29-2008, 06:58 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,026,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnymonty View Post
Delay is the poster child for what went wrong with the GOP. The mere sight of him on TV should convince McCain to send a memo to the entire GOP party "If you've been convicted on anything related to an ethics violation...please, please refrain from doing any interviews until after the election". Delay was one of the archeitects of Contract with America... and that contract is now a smoldering ember. When the GOP loses next Tuesday how will they regroup? As someone said earlier... the GOP will lose big like they did in 1964. In 64 they needed to lose to become stronger. In 2008 they will lose because they deserve to!

To be fair enough... I cringe in a similar way whenever I see Nancy Pelosi or Howard Dean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies