Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2008, 06:21 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
I'd say there's probably legal implications as well. If you're not married, how can you adopt; or would just one party adopt the child? If the second party leaves, is there child support? Things like that...
It depends, I'm unmarried and have adopted two children.

First child I adopted with my fiance
Second child I adopted on my own.

Without going into the reasons why they were different, the adoption agencies had a very difficult time letting us adopt at all. One agency refused to work with us because we were not married. The biggest issue is stability in a household.

What many fail to understand is the number of people who end up getting divorced over adopting. Families are not prepared to deal with the sudden change in lifestyles, the amount of stress, medical, emotional issues, and lets not even discuss the outside family pressure issues.

The number of couples who seperate after adopting if not married is astounding, and that has nothing to do with being gay or straight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2008, 06:22 PM

271 posts, read 583,136 times
This is great news! way to go arkansas!

Old 11-05-2008, 07:17 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,299,945 times
Glad they did it.

Old 11-05-2008, 07:22 PM

64 posts, read 131,128 times
If someone disagrees with you, then they must be "backward." How progressive.

Old 11-05-2008, 07:45 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,198,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
Arkansas voters passed the Unmarried Couple Adoption Ban.

The Associated Press: Ark. voters OK unmarried foster, adoption bans

so when obama got elected it is america has spoken, but when a voters of a state decides an unpopular decision it is disgusting?

how hypocritical of you.

Old 11-05-2008, 08:03 PM

109 posts, read 292,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuSuSushi View Post
Arkansas voters passed the Unmarried Couple Adoption Ban.

The Associated Press: Ark. voters OK unmarried foster, adoption bans
We're sorry.

You know, I don't agree with it either, but maybe you California people will quit moving here if you think we're so backward.

Old 11-05-2008, 08:24 PM

1,718 posts, read 2,425,156 times
I have debated all afternoon on whether or not to say this but continuing to read the comments I have here and in the Prop 8 thread has eaten through my restraint.

I realize some of you are very happy that...gays won't have the right to adopt I guess since the bulk of this issue appears to surround that. Those that appear happy seem to be responding to that side of the issue.

That is fine. I respect and support your right to say it and your right to believe it even if I don't agree with you.

At the same time I wish that those that are so obviously thrilled could try to contain even a little bit of that outward display. Because, I guess just because perhaps it is the nice, compassionate thing to do. I suppose I am trying to appeal to the better side of your natures.

At the end of the day whether gays were allowed to adopt or not or any other 'gay' issue does not affect your life. Your life will change not one iota in how you live it day to day. You've lost nothing. You will lose nothing.

The other side of it is that we, those of us that are gay have lost. We lose every time one of these protective measures go through. It does affect our lives personally. We agonize over the decisions and worry about what might be taken away next. Or what restrictions will be placed on our personal lives next.

These decisions for us are deeply personal. Your lives won't change, ours will and do. Please, just try to keep that in mind as your celebrating your win that goes beyond politics. We're real people too and every win for you whether it be a moral victory or word victory, a belief victory or any other qualification you want to put on it remains an actual day to day living loss for us. While you celebrate we hurt, grieve and cry.

Before anyone tries to point out that if you don't live in Arkansas it doesn't affect you, I ask you to remember first that we live under a judicial system where precedent matters. What one state does affects another.

Most of all, on this issue, I am saddened for the loss of straight unmarrieds losing the right to adopt because people would rather limit that too then to risk us having the right to do so.

Last edited by SGrey; 11-05-2008 at 08:33 PM..

Old 11-05-2008, 09:11 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveTodayLez08 View Post
Yeah, it was taking a lot out of me to NOT cry at work today.
Maybe in a few days I'll stop all these suicide fantasies but...right now, I just feel like getting my razor blade out and just going back to self mutilation.
And you want to adopt a child when you have suicidal thoughts over something like this?

Old 11-05-2008, 09:13 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,787,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
And you want to adopt a child when you have suicidal thoughts over something like this?
I don't EVER want kids.

The intent behind the law is what gets me.

Old 11-05-2008, 09:56 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveTodayLez08 View Post
I don't EVER want kids.

The intent behind the law is what gets me.
See post #82, and maybe you'll see that its not just a gay issue..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies