U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-30-2008, 08:35 PM

4,184 posts, read 3,897,953 times

Advertisements

The low cost of living in red states is because you have more vacant land there than people. Blue states are all built out; that's because these states industrialized first. The land is all used up by businesses and homes. They produced the most jobs so people flocked to them. With increased population, the price of housing went up and therefore the cost of living. Also with increased population came increased need for government services, ie, more roads and bridges, more schools and hospitals, more police....in other words, higher taxes. Blue states don't have higher taxes just for the heck of it. They have higher taxes because of higher population densities that need common infrastructure to achieve economies of scale. It's got nothing to do with being liberal or conservative.
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2008, 08:38 PM

8,701 posts, read 7,235,308 times
Low cost of living? I'm in a red state and my county is one of the wealthiest counties in the US. Cost of living is not low here. I don't think it's a blue or red state thing.

Old 10-30-2008, 08:51 PM

2,031 posts, read 4,323,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
Low cost of living? I'm in a red state and my county is one of the wealthiest counties in the US. Cost of living is not low here. I don't think it's a blue or red state thing.
Do you understand the concept of averages? On AVERAGE blue states are definitely more expensive than red states. This is a measurable truth.

Old 10-30-2008, 08:52 PM

1,801 posts, read 4,223,636 times
What does this have to do with the 2008 election

Old 10-30-2008, 09:02 PM

1,064 posts, read 528,644 times
Well, I can tell you that living in Maine, a blue state for over 30 years, is very expensive as a direct result of a Dem-controlled government. One of the highest tax burdens in the country...bottom 5 rank for business climate...2nd highest health insurance premiums...our own version of "national" health care which has consumed over 150 million in 4 years, with new taxes just passed to raise another 70 mill/year. Oh..and some of the most generous and liberal entitlement programs in the country. In other words, my fears for an Obama-Pelosi-Reid trifecta on a national level.

Old 10-30-2008, 09:04 PM

1,286 posts, read 1,937,474 times
let me get this right, raw land is republican and built land is democratic?

anyone else see how ridiculous this sounds.

how much math did you have to do to figure out that raw land is worth less? lol. wow.

Old 10-30-2008, 09:07 PM

2,016 posts, read 3,619,425 times
Has nothing to do with national elections. Every state has it's own jurisdiction. In fact local politics probably affects you more than national politics, it's just there is more media coverage on national politics. Industrial cities tend to bring in a different crowd, as the saying goes no one is really from ______ (fill in a name of a city), you can put that in any state, red or blue and you get a different vibe and politics to cater to it. State Rights, it's how our founding fathers intended it to be.

Old 10-30-2008, 09:08 PM

8,739 posts, read 6,664,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MainelyJersey View Post
Well, I can tell you that living in Maine, a blue state for over 30 years, is very expensive as a direct result of a Dem-controlled government. One of the highest tax burdens in the country...bottom 5 rank for business climate...2nd highest health insurance premiums...our own version of "national" health care which has consumed over 150 million in 4 years, with new taxes just passed to raise another 70 mill/year. Oh..and some of the most generous and liberal entitlement programs in the country. In other words, my fears for an Obama-Pelosi-Reid trifecta on a national level.
And higher taxes in Maine have produced a standard of living in this country not many states can surpass. For instance, I bet the poverty rate is much, much lower than it is in Oklahoma, which has low taxes and is one the most conservative states in the union. Maine is also a much healthier state than Oklahoma. Maine has less crime, as well as along with one of the lowest incarceration rates in the nation. In Oklahoma it's one of the highest. I bet many people unhappy with Maine and want to move would, no doubt, stay the hell away from Oklahoma. SO MAINE PEOPLE, COUNT YOUR BLESSINGS. IT COULD BE A HELL OF A LOT WORSE!!

Old 10-30-2008, 09:10 PM

7,268 posts, read 11,110,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokerdave View Post
let me get this right, raw land is republican and built land is democratic?

anyone else see how ridiculous this sounds.

how much math did you have to do to figure out that raw land is worth less? lol. wow.
In general, raw land without infrastructure is less expensive than developed land. The only exception is generally lakefront/riverfront property. Blue states in the Northeast, West Coast and PacNW are generally more densely developed than land in Southern states. Densely populated areas, especially along major transportation routes (automotive and rail-based), are more expensive on average.

I say on average and in general because someone will pop in here with some obscure example of the opposite.

But is the goal to be like Cambodia, or like Sweden.

Old 10-30-2008, 09:12 PM

11,390 posts, read 17,471,932 times
You mean blue states as of 2004 or blue states as of Tuesday?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies