Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 04:40 PM

959 posts, read 2,361,131 times

Advertisements

...is money. Really.

By encouraging free trade with other countries, a country may develop military alliances, form friendly relationships, help humanity and humanitarian causes, and help itself economically all at the same time.

Discuss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2008, 05:08 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,695,313 times
I'm gonna play devil's advocate since my husband is in the freight business. What you say may seem true on one side of the coin, but there are also many things on the flip side that aren't such a skip through the roses. Free trade can mean no borders, therefore no individual countries military. Eventually just one international force. It would also mean an unfair advantage for certain countries over others in just who gets the contracts for jobs. Look at NAFTA. Mexico gets more benefit than we do. People in freight in the U.S can get overlooked for the cheap labor south of the border. That causes tension which doesn't help humanity and it's causes and doesn't help the average Joe here. Mainly big business benefits as does the economy of the country that gets all the contracts.

Old 10-30-2008, 05:20 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
I hate to say it but in the end most simple labor jobs will disappear in teh US to be re-[alced by mexican workers until they progress . That is why it is so imporatnant for the young to get skills that will be needed. In the mean time many will be dispalced just as they were when we moved to a inducrial nation from a garicutural nation. There is really no stopping the progression unless youy fix prices . That leads to failure in the economy.

Old 10-30-2008, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
I'm gonna play devil's advocate since my husband is in the freight business. What you say may seem true on one side of the coin, but there are also many things on the flip side that aren't such a skip through the roses. Free trade can mean no borders, therefore no individual countries military. Eventually just one international force. It would also mean an unfair advantage for certain countries over others in just who gets the contracts for jobs. Look at NAFTA. Mexico gets more benefit than we do. People in freight in the U.S can get overlooked for the cheap labor south of the border. That causes tension which doesn't help humanity and it's causes and doesn't help the average Joe here. Mainly big business benefits as does the economy of the country that gets all the contracts.
You have a unique and valuable perspective here because of your husband's job. I don't quite see that country borders would just disappear/militaries turn into one big military, however. We're talking TRADE--not talking about other individual countries' ways of doing things (education, health care, type of government itself). Those things might be influenced by free trade, but not necessarily assimilated.

I do see that Mexico may benefit unfairly from NAFTA; I must ask, WHY is labor/contractors so much cheaper there than here? One part of the answer might be the enormous business taxes that American corporations, especially those that incorporate contractors as part of their business, pay. Another part of that answer might be the enormous liability that using contractors puts on a corporation or government agency--due to our present domestic trade policies and litigation. Either the company needs to stay "within itself" and NOT hire contractors, or perhaps American companies could find another way to lower costs and, so, become more competitive with Mexican contract companies--that opens up another can of worms.

Overall, though, I still see friendly trade/increased trade worldwide as a promoter of peace. Thanks for the response. I need to educate myself a bit more about the effects of NAFTA, especially in regard to Mexican labor.

Old 10-30-2008, 05:58 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,639,025 times
You are assuming that other nations have an american mindset where a blossoming middle class is a good thing. Look at mexico -- mexico is a wealthy country with more then its fair share of millionaires. Yet, it is also a country that deliberately sends it uneducated and unskilled majority over the border. Mexico has no need and apparently no desire for a burgeoning middle class. They merely wish to keep a controllable peasant class, and export the 'extras'. When dealing this type of mind set, there really cannot be any type of advantage on our part. Well, except grossly cheap labor, but that is something I would hope we would stop exploiting.

Old 10-30-2008, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
You are assuming that other nations have an american mindset where a blossoming middle class is a good thing. Look at mexico -- mexico is a wealthy country with more then its fair share of millionaires. Yet, it is also a country that deliberately sends it uneducated and unskilled majority over the border. Mexico has no need and apparently no desire for a burgeoning middle class. They merely wish to keep a controllable peasant class, and export the 'extras'. When dealing this type of mind set, there really cannot be any type of advantage on our part. Well, except grossly cheap labor, but that is something I would hope we would stop exploiting.
You've got me there. Perhaps trade with countries who have such mindsets is NOT the way to go. What the wealthy/trade productive countries should do is not trade freely with those types of countries until a real benefit to both could be established, but that apparently hasn't happened, in the case of Mexico, at least. You seem to be saying our current trade relationship with Mexico has caused us (and perhaps them) more harm than good. What about Cuba? Anyone with more knowledge care to comment on America's relationship/lack thereof and where we stand there in the context of the OP?

I would hope that when a few responsible leaders AND citizens of such a country see the advantages other countries get from free trade, they would modify their outlook. If they don't, they might end up a economically underpriviledged minority--until perhaps a social uprising were to take place.

Old 10-31-2008, 10:03 AM

5,562 posts, read 5,682,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskagrl View Post
...is money. Really.

By encouraging free trade with other countries, a country may develop military alliances, form friendly relationships, help humanity and humanitarian causes, and help itself economically all at the same time.

Discuss.

Isnt that the policy what has failed from clinton to bushes. :-)
The new world order policies of the left and right which are really one in the same are nothing more then globalization ideas. Bring all the troops home, secure the borders and promote free and FAIR trade.

Old 10-31-2008, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
Isnt that the policy what has failed from clinton to bushes. :-)
The new world order policies of the left and right which are really one in the same are nothing more then globalization ideas. Bring all the troops home, secure the borders and promote free and FAIR trade.
Actually, true free trade/expansion ideas have been shot down, time and time again. Most democrats were/are against NAFTA, which admittedly has some major flaws in it that most republicans didn't acknowledge/want to modify.

Not sure what you mean by "new world order policies of the left and right which are really one in the same --etc, etc"-- seems kind of like you're just talking to say something, or I'm really not understanding your point.

Old 10-31-2008, 11:01 AM

5,562 posts, read 5,682,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskagrl View Post
Actually, true free trade/expansion ideas have been shot down, time and time again. Most democrats were/are against NAFTA, which admittedly has some major flaws in it that most republicans didn't acknowledge/want to modify.

Not sure what you mean by "new world order policies of the left and right which are really one in the same --etc, etc"-- seems kind of like you're just talking to say something, or I'm really not understanding your point.

Free trade can not be created by a government policy it has flaws and is subject to CORRUPTION!!! Nafta, Cafta, WTO the UN and all these type of government intervention economic and humanity ideas are pure nonsense. They feed the corrupt and promote the destruction of American Independance. Those who think they can change the world thru government with more policies and laws are the types of people who destory FREEDOM. They dont know were to stop and what liberty and the peace that comes from it really is.

Old 10-31-2008, 11:24 AM

713 posts, read 1,865,978 times
One the big questions I have: Can we have a global economy without global government?

At the theoretical level I agree with free trade: It's better for country A to trade with country B so that both contries beneft, rather than country A invading country B to get some critical resource.

The problem is, what about regulations? History has shown that completely-unregulated capitalism leads to monopolies and a de-facto aristocracy. Who's going to be the "referee" now that the game of capitalism is global?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies