Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 05:22 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
The question is, if abortion became illegal, would there be 1.3M unwanted children in this country, or will people learn to take precautions and be more responsible?
History says the former.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2011, 08:02 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,461,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
You now what is hypocrisy?Those that are for funding abortion by the government taking peoples taxes giving no say so to refuse to pay for it yet many who support that and are pro choice use the excuse of "who will pay for all the kids in foster homes?" as a reason for justiying abortion.And we know what political party supports federal funding for abortion.

To those that are pro choice and don't mind forcing people to pay for abortions using tax money someone needs to force you to pay for foster care homes.If you like big government so much well there you go,pony up and pay,or are you selfish greedy mean spirited?
Money should not be driving this issue.

We're talking about lives here. This is so much bigger than who is willing to pay for what.

Old 06-05-2011, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreAristotle View Post
Well, you're right. Being a lesbian you don't really have a high chance of getting pregnant (I have a lot of gay friends and I, myself, and bi so I don't really have much of a negative stance on that :P), but my only argument against the rape issue is, taking it out on an unborn child will, in my opinion, not make you feel better about the fact you got raped. I'd go after the rapist, first and foremost. That is just ME though, and I don't expect everyone to believe the same as me, ya know? But I know that's the action I would take.

As for the government's role in abortion, perhaps you are right. As long as abortion is legal, government should have NO say, as well as NO PART in abortion. No funding, nothing. Let that be up to the people and the clinics to stay open, but government needs to stay out of it, perhaps that'll help clear up certain issues pertaining it.
I've been raped. If I had gotten pregnant from it I would not have had the child, especially since I was a child myself. For me it would be about two things:

1) How would my child feel about knowing they were the product of rape? I can't lie to my kids, and don't understand how other parents can, so they would have to know.

2) Could I look in my child's eye and not think about the rape? Or would it always be there to haunt me? Would I be able to see my child as my child, or would the fact she was a rape baby taint my mind forever?

I can understand how abortion as a means of birth control is a debate, but not giving rape victims the choice to abort is out of the question for me. No rape victim should have to raise the product of their rape.

Old 06-05-2011, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ressie Baby View Post

just think of it this way most parents dont tell their adopted children that they are adopted till much later if at all how would you feel if you woke up one day and your mom was your mom then you woke up the next and found out that your mom and dad arent your mom and dad ... then you start to wonde what would have happened if i wasnt adopted and i was aborted well at least you have thoughts and you werent aborted it really starts to make you think~!!!~
I would be heartbroken. I am so glad my parents told me I was adopted from day one. Their honesty means the world to me. They have friends who have not told their children that they're adopted, and I can't even talk to them about it. It makes me cry. How can you lie to your own child so big time? What's the shame in telling your child they're adopted? How could it be worse than lying to your child about their very own identity?

Old 06-05-2011, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
Neither is your post.
Nothing invalid about being glad I am alive.
If I wasn't born and didn't know it is not a valid point either.

"Mom, you have the right to kill me if I am inconvenient to you" is a sad thought.
It's way more than just an "inconvenience" in a lot of cases. I won't go into the details of my story, but my mom didn't just get pregnant and go "oops." She was in very difficult circumstances. If she had aborted me, she would have had a very good reason for doing so. I am still shocked to this day that she didn't, and wonder if the only reason she didn't is because I was so premature.

Old 06-05-2011, 10:43 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
Quote:
Neither is your post.
Nothing invalid about being glad I am alive.
If I wasn't born and didn't know it is not a valid point either.

"Mom, you have the right to kill me if I am inconvenient to you" is a sad thought.
My post was on topic and relevant to the "what if your mom aborted you" posts. And "inconvienent" is a loaded word, also not really valid the way it's used most of the time, like how you used it for example. The woman and her life will always trump a potential life and nobody know what she will face if she goes through with a pregnancy. That's why it's a MYOB issue.

Old 06-05-2011, 10:58 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,240,443 times
If you are going to give up a white healthy baby at birth, the child has a good chance of being adopted into a home. Of course, it is an incredible sacrifice to go through pregnancy and birth, and often the raging hormones will outweigh common sense and cause the birth mother to keep the baby and thereby doom herself, that child, and more to come, to a life of poverty, hopelessness, and misery.

If the child is NOT white or healthy, then you're just hoping the child won't have a life of hell. That's the way the statistics run.

Personally, I don't by the organized religion line that a fertilized zygote is a full human being, since that makes no scientific sense at all. Of course organized religions wish to maximize the number of their followers--that increases their wealth and power. But we should all understand that probably 1/3 of all fertilized eggs are flushed out of the woman's body before a birth, most without anybody knowing. That's nature. So the idea that every human woman should be just a incubating factory, meant to produce more humans, is ridiculous.

It is even more ridiculous in a world of grotesque overpopulation, where even getting a low-paying job is now too much to ask, and where very few can afford to buy a patch of land where they can be free of the seething, noisy, aggressive and annoying masses of humanity.

In today's world, pretty much every problem can be traced back to too many people, fighting for limited resources. And that's sad, considering the world is huge, but we managed to overfill it ALREADY with over 6 billion very large animals that have incredible impact due to their practices. We could have had paradise if we just had more intelligence than two gerbils in a cage, who also will breed until they destroy their environment and themselves.

Old 06-06-2011, 07:07 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
It's an alternative but not the only alternative.

Old 06-06-2011, 09:00 PM

Quote:
My Mom is in favor of Abortion.
I was conceived before marriage.
Likely I would not be here now if it wasn't illegal then.
The flip side of that is pregnant women who attempt to self-abort behind closed doors. The medical risk is much greater.

I'm glad you're alive and I'm glad I'm alive.

That said, I still fully support the choice to abort regardless of how close to home it hits for me. It's even possible the only reason she didn't abort me is because I popped out before she got around to it.

Another thing to consider is: how many would-be abusive, drug-ridden, crippling, unstable and dysfunctional childhoods are spared every time a women chooses to abort?

Old 06-06-2011, 09:08 PM

1,692 posts, read 1,959,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Yes, and no.

As an individual who was born when adoptions were illegal, and was then adopted, I am thankful everyday that abortions were illegal during that period of time because I seriously doubt that I would be here today if they were legal.

Add to this the fact that my natural twin sister was also adopted, and my parents adopted another boy because they were unable to have children.

Follow this up to today, my fiance is unable to have children, and we have chosen to adopt two other children who were drug addicted at birth. They also were half brother/sister. It took us over two years to go from deciding to adopt, to day of adoption.

Adoption is an alternative to abortion, but only so far in that there has to be enough individuals willing to take them in. When there is a surplus, then they of course end up in group homes and eventually prison.

The only real alternative to abortion is teaching abstinance, and while some mistakes will always happen, you then hope that there are families out there willing to take in those "mistakes". Right now thought, 1.3M mistakes a year are not mistakes, its an epidemic and a tragedy.
I agree, but where abstinence is taught, teenage birth rates are higher. Abstinence is only one form of sexual education. This country really needs to grow up and have an adult conversation about sex ed. Teaching teenagers how to use a condom or birth control is not an endorsement to have sex, but will prevent them from getting pregnant if they do have sex.

We need to face the fact that teenagers have been having sex long before any of us here were ever born. Some of us are the result of teenagers having sex - I am. Teenagers will continue to have sex, and there's really nothing we can do to stop it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies