Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 03:11 PM

1,904 posts, read 2,441,300 times

Advertisements

29 posts. One listed a few things, one.. Let us look at that list
The Banking system.>>>>>>>>>. FDR
The World's finest military. Actually ranked #3 in the world for quality.
NASA>>>>>> Kennedy
Wall Street>>>>>> limited stock companies were a liberal response to the mercantilist system
Welfare Reform>>>>>> Clinton
Victory in WWII and the Cold War >>>> The first; FDR, the second; The Soviet system collapsed due to its internal contradictions. America had little to do with it.

Using the term rightwingwhacko should not surprise those who have used any number of perjoratives to describe Liberals here, usually copied from RushHannity.

Lincoln as a bolshevik, here is a quote from a conservative commentator
Quote:
"Lincoln signed no less than 10 tariff-raising bills during his administration. Heavy 'sin' taxes were levied on alcohol and tobacco, the income tax was levied for the first time in American history, huge land grants and monetary subsidies were handed out to transcontinental railroads (accompanied by a vast amount of attendant corruption), and the government went off the gold standard and virtually nationalized the banking system to establish a machine for printing new money and to provide cheap credit for the business elite. ... A huge army was conscripted, dissenters and advocates of a negotiated peace with the South were jailed, and the precious Anglo-Saxon right of habeas corpus was abolished for the duration."

Slavery? "In every other part of the New World, slavery was peacefully bought out by agreement with the slaveholders," Rothbard asserted in the 1994 talk on which this essay is based. (Actually, Haiti was the other violent exception.) "But in these other countries ... there were no Puritan millennialists to do their bloody work, armed with a gun in one hand and a hymn book in the other. ... The Yankee fanatics were the Bolsheviks of their era."

Lincoln's "character"? Rothbard notes that Lincoln was the perfect model of the modern " 'reform liberal' ... whose heart bleeds for and yearns to 'uplift' remote mankind, while he lies to and treats abominably actual people whom he knew.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2007, 03:13 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,693,440 times
As I said, nothing I or anyone else could provide would satisfy your criterion, considering your ideology.

Old 02-19-2007, 03:28 PM

1,904 posts, read 2,441,300 times
My ideology? You know my ideology? doubt it. Just for kicks, I hold no "liberal" views, aside from extremism in defence of the earth is no vice.

I do have strong prejudices against those who are ruled by beliefs rather than facts. Here is some more on Lincoln
Quote:
Jeffrey Rogers Hummel's "Emancipating Slaves, Enslaving Free Men" ($14.95 from Laissez Faire Books at 800-326-0996.)

In the book, Hummel notes: "The Lincoln Administration imprisoned at least 14,000 civilians throughout the course of the war. ... The federal government simultaneously monitored and censored both the mails and telegraphs. ... It also suppressed newspapers. Over three hundred, including the Chicago Times, the New York World, and the Philadelphia Evening Journal, had to cease publication for varying periods."

Old 02-19-2007, 03:35 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,801,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YapCity View Post
..and this is why I "lean" left, but would never call myself a "liberal". Almost every argument is filled with "you don't know what you're talking about" or "you need to educate yourself", all under the assumption that if you don't agree with them you must be stupid. The fact is that without conservatives keeping the extreme left in check, we'd be living in a third world country by now.

Do you have any idea what a "Bolshevik" is? Everyone has been called everything by just about anyone with a mouth. Lincoln was no communist.

-TT

I agree with YapCity.

Lincoln was famous for appointing some of his strongest critics to his cabinet. He let the left and right fight it out for the good of the country and maintaining the Union.

Communist, I think not! He has been voted overwhelmingly the greatest president of all time by Americans from all ideologies. Thus, the inspiration for my philosophical party, the Lincolnian Party (lincolnians.org). Teddy Roosevelt is not far behind in my mind. James Madison, father of the Constitution and Bill of Rights, another great Amerian. His movement led to the development of the Republican Party. I'm hoping for the next great president to emerge. I don't care what party they belong to as long as they are about preserving our unity and keeping this country the land of opportunity and liberty!

Old 02-19-2007, 03:36 PM

Maybe you want to check your facts on these.

Clinton signed the Welfare Reform Bill under duress, passed by the conservative Congress to reform the FDR New Deal and the Johnson Great Society fiascos.
Pressure provided by the U.S. military build up during the 80s provided the trigger to bring down the Soviet Union.
The Banking system was in place much before FDR, but I was mistaken, the National Bank Act was passed by Congress in 1864.
NASA was initiated by the National Aeronautics Space Act of 1958 under Eisenhower.
The U.S. military is ranked 3rd? By who's standards. Thanks to Conservatives or it would be ranked much further down.

Old 02-19-2007, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatbasinguide View Post
My ideology? You know my ideology? doubt it. Just for kicks, I hold no "liberal" views, aside from extremism in defence of the earth is no vice.

I do have strong prejudices against those who are ruled by beliefs rather than facts. Here is some more on Lincoln
Your ideology is quite evident.

Old 02-19-2007, 03:43 PM

9,891 posts, read 10,823,821 times
for starters you should ask nancy pelosi and rahm emanuel, why they had to hide behind the conservative democrats they trotted out to win the house! Reagans conservative policys won the cold war and created the largest economic expansion in years. Newt's contract with America was a start at chipping away at the forty plus years of liberal big government democrat control ! conservative policys of President Bush 43's 6 years along with republican control of both houses of congress resulted in TAXES AT A 20 YEAR LOW, TAX REVENUES ALL TIME HIGH, THE DEFICIT CUT IN 1/2, UNEMPLOYMENT RECORD LOWS, STOCK MARKET RECORD HIGHS, CONTROLLED INFLATION, NO TERRORIST ATTACK SINCE 911, HOME OWNERSHIP ALL TIME HIGH, CHARITBLE GIVING ALL TIME HIGH. In a nutshell conservatives have slowly been chipping away at the social utopia created by FDR and LBJ!

Old 02-19-2007, 03:43 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,801,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatbasinguide View Post

You have your books I have mine:

Team of Rivals: The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln (Paperback)
by Doris Kearns Goodwin

Old 02-19-2007, 03:46 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,171,221 times
Conservative President George W. Bush was able to put the "Duh" back in "Dumb."

He invented a lot of words too, that were lacking in our vocabulary prior to his presidency.

Old 02-19-2007, 03:46 PM

Though Lincoln was indeed a political genius, as a Conservative, I wouldn't be too proud of his ideology. He ignored the Constitution by forcibly eliminating many of the rights the States were given.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies