Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2008, 12:10 AM

3,414 posts, read 7,121,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwine View Post
So, to all anti abortion people. Pregnant women should be able to claim their unborn baby on their tax return? Drive in the carpool lane on the freeway?From the minute they get pregnant! Right?
That would be OK with me. Women don't usually know the "minute" they get pregnant. But once they know they are I'm fine with them getting in the carpool lane and when they get bigger and closer to their due date let them have handicapped parking. You'd have to work out the details for cheats and liars but then that's always the case.

Last edited by laysayfair; 11-02-2008 at 12:11 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 11-02-2008, 02:33 AM

3,536 posts, read 5,885,055 times
I'm not a woman. I personally would not want my GF to get an abortion, but that doesn't mean I want to impose my value system on others. Early term abortions, are fine. A spec of cells that barely has any comprehension is not the same as a crying baby. I support early term abortion. The earlier the better. In the case of rape and incest, a woman should have the right to choose. Abortions are not fun things to get; most people try to avoid getting in that situation.

I just don't understand why people get so upset over abortion? It's not advocating killing babies, it's allowing a woman to exercise her rights.

Old 11-02-2008, 03:41 AM

1,658 posts, read 3,031,804 times
Deep down, men may not want women to have rights.

Old 11-02-2008, 06:02 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,372,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moionfire View Post
Killing a potential child because of the economic burden on society or the mother is quite scary, immoral and selfish...
You kill potential children with your pro-life positions all the time, particularly with respect to teens. Compel a teen to give birth, and she drops out of school, takes a low paying service job, and works her butt off for the next 20 years to keep a roof over two heads and food on their table. She ends up a poor, exhausted, and single empty-nester before she's 40. If she terminates that pregnancy, she completes her education, meets Mr. Right, establishes her career, and at the ages of 27, 29, and 32, gives birth to two boys and then a bouncing baby girl, all just as real and precious as any child you ever saw. Pro-lifers KILL them. Kill them just as dead as any aborted fetus. They are baby-killers. That they believe they have the the right to intervene in order to snuff out so many potential lives simply because of their religious beliefs is indeed quite scary, immoral, and selfish.

Old 11-02-2008, 06:14 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,854,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
You kill potential children with your pro-life positions all the time, particularly with respect to teens. Compel a teen to give birth, and she drops out of school, takes a low paying service job, and works her butt off for the next 20 years to keep a roof over two heads and food on their table. She ends up a poor, exhausted, and single empty-nester before she's 40. If she terminates that pregnancy, she completes her education, meets Mr. Right, establishes her career, and at the ages of 27, 29, and 32, gives birth to two boys and then a bouncing baby girl, all just as real and precious as any child you ever saw. Pro-lifers KILL them. Kill them just as dead as any aborted fetus. They are baby-killers. That they believe they have the the right to intervene in order to snuff out so many potential lives simply because of their religious beliefs is indeed quite scary, immoral, and selfish.
it is interesting that you skipped over the bouncing real and precious baby part in your "terminate the pregnancy" sentence. i certainly hope that you are not defending late term abortions because that is terminating life. i am not a fan of early abortions but i think that there could be a reasonable argument made that it is not viable. obama has supported partial birth abortion which really is despicable:
removing a dead fetus does not meet the federal legal definition of "partial-birth abortion," which specifies that partial live delivery must precede "the overt act, other than completion of delivery, that kills the partially delivered living fetus."[11] Additionally, a doctor may extract a fetus past the navel and then "disarticulate at the neck", which could fall within the terms of the statute even though it would not result in an intact body and therefore would not be an intact dilation and extraction.

Old 11-02-2008, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Sex for pleasure is safe guarded by the pill, diaphram, and the condom. Womens reproduction rights are not being undermined. Just scraping potential child(fetus) out is.
Holy unreality, Batman! These safeguards mean that ONLY HALF of all pregnancies actually consummated in this country are unintended. A mere 50% of them. By your claim, that should be 0%. How come your prediction is off by so much? Where have you gone so totally wrong here?

Old 11-02-2008, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Being anti abortion is not a religious dogma... Why did you assume I am religious? I don't believe in religion...
It is religious dogma, and you have accepted that dogma whether accepting the rest of any particular religion or not. There are no convincing secular arguments against abortion at all. Attempts to equate an embryo or fetus to a human being are so falsely and feebly constructed as to be laughable. Unless of course one introduces the concept of a "soul"...something that needs to be redeemed so that it may one day ascend into Heaven and sing God's praises for all eternity. That theory and all alternative versions of it would be prime examples of dogma.

If you would argue against this contention, begin by taking up this obligation, twice previously posted in this thread and twice quite unsurprisingly ignored...

Post a list of those characteristics that you feel define conclusive status as a human being. For each, provide an indication as to whether a zygote possesses it or not.

Zygote too tough a standard somehow? Well, go ahead and try embryo then...

Old 11-02-2008, 06:50 AM

1,242 posts, read 2,452,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post

I just don't understand why people get so upset over abortion? It's not advocating killing babies, it's allowing a woman to exercise her rights.
How many chromosomes does the baby have? Does it have DNA? Does it produce proteins, brain waves, etc? Does it have the potential to keep on growing, just like I did when I was five years old and your grandparents did when they turned 70? It is advocating killing babies, because you are killing babies!

Old 11-02-2008, 06:53 AM

68,275 posts, read 54,010,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
it is interesting that you skipped over the bouncing real and precious baby part in your "terminate the pregnancy" sentence. i certainly hope that you are not defending late term abortions because that is terminating life. i am not a fan of early abortions but i think that there could be a reasonable argument made that it is not viable. obama has supported partial birth abortion which really is despicable:

He has stated he believes partial birth abortions should be allowed for medical reasons and has voted against against a bill banning partial birth abortion due to other issues in that bill.

To state Obama "has supported partial birth abortion" is at best simplistic and misleading.

Old 11-02-2008, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpoeppel View Post
Surely you are not suggesting that pro-life people are equivalent to the Taliban?
If KF wasn't, I will. There are high degrees of logical equivalency between pro-life organizations and the Taliban. Each believes that it has been preferentially informed of higher truth and claims a duty and right to impose that higher truth upon the somehow uninformed by any and all means as may be necessary, including the physical enforcement of their particular forms of moral law. You may plead differences between the two, but these will be differences in degree only...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies