U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2008, 04:44 PM

3,553 posts, read 6,939,059 times

Advertisements

So is this rule only in effect for Alaskans, or can anyone use it? Grampy Stevens gets called GUILTY seven times in less than a minute, and he goes on TV, in a debate and declares, "I haven't been convicted of anything".

Sarah Palin, within an hour of the Alaskan ethics panel saying, "she violated the ethics laws", says, "they totally exonerated me".

FTW? I'm supposed to start law school in a couple of months but I don't think I want to study something with such a dire economic future. No one will need defense attorneys in the future, just declare yourself innocent.

Has OJ heard about this? He really blew it in Las Vegas!

Unbelievable!

golfgod
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2008, 11:03 AM

28 posts, read 15,952 times
Once you get into school, you may be surprised to know our judicial system, like the financial system did, is going to break down at some point.

I went through something in the last two years that happened to expose me to this possibility, and I learned more of it in a few books written on the subject. You can find them in the bookstore now in the law section.

Not only can justice be bought but it has stopped working in some areas(mine was one) to the point where bringing the court in caused more problems than anything else. For a society which relies on virtue this creates systemic problems.

Old 11-01-2008, 12:43 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,231,932 times
Go to your county jail and check out the people in orange jump suits staring at the clock on the wall.. Do a survey and see how many of them have been found guilty.

Most of them are in there awaiting trial, which means awaiting plea-bargain, and of all those, by definition, been denied "reasonable bail". None will get a "speedy trial". For example, under Illinois procedure, nobody gets the constitutionally guaranteed 'speedy trial' unless their attorney asks for it, and then the definition of a speedy trial is within 160 days of the date of the request for this constitutionally guaranteed right. So getting a speedy trial within about 9 months of the alleged offense is virtually impossible. And if the bail is set higher that what you can afford, you will spend a minimum of 9 months in jail, without ever being convicted of any crime. (If you have no money or assets or family, ten-thusand and ten-billion are equally unreasonale bail.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies