Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2008, 06:23 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,295,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by decembergirl View Post
Who would keep the rich people rich if the poor and middle class stopped making money?
Would you please explain how this works?

I see people who become successful, getting "rich" (not all are "rich" by some people's standards, but may be viewed as "rich" by those with less) by the sweat of their brow, so to speak. They work for their money, and they work hard to improve their status in life. Some are entrepreneurs who run successful small businesses.

You make it sound as though the "poor and middle class" are supporting the "rich". How, indeed, does this work? Please explain this concept for those of us who are stupid that don't understand it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2008, 06:49 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,611,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Who are you, that thinks you can rake in a quarter-million a year off the top of the US economy, and not have any responsibility whatsoever to the well-being of America?

You did not create any new money. At the end of the year, you had $250,000 that belonged to somebody else at the beginning of the year. And the nation and the community, who have paid you all that money our of their own pockets, making you wealthier than 95% of Americans can even imagine, have no right at all to expect anything back from you? There are very few people that I have absolutely no respect or admiration for, but occasionally one pops up..

I don't know you, but I will bet that not only do you not work your arse off, but you have never done a day's work in your life that you could not have done wearing Gucci shoes. You "make" $1,000 a day "working your arse off"---about a quarter of the people in the world do work that would physically kill you in a week, and make less than that in a whole year.

I'm not going to tell you a hard luck story, because I was born as lucky as you, I just didn't spend my whole life grabbing a thousand dollars a day from people who were less lucky than I was, and then gloating over it on message boards and daring people to try to ask me to do something for those beneath me. If you want to brag about yourself, tell us about the gaudy trinkets you buy to ostentationsly show off to the peasants. If we could do our lives over again, and I could choose mine or yours, yours is not even under consideration. I've heard you sob story, and I don't have one. I haven't earned one.

Moderator: Yes, this is personal---but the OP specifically asked, dared, me to tell him what I think.

Can you explain to me how you came to the conclusion that it was "our" money?

If I find a lump of gold in the river one day, and sell it, how is that "America's Money"?

Maybe one should look in the mirror as to who really is full of "Hate and Envy"

Old 11-07-2008, 07:13 AM

330 posts, read 1,095,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyG View Post
Who are you?

Who are this "group" of middle class "poor is me's" who are sooooo damn happy and glib to want to take from me?

WHO ARE YOU and HOW do you justify demanding something YOU DIDN'T EARN to the point that you want to take WHAT I EARNED AWAY FROM ME.
I, too, give you a pat on the back...living the "American Dream" is now being punished by those who did not "do as well" as others. While I also "work my arse off", I don't get paid what you do....but that is also a part of America (heck, the whole world has descrepancies like that)...and that is part of capitalism. Unfortunately, I don't think anyone can give you a logical reason (other than "it's government's job" to tax us)....

My daddy once told me a story as to the difference between a democrat and a republican (and I think it's true to life and holds true today)....if you take all the money away from everyone in this country and redistribute it evenly amongst everyone.....in a year's time, the rich will again be rich and the poor will again be poor.

People forget they have personal responsibilities when given monies and tend to "blow it". One poster stated something about being a good Christian and "redistributing" your wealth.....I can't think of people who are more giving than Christians, who faithfully give to their churches every Sunday. However, on that point, I DON'T attend church, but give back to my community in other ways (I volunteer in various areas of the community).

At any rate, those who think they deserve handouts will always be there...and our democracy will fall because of it....history repeats itself....and we are Rome....

"The budget should be balanced, the treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance." ~Cicero (55 BC)

Old 11-07-2008, 03:25 PM

4,440 posts, read 9,067,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyG View Post
Read: I got my mortgage on my first home in 1995. I had to jump through hoops to prove worthy of the 50K. There were no stars in my eyes. I clipped coupons and saved pennies (literally). No big screen tv's or computers or cell phones.

Read: My husband's grandfather left him 10K when he died and he bought a car with it. We weren't even married. Did nothing for me. My Grandmother left all her money to my manipulative uncle..and left it in trust with apparent stipulations that should he "deem" it, he could give a few bucks to her only two grandkids (who she called up to say good bye to b/c she was going in for heart-surgery and was determined to NOT live through it...and she didn't). So, nothing came of that.

Read: What or where or when I do what I do b/c I OWN it, what was wrong with your parents that they didn't help you? Let's say my last name was Heinz. And I ran a Heinz factory to the tune of 80 -90 hours + a week. Does that mean I wouldn't deserve what I have?

Do you really think that someone who gets one week a year off (should the stars align) no sick days, no holidays off (yep, including Christmas) DOES NOT earn what they do? There's no "over-time pay" . There's no 401K. No Union. No pension. No portion of healthcare paid for. We had hospitalization coverage ONLY and for years until I got pregnant with baby #1. With A $10K deductible. My first cost me $13K out of pocket. You? And I was in an inner-city hospital with people who couldn't speak a lick and signed "X" on the line. Read: "free babies".

I earn my money. And I have not one iota of guilt when it comes to what my income level is.

The streets are still paved with gold, you just have to bend at the waist to get it.

What, exactly, did your boy Obama do to earn him some $4.3 million dollars last year?

What did he do? Get over what I do or what I make, I'm pennies as far as the new messiah goes...go talk to him regarding your issues.
So you are a self made person with no help at all along the way.

Congrats.. you are the first ever.

Old 11-07-2008, 03:30 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,740,370 times
If you are talking about social planning policies. You are absolutely wrong. Most people with the intelligence and ethic necessary to succeed don't need government help.

Old 11-07-2008, 03:41 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by decembergirl View Post
Who would keep the rich people rich if the poor and middle class stopped making money?
Good point.

to the OP, I am a stay at home mom and my husband makes about $75K. We both have BS degrees, and he has a MS. As soon as my kids are in school I will go back to work. I also was a working mom for the first part of their lives. I don't feel like I "deserve" your money. It is more a feeling of the huge corporations and the wealthy NOT "deserving" tax breaks. The middle class makes up something like 95% of the country, right? That is a lot of people who feed the economy by buying food, clothing, etc. With more money to do that, we will buy more, and probably make more money for you and your company. I am not sitting here salivating over the tax break I might get. I just think it makes more sense to give 95% of the population a break, rather than the top 5% or 2% or whatever, who don't really need the break.

Old 11-07-2008, 03:55 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
To hear some of you talk, you would think that Obama is going to take your money and give cash to people who sit around all day and don't work. Guess what - it is called a "tax break" for the middle class. You can't get a tax break if you don't pay taxes (i.e. work!). As for the economic stimulus package that may or may not happen, GW has proposed that, and was responsible for the first one, so you can't blame that on Obama!

Old 11-07-2008, 05:39 PM

707 posts, read 1,293,036 times
I shared mine to the tune of $68,000 in Fed income taxes, 12,600 in state income taxes and god only knows how much sales tax. Don't feel guilty at all. And I work 6 days a week 12 hours a day and I am 55 years old. I'll be damned if I will give more to someone who wants to sit on a sofa and play xbox.

Old 11-07-2008, 05:44 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,740,370 times
jimmyP,

You really should learn how to hide your income better. It is not only good for you to do, but morally correct considering what the godvernment does with it after you give it to them. I feel for you man. If I was sending out checks like that, I would probably be laying on the front lawn of the white house dead from secret service bullet wounds with my SKS in hand.

Old 11-07-2008, 05:47 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,213,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyP View Post
I shared mine to the tune of $68,000 in Fed income taxes, 12,600 in state income taxes and god only knows how much sales tax. Don't feel guilty at all. And I work 6 days a week 12 hours a day and I am 55 years old. I'll be damned if I will give more to someone who wants to sit on a sofa and play xbox.
You state a fact that many class envy folks refuse to consider. Most successful people also tend to work long hours, sacrifice a great deal, and actually earn what they have. Your fed tax is 8 grand short of what I earned gross last year. I congradulate you. I also agree that you have more than paid your fair share.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies