Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2007, 05:14 AM

673 posts, read 4,069,712 times

Advertisements

Here is what I think taxes should be at the state/local level. What do you think is reasonable taxation?

Sales Tax: 8% for combined state and local taxes, 2% on grocery items,
9% on items of more then $100

4% sales tax refund for those who can show proof of residency in adjacent state.
(rent receipt or property tax statement)

State Income Tax: I would have like 5 brackets (individual, double the rate for married so up to 30,000 would be 2%)
no exemptions
2%......1-15,000
4%......15,000-30,000
5%......30,000-60,000
6%.......60,000-100,000
6.5%.......100,000+
*3% lower then stated tax rates for 60 years of age and older for new residents with-in last 3 years, max 3.5%
*2% lower then stated tax rates for 65 years of age and older, 4.5% max rate for 65 years of age and older
*1% lower then stated tax rates foir 60 years of age and older, 5.5% max rate for 65 years of age and older

I would have a flat 4% tax on corperation sales with-in that given that and have a 10% wage credit for new jobs created with-in the state which would be a credit against property taxes.

Add: 3,000 dollar for each person in the k-12 grades person for tuition, haha somebody with my positions could never get elected because of this

Property tax rates:
1% of home value residential, 2% commercial
so on a 100,000 dollar: 1,000 tax
75% credit for new arrivals last 3 years age 60 and older (250 per 100,000)
with a 50% credit for 65 years of age and older (500 per 100,000)
25% credit for 60 years of age and older (750 per 100,000)

Last edited by MattDen; 03-01-2007 at 05:33 AM..

Old 03-01-2007, 01:06 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,692,666 times
That's all well and good, but what would be the status of the individual budgets? Would your tax revenue cover your expenditures?

Old 03-01-2007, 01:26 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,138,039 times
Your plan is well thought out, however it needs to be tied to a location and budget like Amaznjohn suggested.

I don't think food or medicine should be taxed and I don't agree with a rebate if you're from an adjacent state.

I believe corporations should pay the highest taxes as they contribute the most to the degradation of society and the environment.

People who make the minimum wage should pay no income tax as they can't make any less.

As for property taxes, frankly, the idea that our schools are funded through property taxes is ridiculous--I'd prefer they be funded through some means of income or consumption taxation and distributed evenly throughout the schools. It is unAmerican for schools to differ so widely across the country due to the value of the adjacent properties. I believe property taxes should not be tied to price appreciation (inflation seems more logical) and I don't agree on discounts to the elderly. The elderly really do have most of the money--it's our children we shortchange most of the time.

As much as I hate the sales tax on the purchase of a car, I would probably require it with the stipulation that the proceeds go to fund roads, highways & transportation systems.

People who run organic farms, have green eco-friendly households, and companies that "Go Green" should be encouraged with tax incentives. Also, people who work a sizeable distance from their homes should be subjected to a higher 'commuter' tax. Basically, I believe in fairness (try defining that!) across the income spectrum. I think the only adjustments should be made in the cases where proven behavior is detrimental or beneficial to society in order to discourage and encourage them, respectively.

Old 03-01-2007, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
I believe corporations should pay the highest taxes as they contribute the most to the degradation of society and the environment.
That's a joke right? Of course it is since you realize that corporations provide jobs for a large portion of population and their profits provide the bulk of retirement income for those invested through 401Ks including teachers' unions benefits. And I'm sure you couldn't be serious since I know you are aware that American corporations are responsible for most of the advances in science, technology, medicine, and anti-pollution measures.

Quote:
As for property taxes, frankly, the idea that our schools are funded through property taxes is ridiculous--I'd prefer they be funded through some means of income or consumption taxation and distributed evenly throughout the schools.
Yeah. Vouchers would be the perfect solution. It distributes the money evenly via student population and its paid for when the services are used.

Quote:
I believe property taxes should not be tied to price appreciation (inflation seems more logical) and I don't agree on discounts to the elderly. The elderly really do have most of the money--it's our children we shortchange most of the time.
I was actually unaware of this. Of course, as I've found, to be quite accurate you must include those in their 50 as elderly.

Quote:
People who run organic farms, have green eco-friendly households, and companies that "Go Green" should be encouraged with tax incentives. Also, people who work a sizeable distance from their homes should be subjected to a higher 'commuter' tax. Basically, I believe in fairness (try defining that!) across the income spectrum. I think the only adjustments should be made in the cases where proven behavior is detrimental or beneficial to society in order to discourage and encourage them, respectively.
We've already found that you can't stop bad behavior by taxing it. Even if you were to stop it, your tax revenue stream would dry up, so it would be counter-productive.

Old 03-02-2007, 04:40 PM

Reply to Amaznjohn:

First, I'm not an economist. I was expressing what I would prefer.

No I wasn't joking on taxing corporations. Having watched the documentary "The Corporation" I have no nor will I ever have any respect for the legal entity called a corporation which was afforded the rights of a human being. And yes, I would adamantly propose that corporations are responsible for more horror in this world than any other institution save the military. Your view of their value is different than mine and I doubt we will convince each other to change.

I don't know enough about the voucher system to support it but I still stand on equal distribution of taxes paid for education. The only solution I would support would apply to all children without exception of location or type of school.

Property taxes as I have encountered them go up with the value of the property. Right now the people in Arizona, where prices have appreciated by 50%, are going to see tremendous increases in their property taxes and some won't be able to afford them or might be forced out of their homes. I just feel it would be fairer to tie the property tax to the general inflation rate. The initial property tax rate would be based on the sales price of the home, regardless of market conditions.

Since I'm not an economist, I didn't think it through that taxing bad behavior would be counterproductive. If everyone stopped smoking, the amount of tax revenue would plummet to zero--not something I expected. I still would suggest that some taxation be applied to behaviors, but of course, as I now see, those tax rates and behaviors would change over time based on the success rate.

Old 03-04-2007, 06:11 PM

Quote:
No I wasn't joking on taxing corporations. Having watched the documentary "The Corporation" I have no nor will I ever have any respect for the legal entity called a corporation which was afforded the rights of a human being. And yes, I would adamantly propose that corporations are responsible for more horror in this world than any other institution save the military. Your view of their value is different than mine and I doubt we will convince each other to change.
I respect your opinions, but these aren't only my views of corporations, but facts. I omitted mentioning the amount of charities that corporations donate to, the number of educational opportunities they provide by setting up endowments and grants, and their responses to natural disasters around the world. Maybe you need to look through your house and ask yourself what luxuries you would be without, if not for the contributions of corporations. Corporation is only the name given to a conglomeration of individuals who have pooled their talents to achieve various goals. Certainly, some are corrupt, as are a number of individuals. But, to make a blanket statement that all corporations contribute to the most degradation of society shows not only your admitted ignorance of economics, but, of business in general.

Old 03-04-2007, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
I respect your opinions, but these aren't only my views of corporations, but facts. I omitted mentioning the amount of charities that corporations donate to, the number of educational opportunities they provide by setting up endowments and grants, and their responses to natural disasters around the world. Maybe you need to look through your house and ask yourself what luxuries you would be without, if not for the contributions of corporations. Corporation is only the name given to a conglomeration of individuals who have pooled their talents to achieve various goals. Certainly, some are corrupt, as are a number of individuals. But, to make a blanket statement that all corporations contribute to the most degradation of society shows not only your admitted ignorance of economics, but, of business in general.
I agree that some corporations achieve great goals, so I revise my statement to reflect that some rather than all corporations contribute to the degradation of society. Surely, the decline of our civilization (directed by corporations) gives some creedence to my argument. I just believe corporations should be treated with suspicion until certain standards (mine at least) are achieved. By the way, I'm a business analyst--I see all the numbers and work with the executives. From a viewpoint beyond my mere income, I'm just not a fan of business as it is soulless and transient. I'm striving for more spiritual concerns in these troubled times, so that's why my viewpoint is somewhat skewed.

Last edited by mhouse2001; 03-04-2007 at 06:47 PM..

Old 03-04-2007, 06:40 PM

Quote:
I agree that some corporations achieve great goals, so I revise my statement to reflect that some rather than all corporations contribute to the degradation of society. Surely, the decline of our civilization (directed by corporations) gives some creedence to my argument. I just believe corporations should be treated with suspicion until certain standards (mine at least) are achieved. By the way, I'm a business analyst--I see all the numbers and work with the executives. From a viewpoint beyond my mere income, I'm just not a fan of business as it is soulless and transient. I'm striving for more spiritual concerns in these troubled times.
I'm a bit skeptical of your claim of being a business analyst considering your confusion between the national debt and the deficit. How would you be able to effectively analyze a business without such knowledge?
Your argument cannot give credence to itself. The claim you made must first be proven by providing substantiating evidence. For example, I could just as easily say that the decline of our civilization (if one has come to such a conclusion) can be attributed to cell phones, sense cell phone use has increased steadily.

Old 03-04-2007, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
I'm a bit skeptical of your claim of being a business analyst considering your confusion between the national debt and the deficit. How would you be able to effectively analyze a business without such knowledge?
Your argument cannot give credence to itself. The claim you made must first be proven by providing substantiating evidence. For example, I could just as easily say that the decline of our civilization (if one has come to such a conclusion) can be attributed to cell phones, sense cell phone use has increased steadily.
My business analyst roles focused on sales and operations in several industries from utilities to software where I proved adept at saving companies money and time with improved processes. I must have been pretty good at it since I retired at 43. I never dealt with budgets or deficits, however, so sorry about confusing the two. I've done that many times! Anyway, both our budget deficit and our national debt are in sorry states. Even if the budget deficit (as was claimed somewhere) is improving, it's still a deficit. Less negative is still negative.

As far as proving that our civilization is declining, since when do I have to do that? It is my opinion and it would require a book thick enough to stun an ox to delineate my reasons. I'm sure, amaznjohn, you'd tire of my outline as you seem to dissect everything I write.

Last edited by mhouse2001; 03-04-2007 at 09:53 PM..

Old 03-05-2007, 05:13 AM

Quote:
My business analyst roles focused on sales and operations in several industries from utilities to software where I proved adept at saving companies money and time with improved processes. I must have been pretty good at it since I retired at 43. I never dealt with budgets or deficits, however, so sorry about confusing the two. I've done that many times! Anyway, both our budget deficit and our national debt are in sorry states. Even if the budget deficit (as was claimed somewhere) is improving, it's still a deficit. Less negative is still negative.

As far as proving that our civilization is declining, since when do I have to do that? It is my opinion and it would require a book thick enough to stun an ox to delineate my reasons. I'm sure, amaznjohn, you'd tire of my outline as you seem to dissect everything I write.
When one makes claims as you have, you must have the knowledge, the evidence, and the logic to support such claims. Words mean things. So, if one writes them down, then one must be able to defend them if questioned. I've never heard of analyzing sales without dealing with budgets, but I'll take your word for it.

Yes, less negative is still negative. But, less negative IS improving. But, actually, with continued tax cutting, the deficit should be eliminated by 2010.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies