Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would You Feel Right At Home Living In A City Where Less Than 10% Of Population Belong To The Same R
No I Would Not And I Am White 89 39.04%
Yes I Would And I Am White 97 42.54%
No I Would Not And I Am Black 13 5.70%
Yes I Would And I Am Black 22 9.65%
No I Would Not And I Am Hispanic 0 0%
Yes I Would And I Am Hispanic 7 3.07%
Voters: 228. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2018, 09:36 AM

72,971 posts, read 62,547,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texamichiforniasota View Post
I'm not sure exactly what the poster you replied to meant, but I took it as the poll not even including Asians.

Living on the West Coast, it always seems odd that Asians are left out of almost all discussions involving race/ethnicity. There are more than twice as many Asian people in California as there are African Americans. In fact, the breakdown for the state is 39% Hispanic, 38% White, 15% Asian, and only 6.5% African American. Oregon and Washington have twice as many Asians as African Americans as well, but both states are much less diverse.
The poll didn't include Asians, and said poster said Asians had no choice.

This is how I see things regarding Asians getting left out. Since Trump was elected, I've noticed some of my Asian friends posting about race relations on facebook. The one thing I've noticed is that some of them have said "Asians need to speak up more regarding racism". I starting thinking about something. I don't really hear much from Asian-Americans regarding racism. I'm wondering how that plays a role.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2018, 10:06 AM

72,971 posts, read 62,547,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I grew up in a black majority town and rode a school bus where I was the only white male on the bus and decided not to put my kids through that situation and moved to a state thousands of miles from where I grew up....needless to say, I voted yes. However it depends on the circumstance, I've lived in Asia and where I currently work, most of the people I work with are Asian and I have no issues other than culturally we are different. I also lived in South America with no issues.
What town did you grow up in?

Old 06-10-2018, 10:29 AM

20,758 posts, read 8,559,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
Some of the replies are so very sad. I have lived Asia in places where few people spoke English. No big deal. It appears very few people have traveled or lived overseas.
I'm white but am uneasy in majority Latino and black neighborhoods but not Asian neighborhoods. More to do with culture than skin color. I'd feel safer being a minority in a foreign country than in the US. Being a foreigner abroad confers some protection because it's a natural human trait to avoid 'otherness.'

Old 06-10-2018, 03:26 PM

15,945 posts, read 12,275,010 times
If they were asians, yes... any other race.. probably not. I would suggest anyone go and drive through an area that is 90% black. Part your car, get out, and walk around. This doesn't mean all blacks are bad.. blacks are a skin color, but they are also a culture.. I'm not a biggest fan of their culture as stereotyped by the mainstream media.. it seems to promote violence. With that said, I have black friends. They would not go live in 90% black neighborhoods either.

Old 06-10-2018, 03:29 PM

4,559 posts, read 1,434,864 times
I would like to live in a city where income tax was less then 10%.
That is all that matters to Americans.

Old 06-10-2018, 03:36 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,892,628 times
I'm white and don't mind being in neighborhoods where I am the minority. I've lived in areas where I am the minority and worked in places where I am the minority. I never felt uncomfortable or uneasy about it.

I've also lived in areas where the neighborhood has been very diverse with a mix of white/black/Asian/Hispanic and neighborhoods where it has been very,very white.

When I lived in a majority white area in middle school, there was one black family with a girl who went to school with me. We were friends and she was a bit uncomfortable as the only black person in the school. I felt bad for her.

Old 06-10-2018, 03:36 PM

48,515 posts, read 34,800,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by what'd i miss View Post
I would like to live in a city where income tax was less then 10%.
That is all that matters to Americans.

Anyway.... I do not care about the racial make-up of where I live, I am more concerned about similar economic status.

My neighbors are a huge range of nationalities and races, and we all get along fine.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 06-10-2018, 03:45 PM

1,868 posts, read 3,066,160 times
I already do. The area I live in are pretty much equal parts Black, White, Asian, and Hispanic. Coming from a majority white area, it felt a little strange at first but I got used to it pretty quickly. Now it feels strange when I’m in a majority white area.

Either way, as long as you treat everyone with respect and kindness, you’ll get it in return no matter the cultural background.

Old 06-10-2018, 04:05 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,878,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kereczr View Post
To be perfectly honest, it would depend on the socioeconomic class of the people that I would be living with.
Bingo!

Old 06-10-2018, 04:08 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,878,217 times
I’ll probably retire in the Philippines. Only way to retire at 63 and have affordable healthcare
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies