Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 01:23 PM

13,601 posts, read 21,385,992 times

Advertisements

Are you good hearted and caring as a person because government creates policies or because you were raised that way or became that way as a individual?

Government taking your money to "help" doesn't make you a good person,what you do by freewill decides that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2008, 01:41 PM

4,280 posts, read 11,310,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Government taking your money to "help" doesn't make you a good person,what you do by freewill decides that.
Someone needs to tell Senator Biden this...

Old 11-04-2008, 01:49 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,792,673 times
And if we lived in a society of all "good" people like those here in our forum we would be cruising.

Unfortunately, many people need the government's assistance to help them help some of the less fortunate amongst us, which in the end benefits society as a whole.

Old 11-04-2008, 01:50 PM

3,457 posts, read 4,651,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminiGal View Post
Exactly. I want to pick who I help. Our family has decided to sponsor a family for Christmas (food & 1 gift for each family member) as well as another needy family for Thanksgiving dinner.

I am considered wealthy under Obama's tax plan, so if he gets elected I might have to rethink my spending habits and decide against being so charitable.
I agree with this way of thinking. It is help via altruism (which needs to be taught a lot more) instead of help through control and obligation. It also absolves people of the responsibility of helping others if they feel that the government does it for them.

I hear a radio host talking about how he saw a mentally disabled person on the ground in NYC and people were walking right over him/her. No one stopped to help that person up. Isn't this a very pervasive attitude in society today? We need to move away from the mentality of "someone else will take care of it" which is only fostered by big government thinking.

Old 11-04-2008, 01:54 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
lol! Yes, that is why there is no section 8 housing in this country, no free education for the first 12 years plus kindergarten, no head start, no free and/or reduced breakfast and lunch programs, no WIC, no food stamps, no Pell Grants.....oh, these mean mean conservatives
Those things exist in spite of the conservatives. Most conservatives are in favor of abolishing most or all of the above. A lot less of their hard-earned money would get stolen from them if they just blame poverty on the irresponsibility of adults who were semi-retarded in the first place and grew up parked in front of a TV in an abusive and malnourished home.

You think we have Section 8 housing? Here's an exercise for you. See if you can find out how and where to sign up for Section 8 housing, and then come back and tell me how long the waiting list is.

In fact, set your timer for right now, and see if you can talk to a human being at a state social services agency. Come back in an hour and tell me if you got through or not. Then, drive over there, (you have a car, but the people the agency serves often don't) and sit in the wwaiting room for an hour. Listen to the telephone ring continuously. See how many times somebody answers it.

Old 11-04-2008, 01:57 PM

3,088 posts, read 5,352,508 times
If you are considered "wealthy" under Obamas plan, then I think you are being very very stingy!

Old 11-04-2008, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Are you good hearted and caring as a person because government creates policies or because you were raised that way or became that way as a individual?

this is true, but it is also true that a government can be judged by how it treats its most needy citizens. There is no need pit choosing to be individually generous with choosing to contribute to the good of all through supporting fair taxation policies. That is what I did when I voted for Obama! I will continue to give to the private charities that I find compelling, while realizing that in our current society, there are many more that need "help" than what i can individually "do for". Therefore, I need a government who will commit not only to the short term help of individual assistance, but even more importantly, to the long term help of really good education for each child, (and yes, that included intervention when the child is cold or hungry or abused or neglected) It includes medical care that is both comprehensive for preventitive measures, that covers "emergency measures", and that is affordable for all. The only way to truly support opportunity for all who are able to take advantage of it, is to correct those "societal" problems that keep people in poverty, that deny them real choice, etc. etc.

Old 11-04-2008, 02:16 PM

897 posts, read 2,824,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cap1717 View Post
If you are considered "wealthy" under Obamas plan, then I think you are being very very stingy!
Oh, really. That is just ONE of the many things that our family does or considers doing every year. Sorry, but $250K is not wealthy even IF you live well below your means.

Saving for retirement, kids college, and helping pay for elder parent care is a huge financial burden. Would you rather us rely on the goverment for SS, let kids indebt themselves with schooling and have our parents be in medicaid funded nursing facilities. Then you'd complain that were wealthy and dipping into the government cookie jar, wouldn't you? Folks like me are in a no-win situation!

Sorry, but if Obama considers us wealthy, the the fat must be cut somewhere. I choose to take care of MY family first, before all others!
Stingy, so be it!

Old 11-04-2008, 02:27 PM

Gosh, "wealthy" is a matter of perspective, just like anything else. My parents gave 10 % to charity each year, lived very modestly, and were unable to finance the college education of their kids, but we all managed to get those college degrees anyhow, we all have good "professional" jobs, and we all live very modestly and contribute as much as we can to charitable causes. Part of the "argument" here is defining mine / yours as seperate things, (and NO, I am not talking about communism). What I am talking about is a world view that values "mine" more than it values "yours". . . or an EGO CENTRIC world view. . . . .
Also, so much of modern society lives without the concept that "enough is enough". . . too many seem to want / need too much, and in this condition, no amount of "wealth" will ever be enough!

Old 11-04-2008, 02:30 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,560,035 times
Again, I am amazed that someone thinks $250K a year is not wealthy. What bubble are you living in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies