Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2008, 11:55 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,786,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathagos View Post
But that's where you're not seeing the point LTL. Kaykay was right when she said we live in a society (democratic society) where the majority still get to say what is acceptable or not through the vote. Whether the reason is religiously-based, scientifically-based, or ignorance-based, we all have the right to express ourselves through our votes.

Fortunately or unfortunately, it appears that many Americans (as demonstrated through popular votes) don't agree with what you see as your life. If this was an easy topic to wrestle, it would already be done.

Americans vote on Constitutional amendments, laws, and other legislative matters. Things from gun control, to first amendment issues, to bills. Your right to choose who to marry is just as important to you as a right for an individual to own a gun is to someone else. That's why the right to vote is our most valuable tool as Americans. You may think guns are wrong and lead to violence, and that may be a very valid reason to you to vote down a proposition on individuals to own that specific gun. But it's taking away another individual's right who's adamant the other way.

The bottom line is our country is founded on the ability of the majority to pre-determine our destiny as an entire nation. That has proven fallable in the past and we have been able to overcome many injustices... in time. It may come to pass in the future that same-sex marriages will be allowed. But not until the majority sees it that way. To do otherwise would be undemocratic and almost communistic in nature.

It is unfortunate for those that are in the minority, but if you have a better way to govern, I'm sure others will listen.

Ahhh...I see.
So it was RIGHT for the majority to keep African Americans enslaved?
It was RIGHT for the majority to make interracial marriage illegal?
It was RIGHT to deny African Americans the right to vote?

I do not think the rights of the minority should be left up to a vote by the majority.

In any case, what's done is done.
There are plenty of countries I can move to should I get really fed up with this crap.

I would love to see the country just split into Liberals and Conservatives. Why go through all the bickering?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2008, 11:59 AM

3,326 posts, read 5,340,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Now THAT is hilarious! Are you a bible thumper? Pot, meet kettle.

I am no bible thumper but unlike you I am not so terrified of not being pc that I spew out support for things like incest.

Your posts are so typical "Anyone can do what they want" and you seem afraid to break from that even when you know its wrong.

Again you support incest marriage you said it yourself that speaks for itself.
That post should be what people point out if they waste time "debating" with you.

Your no different than a Neocon your just the other close minded extreme

Old 11-07-2008, 12:11 PM

4,147 posts, read 8,001,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
I really want to know, if you are opposed to gay marriage.. WHY?

How does a same sex couple having the same legal rights of a straight couple hurt you? How does that take away from your marriage or anyone else's marraige? How would YOU suffer if a gay couple is allowed to hold the title of legally married (not in the religious sense, but only in the legal sense?)

All I see is those opposing a gay marriage in the legal sense as causing others to suffer when. This is what I see;

Gay couples being allowed to marry legally (not religiously) - Gay couples are happy, Straight couples/people unaffected.

Gay couples NOT being allowed to marry - again, straight couples unaffected.. GAY couples, however, suffering!

Where does that makes sense!
The great thing about this country is because they want to if a good enought answer.

Who is anyone to say that gays should be aloud to marry???

Old 11-07-2008, 12:11 PM

2,449 posts, read 5,949,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveTodayLez08 View Post
Ahhh...I see.

I do not think the rights of the minority should be left up to a vote by the majority.

There are plenty of countries I can move to should I get really fed up with this crap.

I would love to see the country just split into Liberals and Conservatives. Why go through all the bickering?
Noooo... you need to stop seeing what you WANT to see in posts.

My last paragraph said...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathagos View Post
The bottom line is our country is founded on the ability of the majority to pre-determine our destiny as an entire nation. That has proven fallable in the past and we have been able to overcome many injustices... in time. It may come to pass in the future that same-sex marriages will be allowed. But not until the majority sees it that way.
Aside from my mispelling "fallible" (which can mean "false"), it states that we have done things incorrectly in the past, but were not able to be seen as an injustice at the time. Since then, we have corrected many things. I think only time will tell us if this is the case again or not. I wouldn't presume to be wise enough to know the answer to this.

Old 11-07-2008, 12:12 PM

870 posts, read 1,626,757 times
Quote:
Ahhh...I see.

as long as you liberals get the southern half of the country that is fine since you guys want to allow illegals in. and yes, i am from texas.

Old 11-07-2008, 12:12 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,268,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Of course. But what about the priests that have 'homesexual inclinations' and instead of accepting it, they turn to molesting little boys. Or, the homosexuals that just suppress those feelings, get married to a person of the opposite sex, have children, then realize they're living a lie and break up the family? Sometimes, feelings that are inborn are too strong to fully suppress for a lifetime.
Well, again, discussion of the merits of this is beyond the scope of this thread. The fact of the matter is that homosexuals are free to live as they please in this country. They are still free to set their own course as to what seems right to them and how they choose to live. But that still doesn't mean that society is obligated to allow the label of "marriage" to be applied to gay unions.

Old 11-07-2008, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by booker_one View Post
as long as you liberals get the southern half of the country that is fine since you guys want to allow illegals in. and yes, i am from texas.
Awww man...I actually like Texas.
I guess I can visit, will that be allowed? **pokes lip out**

Old 11-07-2008, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Well, again, discussion of the merits of this is beyond the scope of this thread. The fact of the matter is that homosexuals are free to live as they please in this country. They are still free to set their own course as to what seems right to them and how they choose to live. But that still doesn't mean that society is obligated to allow the label of "marriage" to be applied to gay unions.
Fine with me, just give me the same rights, privileges, benefits, etc of marriage and you can call it whatever you like.

Old 11-07-2008, 12:19 PM

2,654 posts, read 5,465,602 times
Default There is no right to marry

What is this "right" to marriage?? There is no "right to marry".

There is a right to equal protection under the law. Under current law, everyone, regardlesss of sexual orientation, can enter into a marriage with an individual of the opposite sex. Period. Everyone has the same, equal, abilty to do so under the law.

If you do not wish to exercise the legal option of marrying someone of the opposite sex, you may enter a domestic partnership. Domestic partnership provides (in California) all the same legal standing rights and priveleges as a marriage in the eyes of the law. Everyone, regardless of sexual orientation, of legal age has access to this opportunity as well.

Everyone is being treated equally.

Old 11-07-2008, 12:19 PM

870 posts, read 1,626,757 times
Quote:
Awww man...I actually like Texas.
I guess I can visit, will that be allowed? **pokes lip out**
no need to. i said i will give you guys the south. you can actually stay where you are if you want to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies