Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 02:39 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,764,069 times

Advertisements

I don't agree with an increase in welfare checks or government-sponsored social programs.

I talked to my grandmother last night and she said Obama's candidacy should show african americans that they no longer have any excuses. Sure racism is out there but if Barack Obama can get this far, there is no reason why you can't either.

As a black person, I don't feel like my life will be magically better because he is president. Sure it's nice that he is part black but even if he wasn't, he'd still have my vote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2008, 02:44 PM

1,653 posts, read 4,290,007 times
Oh I am sure there will be plenty of "hand ups" as he calls them. He has to in order to insure his 2nd term. He and Michelle only give donations to black organizations ( per their tax returns) so I am sure he will make sure when he is driving the ship, plenty that comes out of our pockets will end up being given out as "hand ups". (his words, not mine. I call it hand outs)

Today I on the news I saw an interview with an inner city woman saying" Oh yes, she is so haooy because when Obama is president she won't have to worry about buying groceries, paying her mortagage or filling her gas tank. So she is obviously expecting a lot. They labeled her Peggy the Moocher! ROFL

Old 11-04-2008, 03:32 PM

3,695 posts, read 11,355,464 times
Obama has been pretty consistent on this topic. He says that the country has to realize that the field of opportunities isn't even yet. But he also says that the black community must realize that they are the masters of their own destiny and their lives and lot won't change unless they take responsibility for their own futures.

Old 11-04-2008, 03:38 PM

8,275 posts, read 12,835,765 times
I don't think that is possible. I think we will see a resurgence in education for young blacks as they will have something tangible to strive for. No longer can someone say you can do that. When Tiger Woods one his Masters young blacks learned of the game of golf. I think now they will look at politics and education in a new light. It is about time this barrier has fallen. now for the female barrier.
If you wonder I am a white male. As WASP as you can get and more than most. But I am liberal.. I did vote for Nader after all.

Old 11-04-2008, 04:51 PM

254 posts, read 327,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by big mean bear View Post
What If Barack wins... and doesn't improve black America one bit? The methods that Barack Obama is going to use to reduce African-American poverty if he is elected president -- welfare checks and government sponsored social programs - are known failures.

If Obama doesn't improve the condition of black America, will he be considered a traitor? A fake? A false prophet? Or will his most important constituency hypocritically say that everything he did was right, and that he is the saviour of the world, even if conditions within the black community continued to nose dive in his presidential term?
Black people don't need Obama to help them, remember there are poor whites also. Poverty is not a "black and white" issue. If Obama is going to help poor AMERICANS why is that a problem for you. How do you feel about president Bush not doing anything to help "poor people". If the conditions for poor blacks continue to nose dive, you as an American should be concerned, we are all Americans. It is time to stop the divisions

Old 11-04-2008, 04:57 PM

5,232 posts, read 8,396,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
I don't think that is possible. I think we will see a resurgence in education for young blacks as they will have something tangible to strive for. No longer can someone say you can do that. When Tiger Woods one his Masters young blacks learned of the game of golf. I think now they will look at politics and education in a new light. It is about time this barrier has fallen. now for the female barrier.
If you wonder I am a white male. As WASP as you can get and more than most. But I am liberal.. I did vote for Nader after all.

Its been a good while since race restricted people from moving up. The biggest thing keeping them down anymore are the Sharptons & Jacksons who wouldn't have much to do if they told the truth.

Obama made this about race & its funny since he is as white as he is black. Of course he needed to motivate the black community to get out & vote,,, based on race.

Old 11-04-2008, 05:13 PM

223 posts, read 537,177 times
No, it's not about race. Just ask the Black Panthers in Philadelphia, or the gang bangers waiting in line to vote that can't even speak English or hold a job....no, heck no, it's not about race! LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreAristotle View Post
All I'm going to say is: Stop making this about race. STOP IT. This isn't about race!!!!!

"Black America"... What if he doesn't improve ANY of America? What is what you need to be asking.

Old 11-04-2008, 05:29 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,491,742 times
Quote:
What If Barack wins... and doesn't improve black America one bit? The methods that Barack Obama is going to use to reduce African-American poverty if he is elected president -- welfare checks and government sponsored social programs - are known failures.

If Obama doesn't improve the condition of black America, will he be considered a traitor? A fake? A false prophet? Or will his most important constituency hypocritically say that everything he did was right, and that he is the saviour of the world, even if conditions within the black community continued to nose dive in his presidential term?
Black America is just simply America. We are Americans. We do not look to Barack to improve "our" condition alone. We look to him to improve the state of the nation. We all survive or we will all perish.

Was George W Bush "White" America's President? Do you feel that GWB is a traitor? A fake? A false prophet?

It is time to move beyond the "them" and "us" mentality. We are in 2008. This is the dawning of a new day. We have an opportunity to move forward from our past (of which some is good and some is not). We need to move toward being a country united for the cause of American greatest and to regain our prominence in the world view.

Old 11-04-2008, 05:33 PM

951 posts, read 3,702,300 times
Quote:

Actually, Memphis Mayor is still around after more then a decade of failure so I don't think that that matter. And Memphis is more then 60% black.

Old 11-04-2008, 05:36 PM

1,372 posts, read 3,758,392 times
Since Obama has been deemed a "messiah" by so many, prophet status means that Obama will be a "false prophet" if he doesn't deliver...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies