Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would You Feel Right At Home Living In A City Where Less Than 10% Of Population Belong To The Same R
No I Would Not And I Am White 89 39.04%
Yes I Would And I Am White 97 42.54%
No I Would Not And I Am Black 13 5.70%
Yes I Would And I Am Black 22 9.65%
No I Would Not And I Am Hispanic 0 0%
Yes I Would And I Am Hispanic 7 3.07%
Voters: 228. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2018, 06:44 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,227,000 times

Advertisements

I don’t know the exact demographics, but my neighborhood is mostly recent immigrants from Asian and the Middle East, and maybe 15-20% white. The language barrier and cultural differences can be tough at times, and many of our Muslim neighbors were cautious with us at first (I can’t blame them, really), but it’s a nice neighborhood. They all value education, hard work, discipline, and family; after fighting and clawing our way out of poverty, that’s the influence Mr.Ginge and I want our children surrounded by.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2018, 06:40 AM

2,678 posts, read 1,699,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
If they were asians, yes... any other race.. probably not. I would suggest anyone go and drive through an area that is 90% black. Part your car, get out, and walk around. This doesn't mean all blacks are bad.. blacks are a skin color, but they are also a culture.. I'm not a biggest fan of their culture as stereotyped by the mainstream media.. it seems to promote violence. With that said, I have black friends. They would not go live in 90% black neighborhoods either.
Violence is as American “culture” as apple pie. And that applies not only to just to black or Latino people. I’m black and violence is not a part of my way life or “my culture.”

You mentioned “mainstream media” which is quite interesting so I already know, instantly know what your perception of black people is.

Old 06-11-2018, 06:51 AM

30,355 posts, read 19,128,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
If they were asians, yes... any other race.. probably not. I would suggest anyone go and drive through an area that is 90% black. Part your car, get out, and walk around. This doesn't mean all blacks are bad.. blacks are a skin color, but they are also a culture.. I'm not a biggest fan of their culture as stereotyped by the mainstream media.. it seems to promote violence. With that said, I have black friends. They would not go live in 90% black neighborhoods either.
What I'm about to say violates the law of Political Correctness but there's a good reason for white flight. I grew up in a black majority town and played on many basketball teams as the only white player on the team and I would not choose to live in a city that is 90% black. That being said, most blacks are excellent people and I do appreciate the black men and women that I work with now, the past and who I served in the Air Force with.

I've lived and worked in Korea, China, Mongolia and other countries as a minority and have had no problem with it.

Old 06-11-2018, 09:27 AM

72,976 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxx View Post
Violence is as American “culture” as apple pie. And that applies not only to just to black or Latino people. I’m black and violence is not a part of my way life or “my culture.”

You mentioned “mainstream media” which is quite interesting so I already know, instantly know what your perception of black people is.
I grew up in a predominantly White area. I ran into some violent White people (and have been assaulted a few times). Where I lived had a considerable redneck constituency. Some violent persons involved.

As a side note, one can be southern and a country boy without being a redneck.

Old 06-11-2018, 11:23 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,705,622 times
I'm white. I've lived in a city where 10% of the population was the same race as me. It's difficult to make friends because people usually like to stick to their own race. Also, people from different races are usually raised differently and have different experiences, so it's hard to have a real connection with someone so different.

Old 06-11-2018, 12:01 PM

3,458 posts, read 1,453,778 times
I grew up in several other countries, and have also lived in areas of the U.S. where I am the minority. Since I'm mixed I'm not sure that it counts. lol Part of me is in the minority at one time or another. Even at family gatherings.

Living in a foreign country really teaches you the need for assimilation though. It's taken as a matter of respect. You learn to share what you miss without getting angry about what they don't have. It's a good lesson to learn.

America is a very unique country, and very diverse in a way most others are not. Americans seem to allow a great deal of clustering into mini-countries within where even if you're in America you don't have to assimilate to get by as much.

Old 06-11-2018, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I'm white. I've lived in a city where 10% of the population was the same race as me. It's difficult to make friends because people usually like to stick to their own race. Also, people from different races are usually raised differently and have different experiences, so it's hard to have a real connection with someone so different.
I'm Black, I lived in a county that was less than 10% Black for a long time. I went to middle school and high school there (though the high school had more Blacks, around 15%). I had trouble fitting in with alot of Whites or Blacks. For me, "sticking to my own race" is something I'm not into. I never felt like I needed to stick to me own race. I had trouble fitting in anyway. I lived in a place with a sizable redneck subculture. Being a nerdy, bookworm-ish Black kid, I caught problems all over. Some of the White kids messed with me, as well as some of the Black kids. Alot of skateboarder types and rednecks messed with me, in some cases it was racially motivated. Some of the Black kids looked at me as "not being Black enough" or me being "lame".

In short, it did not matter what the demographics were. You can be around people of your own race and still have trouble fitting in.

Old 06-11-2018, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokinouta View Post
I grew up in several other countries, and have also lived in areas of the U.S. where I am the minority. Since I'm mixed I'm not sure that it counts. lol Part of me is in the minority at one time or another. Even at family gatherings.

Living in a foreign country really teaches you the need for assimilation though. It's taken as a matter of respect. You learn to share what you miss without getting angry about what they don't have. It's a good lesson to learn.

America is a very unique country, and very diverse in a way most others are not. Americans seem to allow a great deal of clustering into mini-countries within where even if you're in America you don't have to assimilate to get by as much.
I've never been outside of the country. However, I can see how assimilation in another country is necessary. In my case, I'm so used to being a minority in America that I'm like "whatever". I don't worry about being in the minority. I worry about how I'm treated.

In my own experience, I lived in a place for a long time without fully assimilating to it. I think about where I went to middle school and high school. I know the culture in that area. A few aspects I might share, but for the most part, I never assimilated. I did my own thing. I got used to doing it. I felt like I could never fit in and after a while, I stopped trying.

Old 06-11-2018, 12:55 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,705,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I'm Black, I lived in a county that was less than 10% Black for a long time. I went to middle school and high school there (though the high school had more Blacks, around 15%). I had trouble fitting in with alot of Whites or Blacks. For me, "sticking to my own race" is something I'm not into. I never felt like I needed to stick to me own race. I had trouble fitting in anyway. I lived in a place with a sizable redneck subculture. Being a nerdy, bookworm-ish Black kid, I caught problems all over. Some of the White kids messed with me, as well as some of the Black kids. Alot of skateboarder types and rednecks messed with me, in some cases it was racially motivated. Some of the Black kids looked at me as "not being Black enough" or me being "lame".

In short, it did not matter what the demographics were. You can be around people of your own race and still have trouble fitting in.
In this case I think it's more about culture and upbringing rather than race.

A fishermen in France has more in common with an American fisherman than he does with a wealthy Parisian.

I taught French and German at a high school in rural Missouri. The Spanish teacher was from Mexico and didn't have many friends. People kept telling her "go make some friends with the Mexican workers at the poultry plant". She said that besides being from Mexico, they have almost nothing in common, so it would be difficult to even talk to them.

Old 06-11-2018, 06:53 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Jarrett View Post
Would You Feel Comfortable Living In A City Where Less Than 10% Of The Population Belong To The Same Race As You ? (Mexicans, racist)
Once again, the Asians are left out. And why I don't consider myself a "person of colour" or supportive of any of their causes.

And yes, I would feel very comfortable living in a city where less than 10% of the population is Asian. I do it all of the time!!!

However, I self-identify as a person living the CULTURE of a white middle class person. I have frequently told others in real life that I am an anglo-phile.

So for this poll, I would answer as a white person would be unhappy living in a city where whites were in the minority. I would not want to ever live in an area where Latinos or blacks were in the majority. And for four reasons, as a woman I don't want to be immersed in a macho culture dominated neighborhood or city, secondly I prefer to be surrounded by academics aka geeky neighbors or ones originating from European heritage. Third, I have personally observed that Latino and black neighbors are very noisy at night with their parties, and also the sidewalks in their areas are littered with trash. Lastly, pit bulls are popular in those areas, and I stay away from dogs like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies